The 2020 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap!

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Ohmigawd, we're BACK!!!!:hooray: I was only able to check the AW status blog and (it hasn't been updated since 18 January) since I categorically refuse to use any of the rampant social media available, so I really appreciated the email, Cobra.

Happy birthday, Annie! Big hugs to Froggy (while keeping away from the tiny eye volcanoes), and anyone else who needs hugs.

2020 has started off not so great for me - more computer woes (power supply blew up in Mr C's face as he was trying to fix it!) and they seem to be ongoing as my regular computer is playing silly buggers with the amount of RAM available (despite having 16GB installed). So, writing has been a bit... bleh. I had such awesome plans to write my assigned story and a bunch more, and that fell in a heap.

Extension to 31 March, you say? Cobra, you are an angel! :2angel: I hate needing an extension, but I honestly don't know how I could get my story completed in just 4 weeks--all I've got is a lot of set-up that will likely be scrapped. This story does not want to be a small story and I've done four fifths of bugger all on it since AW has been down. It's amazing how motivating it is to come and check out the thread before getting stuck into writing.

Also, can I just say... Maggie, you overachiever. :tongue

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We're still not completely back, so I'm not updating the status blog yet.

Not everyone is happy, you know?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I made the announcement on Facebook yesterday, I thought...now I better go double check!
Aw, maybe it was just my Facebook feed being weird. I saw it (upon searching) on Twitter & shared so more chance for others to see!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
April 1 is kind of perfect for Sisyphus Story Day.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I swear I won't do any practical jokes on extension deadline day no matter what others may say to the contrary.

Thanks Cobra, you're the best!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I doubled down on some editing yesterday and feel much less like I'm behind (I don't think I actually am) but seems like an extension is good for many people and now I can also get non-Sisyphus monthly goals complete :)

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm curious: Has anyone drawn a map for their Sisyphus story before? I'm feeling the urge to draw one for mine this year and trying to resist, because it will probably look awful. But I want to. XD

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'm curious: Has anyone drawn a map for their Sisyphus story before? I'm feeling the urge to draw one for mine this year and trying to resist, because it will probably look awful. But I want to. XD

If the story wants a map, draw a map - even just for yourself.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
1700 words today, which is the most I've written maybe ever. W00t!

Glad to see everybody. :D

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing how motivating it is to come and check out the thread before getting stuck into writing.
Isn't it?!!! I wrote SFA while AW was AWOL and as soon as it's back BANG, I've got me a first sentence and the seed of an idea.

Also, yay and thanks for the extension, Cobra. :)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score

I did a map for my story for the first sequel sisyfus. I needed it to keep it straight in my head where the characters were travelling to, and how long it should realistically take them to get there. *g* If you think a map would be helpful, you should totally make one, whether you include it in the story file that gets sent to your giftee is entirely up to you.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I made a very amateurish map for my first Sisyphus. The recipient did not get to see it

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
First scene rewritten. I like this one better. Lots more to go...

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I realised late last night as I was drifting off that I had some serious plot holes that I hadn't recognised. They're fixed now, but the price my poor characters are going to pay could be lung cancer.

Oh well. Sorry, giftee.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I included one with last year's entry.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Steps back into the shadows

I decided this winter would be a good time to:

Start a new job (still at the college but in a new position with more muney yay)
Get the house ready to sell (so much painting. So much)
Get a divorce

Not leaving a whole lot of time for other fun stuff (although the new job is good).

*please?

*hugs*

And congrats on the new job!!!!!

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Beta reader status advisory: I just started a new job and am working on a new place to live and my attention to things not that has been noticeably suffering while I'm adjusting. I'm still in but I may be slow getting back to you, especially if you try to contact me on a weekday.

I have also found and joined the AW Discord since the forums went down. If your query is time-sensitive, I see messages there sooner than I would see PMs.

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the new job and new place, the mindstream.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Story's going a weird direction and it's a weird story. Shocker. But I think it'll be under 10k this time. *phew*

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I've just hit 3K words. Course, half of it's garbage that will probably be scrapped, but it's there! I'm hoping I'll get to the stage where things really start happening this week, so I'll have some sort of idea how long the story will be. Right now it could be anything from 5K words to 25K words. *g*

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds fun!
I honestly don't know how to write a long short story. I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.
-S

LOL, tell me what you're doing wrong so I can do it too. I start with a simple idea and immediately fall deep into dense worldbuilding and endless twists, leading to a file folder full of abandoned ideas. My poor Summer Sisyphus story may never be finished! (though part of that is realizing quoting songs by famous musicians is a good way to make a story unpublishable)