The 2020 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, gang. We're officially moving the due date to 14 April.

Hope that helps to alleviate any distress caused by the world-at-large right now and don't forget that your stories don't have to be pretty or even finished. This event is built on a foundation of communal love for one another through writing, no matter how "complete" a story may be.

Most important of all, while we may have to "socially distance" ourselves physically, the Sisyphus allows us to come together digitally. Please make sure to lean on each other as needed. We are, after all, a family. One we've chosen through a common love of words, but a family nonetheless.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Just finished the first draft of the Sisyphus. Came in at 7200+*, but it may shift 20% either way during the revision stage. Been a bit hectic at work - we're now on week on/week off shifts for social distancing, so I'm taking advantage of my week off to get as much writing done as I can. I'll let the story rest overnight and start the edits tomorrow morning. Guess I'll work on a different story this afternoon - maybe get back to my fantasy noir novel.

*What can I say? That's a short story for me. *grin*

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Extension appreciated! Thank you!

Just hit 1900 words on my first draft, may be about halfway done (not quite sure how long the rest will be... could be closer to 1/3 done...), so that's progress. Hope to get more done today.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Cobra. :)

Sounds like everyone is busy writing! Can't wait to see what tempting snippits you all choose for the Guessing Thread.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Bless you, Cobra. I’ve been pulling 12-14 hour days with the pandemic, so a little breathing room is needed.

Gosh, sounds like you're a key worker. I applaud you, and others like you, for what you're doing.

Take care and keep well tiddlywinks. :thankyou:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks, Cobra!

:Hug2: for everyone who needs it.

Editing is going well. I've already cut a minimum of 1k words and should be able to cut more. The extension means I'll have more time for beta readers, yay! *hugs our volunteer betas because they're always awesome*

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, somehow this turned into a semi-coherent story that seems to fit together, despite being from two very different sources of inspiration. And even though I sat on a couple of scenes for quite a while and a 1K section took 90% of this time period to get through, it was really just hard to write, and much easier to read. I felt like it was a huge mess, but together as one story that can be gotten through in a few minutes (instead of over the course of 3 months), it's fine.

Hope my giftee thinks so too.

Ruby Road

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gheltebridle.wixsite.com
Thanks Cobra. My college life has been disrupted due to the pandemic and now taking classes online at my families house. The situation is not too bad but it is disruptive to my future plans. Haven't had much time to work on my story. The extension is much appreciated.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Two pages written! (Half-sized pages, but still.) I think this third attempt at telling the same story might be coming together.

Apparently the trick is to sit beside the couch, in the mostly dark, just enough lamplight to see the page.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Finished the first major edit and cut 4k+ words. I'll give it one more skim and then it's beta time.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I'm up to 2K.
More exciting is that I got some very excellent critique on the story. *Kermit flail* Giftee you are going to love this! (Even though it will still come in installment form!)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Story sent to Cobra, so I can focus back on my novel instead of playing around with it some more. Officially done.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Also submitted!

I hope my giftee likes it, but more than that I hope it’s at least a small distraction from what’s going on all around us right now.

Stay safe, peeps!

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Well done on those who have finished!

Me, tomorrow, I edit!

If I'm not back again by the weekend... well,... send an editor?

Or possibly a flame-thrower.

Or maybe an editor with a flame-thrower.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud: Third attempt at a first draft is completed and send off to my CP. :scared: With any luck, story will be done by the end of the weekend.

:e2cheer: To those still writing feverishly. You can do it!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
4K, still aiming for a draft by the weekend... probably past the halfway point, though I'm still working out how to get the finale to work...

I'm gonna be honest, though. Even with polishing, this ain't gonna be a diamond...

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Oooof. Finally managed to push this thing over a hump and up to 573 words tonight. And I have a vague idea of where it's going, which is helpful.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Story is en route to Cobra. I finished it a bit ago, but I bounced it off a CP who did a cold read and spotted a couple of things I really should have addressed. Corrections made and off to Cobra before I go nuts and try to revise it again. Got enough other projects going on, I can't get hung up moving commas around on this one. Hope my promptee enjoys it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I'm done writing it, I like my story a lot more.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Story is en route to Cobra. I finished it a bit ago, but I bounced it off a CP who did a cold read and spotted a couple of things I really should have addressed. Corrections made and off to Cobra before I go nuts and try to revise it again. Got enough other projects going on, I can't get hung up moving commas around on this one. Hope my promptee enjoys it.

Hmm. So Cobra has two of those in his in-box. Mine was the same.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Hmm. So Cobra has two of those in his in-box. Mine was the same.

There comes a time when you just know it's ready to go and hit send.

All the dithering in the world won't make it better . . . until about 30 seconds after you hit send and THEN think of the twist you meant to put in the document.