Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
10 Candy canes, crushed
1 lb milk or dark chocolate
1 bucket Snyder’s pretzels
cookie sheet w/wax paper

Melt chocolate in a fondue pot or other. Stir in crushed candy canes until evenly dispersed. Dip pretzels in individually until coated. Remove and place on wax paper until chocolate/peppermint mixture hardens. Box in tins for great holiday gifts!

I'm going to try and make this if I have time. Thanks Jason!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Can I bring back this thread from the dead? Well, it wasn't really dead...just "out-of-season". (That sounds like something a returning villain would say to the hero. "I wasn't dead. I was simply...out -of-season.")

Anyways, if it's okay to continue this thread I'd like to share a recipe I made this year, despite not liking cooking.

They are called Jumbles. I haven't had them since was a little little kid, so when my mom found the old recipe, I wanted to try making them. (and did memories come flooding back!) Basically they are cookies with mini M&Ms, raisins, and walnuts. Here is a link

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
hmm. Now there's a cookie that won't get scarfed down before I can get any*.

Thanks, Second Moon.

* The spouse is still having trouble with his new bridge and has only "graduated" to semi-soft treats. :evil

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're going out on a limb, and making a veggie lasagna. With hazelnuts. That would not have occurred to me, but it seems to work for Phil (whoever he is) on Pinterest:

Phil's Spinach Lasagna with Bleu Cheese and Hazelnuts

Get this stuff ready:

• Lasagna noodles for 3 layers in a 9x13 inch pan
  • 1 cup veggies chopped and steamed 5 mins (I usually use chopped baby carrots. Portabella mushrooms are good too. Don't steam the mushrooms!)
  • 1 10 oz package frozen spinach or 10 oz of fresh spinach lately I have preferred the fresh
  • 1 cup chopped onion a bit more works too
  • Lottsa garlic (I use 3-4 or more fresh cloves chopped)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/4 t salt; more or less as you prefer
  • 3-4 T chopped fresh basil or about h cup pesto
  • 1/2 t nutmeg
  • about 1 T sugar (optional, but hey it's not much for that big of a pan)
  • 2-3 oz bleu cheese cheese crumbles more works too. Gorgonzola also works as a less sharp option
  • 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1.5 cups grated mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 3-4 eggs beaten
  • 1 reg. can (8-10 oz) tomato sauce (or 8 oz pasta sauce)
  • 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
  • 10-12 oz thick white alfredo sauce. Alternatively, you may make your own white sauce (see below*). I used to make mine, but I now use a quality commercial Alfredo for the ease of it.

Do this:

• Cook noodles, drain, rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Set aside. Maybe add a little margarine or oil to the stack to prevent sticking. (If you are making your own white sauce, do this as well.*)
  • Sauté onions and garlic in the olive oil until onions are semi-soft. Add the spinach and sauté briefly to wilt. (Turn heat to low and cover if using frozen spinach. Flip and break up occasionally.)
  • Add a bit of salt and the sugar.
  • Remove from heat and cool 5 mins.
  • Add the white sauce to the spinach mixture.
  • Add the ricotta cheese and nutmeg.
  • Add the beaten eggs (make sure the spinach mixture is not still hot).

*To make your own white sauce, Melt 3/4 cup butter or margarine in a pan over low heat. Add 3/4 cup flour, stirring to remove lumps. Add 3 cups of milk and keep stirring until thick. Use as above for the white sauce.

Construct:

• Pour about 1/3 of the tomato sauce in the 9x13 lasagna pan to thinly cover the bottom. Cover with 1 layer of noodles. Spread 1/3 of the spinach mix over the noodles, sprinkle with some of the basil (or pesto) then with 1/3 of the veggies, bleu cheese/gorgonzola, and nuts. Cover with 1/3 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the parmesan.
  • Lay out another layer of noodles (you can gently press this layer down a bit with your hands) and spread on 1/3 of the tomato sauce. Spread on 1/3 of the spinach mix etc., as above.
  • Lay out a final layer of noodles and repeat as above.
  • If you really like cheese you can add extra atop the final layer. Be sure to get in some exercise this day!

Cook:

• Cover with foil and bake 45 mins at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake about 5 additional minutes until cheese is slightly browned. Cool a little before cutting into servings.
  • You can assemble everything and keep it in the fridge a few hours before cooking. You can also cook this dish for 35-40 minutes ahead of time (350 deg), then put it in the fridge and reheat it later at 350 deg for 20-30 mins covered.

Remove foil for last 5 mins.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
That looks like a good, protein-rich recipe, Chris. And it looks tasty; I think you'll be pleased with it. I wouldn't have thought of adding the hazelnuts but, hey, they add another . . . oh, about . . . 18 grams of protein, give or take an ounce.

Ari, adding to her file.