Brand New Writer

Pippie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I found an online course on writing mystery stories in early October. So, I’m now starting my third month of writing. I’m a retired mechanical engineer in the oil, gas and chemical industry. I’d written lots of technical stuff in my career, but I’d never ventured into fiction. I’m thoroughly enjoying this new hobby.

So far I’ve written lots of short mystery pieces, and a little fantasy fiction.

I’m not a particularly eclectic reader. I read mystery’s mostly, an occasional sci-fi/fantasy, and some science-based non-fiction.

Hobbies include astronomy (I own a 200 mm Schmidt-Cassegrain ‘scope), building robots and other electronic stuff, fly fishing, and now writing.

Apart from Absolute Write, I’m also a member of Silver Pen Writers, and have posted a total of four pieces to date.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Pippie, :welcome:

Such diversity in your hobbies, that's great. Writing is a great addition.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Pippie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Holly,
To answer your question, Silver Pen Writers is a smaller group than AW. To post a piece for review, you'll need 40 points. You're awarded 35 points at sign on, then 10 points for each review you make, so you need to make at least one review before you can post. Each post drops your total by 40 points, so you need to keep the reviews going in order to continue to post. The suggested minimum review length is 100 words. I don't have any problem there, since once I've started a review, I often go on for three or four hundred words.

The one thing I don't like is that my work is not getting many reviews. Maybe it's just the time of year, and everyone is busy. Otherwise, it's a useful website with lots of information on writing, getting published, and many other topics. Give it a try! If you like it, good. If not, you've lost nothing.

Hope that helps,

Pippie

Last edited:

Pippie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Cameron. I'm based in Colorado, formerly a Brit from London (sorry!). Whenever I get back to the U.K. I always try to get up to your neck of the woods. Some beautiful country up there. I see you are published and have a website. I'll take a look as soon as I get a chance.