blue tree with lights

AW Is an Amazon Associate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Medicine: How to Permanently End Diseases

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Smallpox doesn't have an animal reservoir. It was also possible to spot mild cases which is critical in eliminating an infectious disease.

We (as in the scientific community) did an excellent job eliminating SARS. There was incredible fear of SARS.

But I find the author's conclusion that the reason was
    a psychological one: Smallpox was a feared disease. People knew it was deadly, and even survivors could be scarred for life. This translated to political support from world governments and local support among populations receiving the vaccination.
    That is incredibly over-simplistic.

Don't get me started, I have pages of stories about stopping the SARS pandemic.

I will say a couple things though.

The fact SARS infected healthcare workers was a huge reason the effort was made in the Western world to stop it in it's tracks. It matters who is at risk. Ebola is equally able to infect healthcare workers and we saw the reaction when a couple cases made it through to the US and the UK. But notice the world is not acting to stop ebola in the countries/populations it is currently affecting.

Another example of ridiculous oversimplification by the author is not to have mentioned why we won't be able to eliminate influenza anytime soon. But I admit I didn't look to see if it was mentioned in the link.

Doesn't mean I don't love your links, Intro.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 12-04-2019 at 03:44 AM.
    “A people that no longer can believe anything cannot make up its mind. It is deprived not only of its capacity to act but also of its capacity to think and to judge. And with such a people you can then do what you please.”[2] – Hannah Arendt, 1978 [Brookings Institute]