The 2020 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap!

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Considering the speedbump AW went through and the time we'll need to get back into the swing of things, I propose an extension till the end of March (31st) for stories. That would give us April 1st as our mail-out date and opening of the Guessing Thread.

If, however, folks need more time than that, we can always flex.

What say you all?

I'll never turn down more writing time, that's for sure. April Fools away!

I'm curious: Has anyone drawn a map for their Sisyphus story before? I'm feeling the urge to draw one for mine this year and trying to resist, because it will probably look awful. But I want to. XD

This makes me miss Damo, who always had the best maps. But any map is a good one! It just adds so much flavor to the story IMO, hard to go wrong.

Yes! I included one with last year's entry.

You included a lot more than that if I remember correctly. Didn't that one have full on illustrations? Still green with envy about that :greenie

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! We are back!

Yes, I'd greatly appreciate a deadline. Everything I've written so far is by hand, which isn't much. But at least I have a direction.

Hey all! Hope the words are being at least somewhat wrangled.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling I'm taking this thing too seriously and need to relax.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

The year has been very busy for me so far, but I do have a first draft even if it is very rough. Hopefully it's what my giftee will be looking for. I'm currently in the future (also known as Australia) and was anticipating working on my story while here. I can still do that, but an extension is appreciated. I'm back in my normal timezone on 14 March.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
It took some major effort since I've been going through one of those times when I'm not super focused, but I put butt in chair and wrote today. A little research distraction happened, but otherwise I was more focused than I've been since finally getting over that cold. Digging through Nanowrimo's forum with all the word crawls, saving a bunch I liked, and starting one helped. I'll keep working my way through it and see if maybe it gives me the boost I need to get this thing headed towards the end sooner rather than later.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

The year has been very busy for me so far, but I do have a first draft even if it is very rough. Hopefully it's what my giftee will be looking for. I'm currently in the future (also known as Australia) and was anticipating working on my story while here. I can still do that, but an extension is appreciated. I'm back in my normal timezone on 14 March.

Holy crap! I thought I saw you walking down the street and I said to myself, “Is that eyeblink? Surely not!” and then you were gone. So I put my hands in my pockets and kept going.

Man, my story. It’s currently sitting at 6K but that includes a few notes. I’m trying so hard to keep it under 8K but the people keep insisting they need more air to breathe. Don’t they know that I need to do other things?

600 words today. The last few weeks I’ve been a slack little mofo, but if I can do this for another ten days I’ll… NO. I am not doing a novella. I’m not.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
The last few weeks I’ve been a slack little mofo, but if I can do this for another ten days I’ll… NO. I am not doing a novella. I’m not.

Heh heh heh. That's what YOU think, Norm. It sounds like the story has other ideas. :tongue

But why is it, when you have a story to write, a million other things all of a sudden need to be done? I'm determined I will have a first draft completed by the beginning of March, though, so life and the muse had better cooperate, or there'll be tears! (mine) :cry:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Mergh... life's been too busy this past week or so, so I haven't been working on this or even thinking much about it.

In any event, I just restarted my Sisyphus again with a little different approach that I think will work better. So that counts as progress.

Dang it...

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
600 words today. The last few weeks I’ve been a slack little mofo, but if I can do this for another ten days I’ll… NO. I am not doing a novella. I’m not.
I'm fighting mine becoming a novella too. Like, really, really, REALLY fighting it. Mine is like yours in that some of the word count is notes I'll be able to delete later. I'm also trusting that my overwriting tendencies continue and I'll be able to cut a lot when I reach the point of editing. But then it keeps growing...

But why is it, when you have a story to write, a million other things all of a sudden need to be done?
Right? I've been attacked with ideas for literally all my other WIPs while working on this and have had to put them in my Evernote app and tell them to wait patiently.

@Brightdreamer: Even if it's the shortest story you've ever written, your giftee will appreciate your efforts, especially considering the fact that you've continued to try despite all the punches life is throwing at you right now.:Hug2:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Working on the last-ish scene now and we're looking at something in the 7k-ish range. Think I'm finally figuring out this 'writing' thing.

Hahaha jk no I'm not.

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
Working on the last-ish scene now and we're looking at something in the 7k-ish range. Think I'm finally figuring out this 'writing' thing.

Hahaha jk no I'm not.

Seriously commendable. For all the "shorts" I've written, 7k seems perpetually out of reach. How do you feel about the story arc of this one compared to longer pieces?

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, first idea has been abandoned. It wants to be a freaking novel to be done properly. Second idea is in process and should be considerably shorter. At least I have a hope of making the deadline with this second idea!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I got a couple hundred words on...not my Sisyphus story. Oops. (I stumbled on nature.com’s Futures flash fiction series, which seems to be infested with plot smibbles.) Anything counts for now to get the words flowing. :)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously commendable. For all the "shorts" I've written, 7k seems perpetually out of reach. How do you feel about the story arc of this one compared to longer pieces?

Heh, well, first and longest story was sixty flashfics strung together using non-Euclidian geometry. Second was kinda broken and I'm not sure how to fix it. And then there's the Mars story from, which I hope to finish one day but I stopped when I started creating elaborate color-coded symbolism based on Conference of Birds and my brain broke.

This one's just people arguing in a room, so I think it's my strongest structure-wise.

Welp, first idea has been abandoned. It wants to be a freaking novel to be done properly. Second idea is in process and should be considerably shorter. At least I have a hope of making the deadline with this second idea!

It's so frustrating. My first story idea was incredible awesome & definitely novel length, so it had to go into a folder within a folder and I made a sad. You got this, Jaymz!

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, well, first and longest story was sixty flashfics strung together using non-Euclidian geometry. Second was kinda broken and I'm not sure how to fix it. And then there's the Mars story from, which I hope to finish one day but I stopped when I started creating elaborate color-coded symbolism based on Conference of Birds and my brain broke.

This one's just people arguing in a room, so I think it's my strongest structure-wise.

From what I remember of the Mars story, that sounds fitting, and just reading that made my brain feel broken (I mean that very positively) so I can't imagine putting it together.

Now I'm really curious to see what 12 Angry Men According to Kevin is gonna be like.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
From what I remember of the Mars story, that sounds fitting, and just reading that made my brain feel broken (I mean that very positively) so I can't imagine putting it together.

Now I'm really curious to see what 12 Angry Men According to Kevin is gonna be like.

LOL, thanks SSM. You and Alby were so nice to me about that hot mess (which expanded another 10K before I ragequit) I feel I owe it to you guys to finish. If we're doing a summer thing this year, I'll probably just take whatever prompt and use it to weakly justify the second half.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a flash version of this story if I don't end on time. I'm also cheating a little to make what might have become a novel more manageable.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap! I thought I saw you walking down the street and I said to myself, “Is that eyeblink? Surely not!” and then you were gone. So I put my hands in my pockets and kept going.

You might have seen me in Melbourne the last few days, or in Ballarat yesterday. I'm in Alice Springs right now.

Those here who have met me will verify that I don't look much like Barbara Stanwyck did in the 1930s. Nor am I in black and white.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hit 12k yesterday without necessarily meaning to. I'm hoping to keep this under 15k, but I'm a little unsure about how the ending wraps up, soooo... Guess we'll wait and see.