Words to Change the World

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the narcissistic members of the Trump cult are going normalize the use of words like "bigly", fake news, and, alternative facts, then I propose the introduction of positive words to adjust the landscape of this modern mind war, and combat the psyops onslaught against us. With that in mind I offer you:

Helpy
Helpier
Helpiest

Examples:

It's good to be helpy.

Our government could be helpier.

The best government is the helpiest government.

What positive words do you suggest we add to the lexicon? Anyway, idle thoughts, vaguely of an activist nature.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Deplorable, Deplorablier, Deplorabliest

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What positive words do you suggest we add to the lexicon? Anyway, idle thoughts, vaguely of an activist nature.

These are words for us to use, right? Not for convincing Tmurp supporters of anything?

I don't love invented words, unless they're already widely in use and then I shrug and stop yelling at the kidz on my porch (I'm looking at you, "Imma" and "yeet"). That said, I like

Decency. Kindly. Generous.

I'm an atheist, or I'd suggest we use "godly" more often. Christianity in the U.S. is warped beyond recognition by modern conservatives. God didn't command hatred of others in any Bible I ever came across. We're supposed to be kind, and generous to those in need.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Helply might be easier to say and easier to fit in many situations. Especially if we are trying to counter Trump's aphorisms.

He's helply and you can't beat that. The helpiest around. In fact, he had someone come up to him with tears in their eyes, crying out how much he helped them and that he was the helpiest around. The helpiest, that man.

I'm not helping, am I?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Goodly. (Which contains godly.)

Compassion. Decency. Kindness. Kind. Kindly. Kindlier.

I came up with the word Constatious when I was two. It means what my spiritual teacher called "accurate righteousness" (AKA righteousness that isn't holier than thou).

And the one with which I always end these posts:

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, 'helpish' - not really providing any help, but talking vaguely about it.
'In face of the crisis, the senator was helpish - offering thoughts and prayers, rather than reconstruction money.'

What we need are more real words, used thoughtfully. See Introversion and Siri Kirpal's posts.

Decency, generosity, compassion, courageous, kindness.
And, brutal, thoughtless, unplanned and lies.

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I love "yeet". Being a horse person now, I love it even more, because horses yeet people all the time.Question though: is "yeet" an acceptable word to use in a novel in the narrator's voice rather than dialogue?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I prefer "compassion", "genuine", and "gratefulness".

- - - Updated - - -

I love "yeet". Being a horse person now, I love it even more, because horses yeet people all the time.Question though: is "yeet" an acceptable word to use in a novel in the narrator's voice rather than dialogue?

I'm not sure I'd use "yeet" as the narrator. To me, it's a word that's said more than written.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a bit down today, dealing with a rapidly changing 16-year old daughter (I blame Covid, even though it's really only the enabler) and all the other crap that happened today between 45 and Twitter and George Floyd (then I made the mistake of watching the Netflix doc on Jeffrey Epstein...stupidly thinking it would just help me divert my frustrations rather than add to them)...all to say, Diana...thank you. This thread made me smile.

I really do love you guys.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Yeet" means to eject / throw with force, or violently.

Oh. The only thing I could think of was being used as a question about someone's state of hunger: "Y'eet yet?" I think the narrator could say it if the narrator was the type of person to say it.

I don't have any clever words of kindness to offer (just the standard ones), but it has crossed my mind to go on a Zoombomb campaign and burst into random meetings to say things like "You matter," "You are still you, no matter what," "Hold to your core," and share pictures of happy bunnies, amazing food and tranquil scenes. Hey, someone's gotta.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

In our household, it's also an all-purpose greeting, used to mean "good morning" or "are you upstairs?" or "time to get up."

We are a bit odd, I think. :) But the purpose of language is to communicate, and we all know what we mean.

As for using it in a narrative...depends on the author's voice, I think, and how much you want to risk the book being dated. Sometimes slang sticks around (I'm still surprised by the staying power of "wicked"), but sometimes it's a pretty narrow time stamp.

Good words? Yes, kindness and all its derivatives. Radius, maybe: my radius encompasses the world, and my neighbors are everyone. It's my civic responsibility to be helpy to everyone in my radius. Doesn't roll off the tongue, but it gets the point across. :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks, Snitchcat and lizmonster, for the lesson in the variants of slang!

And yes, Chris, random acts of encouragement and neighborly love are good.

There's a group out there called Revolutionary Love. Not a bad idea.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score

My kids use it to mean "yes" or any reply in the affirmative ("okay I'll do that" "yes I'm good thanks" etc). It's the next generation of child slang. I'm not even going to say teenage slang as my 10 yr old is also using it.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
In our household, it's also an all-purpose greeting, used to mean "good morning" or "are you upstairs?" or "time to get up."

It's interesting that it's on both sides of the Atlantic. I expect it's because kid slang is spreading via the internet these days.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
It's kindness week at work. I don't know if this is something that the company I work for has thought up, or if it's a UK thing, or maybe even a world thing. But I think every week should be kindness week. :Hug2::welcome::hi::Hug2: