Study finds that giving cash to poor people creates positive ripples

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Objections to giving money, no strings attached, to the poor are many: that it encourages helplessness, that it causes inflation (and hurts those who don't get aid), or that the benefits are limited to the recipients.

A recent study effectively rebuts these objections.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...le-effect-when-you-give-cash-to-poor-families

Over the past decade there has been a surge of interest in a novel approach to helping the world's poor: Instead of giving them goods like food or services like job training, just hand out cash — with no strings attached. Now a major new study suggests that people who get the aid aren't the only ones who benefit.

Edward Miguel, an economist at the University of California, Berkeley, and a co-author of the study, says that until now, research on cash aid has almost exclusively focused on the impact on those receiving the aid. And a wealth of research suggests that when families are given the power to decide how to spend it, they manage the money in ways that improve their overall well-being: Kids get more schooling; the family's nutrition and health improves.

But Miguel says that "as nonprofits and governments are ramping up cash aid, it becomes more and more important to understand the broader economy-wide consequences."

In particular, there has been rising concern about the potential impact on the wider community — the people who are not getting the aid. A lot of them may be barely out of poverty themselves.

"There's a fear that you just have more dollars chasing around the same number of goods, and you could have price inflation," says Miguel. "And that could hurt people who didn't get the cash infusion."

So Miguel and his collaborators teamed up to conduct an experiment with one of the biggest advocates of cash aid. It's a charity called GiveDirectly that, since 2009, has given out more than $140 million to impoverished families in various African countries.

The researchers identified about 65,000 households across an impoverished, rural area of Kenya and then randomly assigned them to various groups: those who got no help from GiveDirectly and a "treatment group" of about 10,500 families who got a one-time cash grant of about $1,000.

"That's a really big income transfer," notes Miguel. "About three-quarters of the income of the [recipient] households for a year on average." It also represented a flood of cash into the wider communities where they lived. "The cash transfers were something like 17% of total local income — local GDP," says Miguel.

Eighteen months on, the researchers found that, as expected, the families who got the money used it to buy lots more food and other essentials.

But that was just the beginning.

"That money goes to local businesses," says Miguel. "They sell more. They generate more revenue. And then eventually that gets passed on into labor earnings for their workers."

The net effect: Every dollar in cash aid increased total economic activity in the area by $2.60.

But were those income gains simply washed out by a corresponding rise in inflation?

"We actually find there's a little bit of price inflation, but it's really small," says Miguel. "It's much less than 1%."

This is interesting, and it may tie in with some of the results we've seen when the minimum wage is raised in a particular city or state. Putting more money into the hands of low-income families and individuals has far-reaching effects that are largely beneficial.

So, to turn an old argument on its head: sometimes throwing money at a problem can make things better.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A recent study effectively rebuts these objections.

I'd be more optimistic from this if I felt like those objections were based on facts rather than emotions. Given that most of the objections come from conservatives, and studies (again with the facts!) seem to suggest that conservatives tend to double-down on beliefs when confronted with contradictory facts (too lazy to google up the studies), I'm not more optimistic now. Sigh.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Agreed. I'm afraid many of the objections to public aid stem from deeper values or belief systems that value punishment and shaming as motivational tools, regardless of how much evidence shows they don't work well at all. It's really hard to figure out a way to frame arguments which such folks, and they aren't exactly rare (in the US, at least).

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
We had such a project here in Ontario. It was a 3 year basic income pilot project which was to cost 50 million. Various people were chosen for the project and were given a basic monthly income (money that they knew they could actually count on) with no strings attached. The pilot was to see what people would use the money for and how their lives changed. Some used it to enrol in school to get training for a better paying job and because they actually had a safety net, they could do this vs working 2 or 3 jobs to pay for rent and groceries etc, they could actually make a plan for their lives vs living day to day. When the retrograde Ford government got in and despite saying they wouldn't touch pilot project, they cut it and people who had made plans with their lives were out in the cold yet again.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
When the retrograde Ford government got in and despite saying they wouldn't touch pilot project, they cut it and people who had made plans with their lives were out in the cold yet again.

Reading this made my stomach acid surge. What a horrible, horrible betrayal.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Reading this made my stomach acid surge. What a horrible, horrible betrayal.

It really was. This article from the Toronto Star said that it sparked global outrage because the project was being watched by other countries who were wanting to implement it themselves. The participants were people from all walks of life, some had signed up for 3 year educational programmes, some had rented better housing, some had enrolled their children in programmes that they otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to do, all had the rug yanked out from under their feet with the Ford government. It was cruel and shortsighted and really just pandered to all the "not with my tax dollars" crowd.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...sic-income-project-sparks-global-outrage.html

Biffington

Father of a thousand spawn
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is, if people can find a single person who it doesn't work for, they'll point that person out.

In any protest, you can find a single wacko. This doesn't mean everyone else in the protest is insane, but the press always interviews the person wearing "Trump Impregnated My Martian Wife" tee shirt rather than the person with a well-written sign who can speak coherently.

It's easy to find poor folks the program wouldn't work for, because a ton of mentally ill people end up homeless, and even among the healthy populace, a few people are just jerks. So any time you argue for a program like that, someone will be able to point at those exceptions and say it doesn't work.

I can't help but feel that those programs would have more success if the people running programs like this emphasized it wasn't charity but rather a community improvement effort. "If you pay more to this program, your city will become less of a dump."

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
The problem is, if people can find a single person who it doesn't work for, they'll point that person out.

This the conservative mindset: better a hundred innocent people be executed than a single guilty person go free.

There are always going to be jerks who try to game the system, but that doesn't mean we throw out the system.

And let's be clear: the world's wealthy have gamed the system for their own profit pretty much since always.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm afraid many of the objections to public aid stem from deeper values or belief systems that value punishment and shaming as motivational tools, regardless of how much evidence shows they don't work well at all. It's really hard to figure out a way to frame arguments which such folks, and they aren't exactly rare (in the US, at least).

As I understand it, the original attempt in some British localities in the late 18th century resulted in clergy rebelling because the people came to them seeking help less. This reduced their position in society.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if the donation was given to people actually on the street.

Two stories for the thread here:

Story One
In Denver, many a "homeless" person would set up on the corner of an intersection dressed in deceptively warm clothing, with their dog at their feet and a cardboard sign saying something like "Lost my job. Homeless vet, please help. God Bless"

Made a donation of a few bucks one day, and in my rear view mirror, saw him whip out the latest iPhone of the day, and send a text message to someone. This, combined with several reports from others that worked in the area to not give money to them because several work in concert to get the money up for another dime bag to take back to CU BOulder for smoking between classes, has made me jaded about giving handouts blindly to those on the street.

College kids at the privileged CU Boulder campus, duping the public to fund their dope and booze habits kind of jaded me beyond giving money out of pocket.

Even since my move to Nashville, I've been approached saying they need $5 for gas, and when I offered to swipe my card at the pump for them, they mumble something incoherently and move away.

Story Two
When I was in college (struggling myself), my girlfriend at the time and I were doing some laundry in the local laundromat over a holiday break, and a homeless guy came in. Left us alone, didn't even ask for anything. We finished up and left. She came up with the idea of getting some fruits, nuts and other edibles from a local grocery store, and putting them in a box. We did so, went back to the laundromat, and saw the guy. I tapped him on the shoulder, and said "We'd like to give this to you." He hugged me for a few seconds and said "Thank you so much." It truly touched my heart...

I like the idea of donating money to a family, but goods to individuals so perhaps there is some grist/merit there, but giving money to an individual is no longer in my wheelhouse, sorry.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I often hand people cash if they ask, they don't scare me, and I have cash to spare.

Story Three
I once saw a woman with a "please help" sign at a stop sign. When I stopped I dug into my wallet. Only had a couple of $20 bills. I gave her one. She burst into tears. I asked if she was okay. She said, "No, but thanks." I drove on.

There's always a risk of being scammed. If one believes in karma, or an afterlife, or even just being a good human, then I tend to think that my being scammed out of $20 doesn't negate the charitable impulse that made me give it? I'm not judging Jason or anyone, just saying that's how I don't let the possibility of giving money to a faker bother me much.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not to mention all those Russian-planted internet memes about women (interesting how it's always women in these irate posts in Facebook--I guess they are still riffing off Reagan's "welfare queen" dogwhistle) using "food stamps" when they have the "newest" iphones and "designer purses."

And of course these memes that keep popping up on Facebook don't even make sense. Can anyone really tell (from a position behind the person in line) whether the card being scanned by the checker is from "SNAP" and or determine whether their "designer" handbag is the real deal or a cheap fake?

Made a donation of a few bucks one day, and in my rear view mirror, saw him whip out the latest iPhone of the day, and send a text message to someone.

How could you identity the "latest iphone of the day" in your rear-view mirror? I have to go into my settings to check when I forget whether my own venerable iphone is a 6 or a 7, and it doesn't look all that different from the newer phones some of my friends have.

The thing is, once "everyone knows" something is true, it's really hard to convince people with evidence. That, in a nutshell, is why we are so screwed in this era. People are continually being flooded with "folk wisdom" that confirms their deepest fears and prejudice, never mind that it is completely false and fabricated by a foreign government desperately wanting to keep us internally divided and dependent on an oil-based economy.

Note that in any system there will be fakers and a small percentage people who find ways to scam a free ride out of the support network created by their society. There always have been and there always will be, and once society evolved beyond tiny villages where everyone knows everyone, there hasn't been a way to catch all of them.

I try not to let myself anguish over that. IMO creating a harsh, punitive system designed to catch the undeserving does more harm than good and actually robs our economy of money and upward mobility. When giving to charities, I do my homework to make sure they're genuine and reasonably efficient in their use of donor money, but I refuse to allow myself to be haunted by the possibility that an occasional "poor person" has found a way to game the system.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I often hand people cash if they ask, they don't scare me, and I have cash to spare.

Story Three
I once saw a woman with a "please help" sign at a stop sign. When I stopped I dug into my wallet. Only had a couple of $20 bills. I gave her one. She burst into tears. I asked if she was okay. She said, "No, but thanks." I drove on.

There's always a risk of being scammed. If one believes in karma, or an afterlife, or even just being a good human, then I tend to think that my being scammed out of $20 doesn't negate the charitable impulse that made me give it? I'm not judging Jason or anyone, just saying that's how I don't let the possibility of giving money to a faker bother me much.

There's a story that goes around that tells of someone giving a homeless person cash, and someone with them says, "Why did you do that? They're just going to spend it on drugs and booze." to which the donor says, "What they do with the money I give them says something about them. What I do when confronted with someone who says they need help says everything about me."

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a story that goes around that tells of someone giving a homeless person cash, and someone with them says, "Why did you do that? They're just going to spend it on drugs and booze." to which the donor says, "What they do with the money I give them says something about them. What I do when confronted with someone who says they need help says everything about me."

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

And that's why I give to the homeless or the down-and-out.

And anyway, anyone who stands in Oregon's rain to make a buck needs the buck.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rather apprehensive about what the next 20-30 years are going to be like. We in America are now so xenophobic, so fearful. If we're already turning to authoritarian leaders when there's really no external pressures on us -- no actual floods of immigrants, no shortage of food or fresh water (just a shortage of equitable access to it) -- what will we be like another few decades into climate change? Weather will be more chaotic, seas are rising, forests are already dying & burning, fresh water supplies are being over-subscribed and/or privatized and/or not maintained because we don't like to tax & spend when it helps poor people.

Add to that the workforce head-wind of automating things that traditionally needed people -- self-driving trucks and cars are not here yet, but they probably will be in 20 years, etc. If we as a society were willing to make changes like a basic income, we could lessen the impact, but we're not that society, are we?

I hate to think that dystopian fiction predicts our future, but it's hard not to think that it does?

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
How could you identity the "latest iphone of the day" in your rear-view mirror? I have to go into my settings to check when I forget whether my own venerable iphone is a 6 or a 7, and it doesn't look all that different from the newer phones some of my friends have.

To your question about how I can identify the iPhone, it comes from familiarity. Working in telephony, I can spot a Polycom from a Grandstream across a room, and iPhones are similarly discernible from Androids because of their shape and size. I might be a generation off occasionally, but does it matter if the person is using an iPhone Xs or an XR because I couldn't tell from 50 feet away. The point here (which seems to have been lost) is that the gaming of the system is something that can in and of itself bring the system down. And when entitled rich kids from CU Boulder go out beating the pavement to get free money to buy their dope and coke and booze, I find that inherently disgusting and refuse to contribute to that sort of behavior. It's not occasional, it's rampant...

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The point here (which seems to have been lost) is that the gaming of the system is something that can in and of itself bring the system down. And when entitled rich kids from CU Boulder go out beating the pavement to get free money to buy their dope and coke and booze, I find that inherently disgusting and refuse to contribute to that sort of behavior. It's not occasional, it's rampant...

The individual in question may be "gaming the system," but that's a lot rarer than people seem to think.

I volunteer tech support for the local VA technology group. Many vets qualify for a phone as part of their benefits? Because the iPhone support hearing aids that do not work with other phones, and because they work with the Apple Watch as an assistive heart monitor and fall monitor, a lot of people that you wouldn't think could afford one, own one.

I support a number of economically disenfranchised vets and disabled people who have much better tech than I do, because it helps them navigate through life in ways that make them independent.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Yep.

I used to carry bus passes and food cards with me when I lived in SoCal. But yeah, I know some of them sold it to buy booze. But If I were homeless on cold wet rainy night, I'd want a drink too. Who am I to judge?

And when there was a rash of porch robberies on my street, the homeless peeps were the ones that let me and my neighbors know who the perps were, and what to tell the cops to watch for.

And when I moved, and managed to leave some houseplants, it was one of those homeless folks who told my friend who stopped by to pick up my trash for me, that I'd left the plants, and where they were and helped him load them in the car.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
To your question about how I can identify the iPhone, it comes from familiarity. Working in telephony, I can spot a Polycom from a Grandstream across a room, and iPhones are similarly discernible from Androids because of their shape and size. I might be a generation off occasionally, but does it matter if the person is using an iPhone Xs or an XR because I couldn't tell from 50 feet away. The point here (which seems to have been lost) is that the gaming of the system is something that can in and of itself bring the system down. And when entitled rich kids from CU Boulder go out beating the pavement to get free money to buy their dope and coke and booze, I find that inherently disgusting and refuse to contribute to that sort of behavior. It's not occasional, it's rampant...

This underlines Lizmonster's comment.

Giving is about benefiting the recipient. Think of it that way and you won't fret about being 'scammed'.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
It could also be that the fact that Jason and others who largely complain of scammers are larger men. Perhaps the ones in need don't approach these folks leaving the large-ish men only to encounter the scammers.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
wow...pardon my intrusion

*leaves feeling pretty lousy :(

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
And when entitled rich kids from CU Boulder go out beating the pavement to get free money to buy their dope and coke and booze, I find that inherently disgusting and refuse to contribute to that sort of behavior. It's not occasional, it's rampant...

Anyone should be free to make their own decision to give or not give to someone they encounter on the street. There are a lot of reasons to make those choices, and those reasons are personal. I have to say I am suspicious of the description above being "rampant," although I'm sure some students do try it. (Not sure how one tells the student is "rich" but that's not relevant here.) Boulder, like many expensive cities, has a large homeless population. FWIW, panhandling would have been too harsh of work for my kid and his friends at CU. They earned their weed and booze money the indoor way: by being abused by customers while working at the Safeway deli counter.

We live in a ridiculously wealthy country that is built upon a foundation of keeping the have-nots from becoming haves. Whether it's through socio-economic forces, various biases (which we all have in some form or another), "bootstraps" thinking, or myriad other large and small institutionalized mechanisms, we don't share nearly enough in the wealth that most of us help create. I'd much prefer a fairer tax system--and nationalized guarantees to medical care and job-ready schooling--to having to decide which panhandler is worthy of a dollar or 2 cheese burgers, or whether they're cheating for cash to buy Molly. No one likes to feel they've been fleeced, but I also resent that it's a decision we each have to make when face-to-face with someone in seemingly desperate straits on our streets.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was in grad school in Boulder in the 90s. There were some well-off undergrads who were attending "ski u" as out of state students on their rich parents' dimes. More of the students in the classes I taught, though, were working for their spending money (and sometimes food and rent).

Even back then, rents were getting ridiculous in Boulder. My then boyfriend and I had to move out an outlying community to afford rent by the time we finished, and I can only imagine how much worse it is now. And the city had all manner of laws limiting the number of "unrelated adults" who could share a house. It was three, back then. So that made it very hard for some people to afford rent without breaking the law (and yes, I know people who were turned in by neighbors and had to move out, leaving their former roommates with more rent).

We have, in my opinion, a double standard in our society about the level of perfection we expect from people getting any kind of assistance or legal protection. Dreamers can't have even minor crimes on their record, or they can be deported. People receiving public assistance (or simple handouts) must be paragons of self-denying virtue far and above what most of us live up to etc. And if a homeless person has a drug or alcohol issue, it's all their fault and they shouldn't get any help until they are clean and sober.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm asked for help, I give it if I can. Even if they are standing outside a liquor store and ask for money for a cup of coffee (and I'm pretty sure my money is going to go for a bottle of something) but I always think that perhaps this time they will actually get that cup of coffee. I'd far rather be scammed than not give. I am particularly generous with teens because if my kid was in want, I'd appreciate someone trying to help.

As for the cancelled pilot study. This money (and in the grand scheme of things it wasn't a lot) was going directly to the recipients where they could use it as they wish. The people were using it to better themselves and their families. Think about where these pilot project people (and really everyone other normal people of modest means) spend their money. That's right, they spend it in the community. They buy goods from local retailers, they pay to take courses and programmes from local schools, they stay in their areas and these communities are directly benefited by this cash. Then think about the wealthy, and the huge tax breaks given to the rich and very rich, by the same government. Where do wealthy spend their extra money? While some may come to the community, they most likely sock it away in stocks, bonds, off shore accounts, real estate or expensive toys like yachts and cars - and the local communities are NOT the beneficiaries. I would far rather my tax money be given to people who have a chance to better themselves and their families, than it go to tax breaks for the ultra rich.