It's starting to look a lot like

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
COOKIE TIME! (appetizers, too)

I'm always on the lookout for new seasonal recipes. Anyone have any holiday—ALL Dec-Jan holidays—cookie, candy, or appetizer recipes to share?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Peppermint Chocolate pretzel minis

10 Candy canes, crushed
1 lb milk or dark chocolate
1 bucket Snyder’s pretzels
cookie sheet w/wax paper

Melt chocolate in a fondue pot or other. Stir in crushed candy canes until evenly dispersed. Dip pretzels in individually until coated. Remove and place on wax paper until chocolate/peppermint mixture hardens. Box in tins for great holiday gifts!

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people love a sweet-salty taste combo and that sounds like a quick & easy treat. Thanks.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not a new recipe (it dates to the 1600s!) but one of my all-time favorites, which I often bake for the holidays:

EXCELLENT SMALL CAKES

2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1/2 lb raisins
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c butter
1 small egg, separated (the white goes into the icing)
1-2 Tbsp cream or milk
1 Tbsp sherry

Icing:

1/2 c sugar
rosewater to taste

1. Combine flour, sugar, nutmeg.
2. Blend in butter. Add raisins.
3. Combine egg yolk & cream.
4. Add with sherry to flour mixture. Use more cream if necessary to make a firm dough.
5. Form into small cakes 1/4" thick and 3-5" diameter. [NOTE: I usually make them smaller, about 2" -- a more ordinary cookie size. They do not spread while baking.]
6. Bake at 400° for 15 min or till lightly browned.
7. Make an icing of egg white, sugar & rosewater. Spread on hot cakes.

Makes 12 small cakes or 24 cookies

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be new or current; I like old recipes like that one so, thank you.

A little OT: When I was about fifteen or sixteen—memory is not the first thing to go, btw—my mom gave me Housekeeping in Old Virginia (1965 ed.) for my birthday. That was the coolest little book, funny and informative (in places). It was chock full of old recipes. I don't know what happened to it but it went missing some time ago. :(

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that's good to know. Thanks, Jason. There are one or three things farther up my wish list, but I've made note of its availability. :)

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shortbread recipe, the kind that uses a clay mold.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shortbread recipe, the kind that uses a clay mold.

These two came with my Emerson Creek (Brown Bag) mold, which is 9" X 1" (interior dimensions):

Classic Scottish Shortbread

1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar (unsifted)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour (unsifted)

Cream butter until light. Cream in the powdered sugar, then the vanilla. Work in the flour. Knead dough on an unfloured board until nice and smooth. Spray the shortbread pan very lightly with a non-stick vegetable oil spray. Firmly press the dough into the shortbread pan. Prick the entire surface with a fork, and bake the shortbread right in the pan at 325º for about 30-35 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Let the shortbread cool in its pan for about 10 minutes before you loosen the edges with a knife and flip the pan over onto a wooden cutting board. If the shortbread does not come right out, tap one edge of the pan. Cut the shortbread into serving pieces while it is still warm. Let the pan cool before washing it in sink or dishwasher.

Chocolate Shortbread

1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar (unsifted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour (unsifted)

Cream butter until light. Cream in the powdered sugar, then the cocoa, and the vanilla. Work in the flour. Knead dough on an unfloured board until nice and smooth. Spray the shortbread pan very lightly with a non-stick vegetable oil spray. Firmly press the dough into the shortbread pan. Prick the entire surface with a fork, and bake the shortbread right in the pan at 325º for about 30-35 minutes. Don't let the edges get too dark. Let the shortbread cool in its pan for about 10 minutes before you loosen the edges with a knife and flip the pan over onto a wooden cutting board. If the shortbread does not come right out, tap one edge of the pan. Cut the shortbread into serving pieces while it is still warm. Let the pan cool before washing it in sink or dishwasher.

ETA: Note: I'm pretty sure I've not made the chocolate version, so I can't speak to how it tastes. The first recipe is the basic recipe for shortbread and you can make it by rolling it into a 1-inch thick rectangle, scoring it into bars, and pricking it with a fork on a lightly sprayed baking sheet rather than using a mold. Otherwise, bake as above.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My tweaks to Maida Heatter's chocolate gingerbread recipe...

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 lb butter
1 cup boiling water or coffee
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup light molasses
4 lg eggs

NOTE: I added about a tsp each of nutmeg and ground cardamon as well. Likewise, I used semisweet chocolate this time out.

Adjust rack 1/3 up from bottom of the oven. Preheat oven 325 degrees. Butter 9x13 baking pan and dust it with fine breadcrumbs (I omitted the crumbs). Sift flour through allspice together and set aside. Place chocolate in the top of a small double boiler over hot water on low heat. Cover until chocolate is melted. Set aside, uncovered, to cool slightly.

Place butter in large bowl if electric mixer. Add boiling water and mix until melted. Add brown sugar and mix well. Mix in molasses. Add eggs all together and beat until well mixed. Mix in chocolate on low speed. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and beat only until they're incorporated. Pour into prepared pan and tilt pan to level the batter. Bake for about 50 minutes. Cool in pan for about 15-20 minutes. Cover with cookie sheet or rack and invert. Remove pan. Reinvert right side up for cake to finish cooling.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Phase I of holiday baking complete. Chocolate chip pumpkin bread/muffins, and my signature crispy-chewy oatmeal cookies.

The pumpkin bread was sliced, packaged merrily and given to my vet's office staff who have taken care of all my pets for 30 years.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
What a thoughtful treat Cobalt Jade! They will love it!

Here is a recipe for my favourite shortbread. Like all shortbread, so few ingredients but so much taste.

Irish Shortbread

1 lb of butter at room temperature
1 cup of packed brown sugar
4 cups of all purpose flour
1 pinch of baking soda
1 pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of real vanilla

With a hand mixer, cream butter, sugar, vanilla until light. Add flour, salt and soda, mix well (you may have to mix the last bit of flour by hand). Pat into a mound, cover and let stand a few minutes while your oven heats up to 350. Or you can cover and stick in the fridge til you are ready to use, or you can roll into logs and freeze to slice and bake at a later date.

Divide dough in half, and on a lightly floured surface roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut with your favourite cookie cutter. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and cook for 12 - 15 minutes or til the edges are just turning colour and the bottoms are gold. Depending on the size of your cookie cutter this will make aproximately 4 or 5 dozen.

These will taste better the next day when the flavours have a chance to meld. This is a lovely cookie that has a nice texture, and not too sweet.

This recipe is easily halved as well.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I just spotted this recipe for a variant on Toffee. Homemade Almond Roca Bars.

Almond Roca Bars
1 hour + cooling to prepare 16-20 servings

INGREDIENTS
● 4 sticks butter
● 2 cups granulated sugar
● 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped almonds
● 2 cups chocolate chips, milk, dark, o rsemi-sweet
● 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

PREPARATION

1. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and grease with cooking spray, set aside.
  2. Combine butter and sugar in a large saucepan over high heat. Attach a candy thermometer to side of saucepan.
  3. Stir until mixture comes to a boil.
  4. When mixture reaches 290°F, remove from heat and immediately stir in 3⁄4 cup of chopped almonds.
  5. Pour mixture onto cookie sheet and spread evenly.
  6. As caramel mixture cools, microwave chocolate chips with oil in short increments of 20 seconds, stirring after each increment of time, until chocolate is completely melted.
  7. Pour melted chocolate over top of slightly cooled toffee-nut mixture.
  8. Sprinkle reserved chopped almonds over top of chocolate.
  9. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours or overnight before breaking into pieces to serve.

Recipe adapted from Suburban Simplicity.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've made three batches of cookies so far - Snickerdoodles, Cherry Gems and my husband's favorite, Toll House - and one baking of bread (James Beard's Cinnamon Bread).

Today I'll be making MY favorite: Salted Oatmeal Raisin cookies (which is just Quaker Oats' Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe substituting golden raisins for regular raisins and finished with a light sprinkle of coarse salt before baking). I'm working up to the most labor-intensive cookie of the season, which is a an iced and decorated cookie-cutter sugar cookie. I used to get very elaborate with these - hand-painted them with gel food color, or did additional piped icing highlighted with dragees - but lately I've just been icing them and throwing sprinkles on top because I couldn't get a nice smooth surface on the base coat of royal icing. I've been studying up on how to "flood" a cookie with royal icing instead. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Did someone say Snickerdoodles?!?!

:) :) :)

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
My son shared a recipe for vegan teriyaki, but I'm not sure you'll like it. It begins, "Slice a vegan into thin strips."

I was appalled, naturally.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
For years, there's been a little old lady who brings a popcorn wreath into the store every Christmas -- (like this, but Mrs. Duffner always colored hers pink) -- she passed away this year, and we were all feeling a bit blue about it, so we got together and made popcorn balls in her honor.

We used this recipe from 1932.

I remember as a little kid, buttering our hands so the hot candy mess didn't stick to them, but HOLY HELL that stuff is practically weaponized!

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
For years, there's been a little old lady who brings a popcorn wreath into the store every Christmas -- (like this, but Mrs. Duffner always colored her pink) -- she passed away this year, and we were all feeling a bit blue about it, so we got together and made popcorn balls in her honor.

We used this recipe from 1932.

I remember as a little kid, buttering our hands so the hot candy mess didn't stick to them, but HOLY HELL that stuff is practically weaponized!

Snowballs! I remember Mom making those when we were little. Thanks, Mac, for the memories and the recipe.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Update to my earlier recipe - on the suggestion from a friend, I tried the chocolate peppermint pretzels with melted Hershey’s white chocolate peppermint kisses and it works much easier and looks even yummier!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Currently contemplating making a third batch of fudge. I've made one caramel and one chocolate and wow are they sweet (she says after going for her 4th piece...!)

I once made some chocolate fudge with sour cream and I'm thinking I may have to experiment with that today.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to cook a brisket for Hanukkah.

This is an intriguing recipe.

Balsamic and Brown Sugar Brisket

SERVES
PREP TIME:
45 minutes
COOKING TIME:
4 hours 15 minutes to 5 hours
INGREDIENTS
1 (4 to 5-pound) beef brisket
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
3 large red onions, thinly sliced
8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups beef or chicken broth or stock
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Season both sides of the brisket with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven or large sauté pan set over medium-high heat. Add the brisket and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes total. If the brisket does not fit all at once, cut it in half and sear it in batches.
Remove the seared brisket from the pot and set aside. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, followed by the onions, garlic, and bay leaves to the pot and cook, stirring often, until the onions soften and the mixture is fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the stock, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium bowl until fully combined. Transfer the onion mixture to the bottom of a large roasting pan and place the seared brisket on top. Pour the balsamic mixture over the top, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and transfer to the oven.
Cook the meat for 2 hours. Remove from the oven, uncover, and carefully flip the meat to the other side. Re-cover and continue cooking until the meat is fork‑tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours more.
Remove from the oven and transfer the meat to a cutting board; drape loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing across the grain. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions and arrange around the brisket. Spoon your desired amount of pan juices over the brisket before serving. Serve hot.
RECIPE NOTES
Reprinted from Little Book of Jewish Feasts by Leah Koenig with permission by Chronicle Books, 2018.
Storage: Store leftovers, covered, in the fridge, for up to 4 days. To reheat, transfer the brisket and any juices to a baking dish and heat in a 325°F oven until warmed through, 15 to 20 minutes.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I'm planning on a big pan of Kahlua fudge, but am putting it off till Monday so there's some chance we'll have some for the 25th.

And this will be a nibbles year for Christmas dinner--we either do a sit-down roast beef dinner, or a table full of hors d'oeuvres with a ham or cold tenderloin. So here come the deviled eggs and garlic artichoke dip and shrimp wreath and Reuben dip and baked brie andandand...