Registered
Reaction score
How did it get so late so soon?
It's night before it's afternoon
December is here before it's June
My goodness how the time has flewn
How did it get so late so soon?

- Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

And here we are at last: the first day of the final month of December, and the final thirty-one days of the decade. The year has simply zoomed by.

So...time to state your goals for the month, and be ready to encourage, commiserate and cheer on your fellow writers! Let's end 2019 with a bang!

I'll start us off. I've finished republishing my series and gotten the prequel out (today was release day). I'm unemployed until my next show starts rehearsals in late February. I'm not going to post any holiday goals - I know I'm going to decorate and shop and wrap and bake (and probably do some more promo), but I'm not putting myself on a schedule for that. So this month's focus is simple: writing and reading. What a relief it is to say that.

[ ] Write 8k words on final book of series
[ ] Read 5 books - 0 of 5

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Right, I've checked out for the last month or so, but I think it's time to get back into it.

[ ] Update resume
[ ] Update LinkedIn
[ ] Create daily schedule
[ ] Prioritize projects
[ ] Update website

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I am so over-goaled this month and will fail, with all the xmas stuff and birthdays and... but!

I've been doing pretty well on my yearly short story goals, which was write one and edit one for every month, but I am behind. I've written 10 stories (and a bonus flash). So I want to write two more stories this month. I've edited 6 stories and 4 flash, so I'm equating that to 8 stories. So, uh, I don't think I'm going to catch up. But I am aiming for one. Or two. Then, maybe, a bonus of another? Or some more flash? (I probably won't even get one, but aim high, right?).

I want to get some more game planning down, so hopefully can have another session in January (since I think December is way out). I have working on my NaNo novel as a bonus - I want to focus on other things more, but if I get time...

That said, I have already finished up writing a piece of flash and did some words on the NaNo novel today, so I've done the bonus things, not the actual things :p

Five books read, and this month I want to read or write or edit each day, rather than have set writing goals, because I think I do need a break there. While still somehow fulfilling all my short story goals. Uh....

Honestly, I'm going into this expected to fail a lot, so I will be happy with achieving a little. (Well, right now, I will, at the end of the month I might be more sad about it.)

1. Read five books
2. Draft two new stories

3. Edit 'gods'
3.2 Edit one other story
3.6 (bonus) Edit one other other story or two flash.

4. Game planning.
5. Continue MoF (NaNo)
6. Read or write or edit each day.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, bdwilson! And Tamlyn, it's good to see you again.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
'Lo, all.

[ ] work through two rounds of beta comments on The Vastol Vendetta and upload final copy to website
[ ] blog post, website
[ ] try to line up five library events--science talks or author talks or having them shelve my book.
[ ] three hours aerobics per week
[ ] I feel like there's something I'm forgetting.

I've been noodling around with the idea of combining my short stories into a print volume (to put out next year at some point) when I have enough material (like four chunky stories). So maybe this month I'll brainstorm a list of what those stories might be. I have two, on the website, but if they don't work as a freebie magnet I might try them as a second publication.

...today I am finishing the promotional poster for author signings and delivering that to the first independent bookstore that'll host me. Also finishing up the bookmarks and ordering those... ya'know, the swag.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Patty, I've been thinking about doing a short story collection as well, up to the point that I roughed out a cover design some months back. I have five stories that could go in it; I feel like I need a couple more and then I'd actually have something resembling a book (I tend to write short - maybe 3k words per story).

The annual AW Sekrit Solstice swap signup thread is now live; I usually get good results from participating in that, but I'm afraid it'll be a distraction from the WIP. Decisions, decisions.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I love the Sekrit Solstice and think everyone should come play, all the time! But, you know, that probably doesn't do anything about the potential distraction thing xD

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've never done the swap parties. I do the beta project, and I enjoy limericking and whatnot, but the short story swaps always feel like they would take energy of which I never seem to have quite enough... I think I would stew over every word of whatever I wrote. Seems like that is not the spirit of the thing...

I dropped off my poster at the indie bookstore today and it was wonderful to dilly dally around in the bookcases. I brought home four paperbacks for less than 7 dollars--seems a crime but that's what they charged--including my first Gaiman novel (Never something) and my first Anne Bishop novel (which looks very naughty. Something about an incubus.)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Neverwhere is delicious. I hope you enjoy it.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
As God is my witness, I will work on my beta comments on Friday. And nothing else (except reading Mistborn).

So help me, I will stop procrastinating.

This is my commitment.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you dear. I am 1/4 1/2 3/4 of the way through today's work, which is 1/4 of the needed work. Onward.

ETA: It is Saturday evening and I would like to make it through another chapter's worth of comments. This is my commitment, right here right now. Onward, tally ho.

ETA: So that chapter was A-OK and I'm about 5/8 through now. Might make this goal by tomorrow evening, though I dread the climax and seeing what the betas thought. I know it sucks. LOL.

ETA: Because this 'accountability trick' seems to be getting the job done, I'll tuck in a note here that I intend to work through the final three chapters today, Sunday. (Update: now in the homestretch. Feels like finishing a marathon and I just want to collapse.)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first week of December hasn't been particularly productive on the writing/reading front - Christmas prep has been on the front burner. But most of the decorating and the bulk of my shopping is complete. I still have to write our annual Christmas missive, address Christmas cards and get the holiday baking under way. I gave my husband the list of books I'd like, so I expect a reading frenzy in the final week of December. Right now I'm plowing through the 2019 Best American Short Stories Anthology.

[ ] Write 8k words on final book of series - 1,250 out of 8,000
[ ] Read 5 books - 0 of 5

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've not started on Christmas yet, except for bugging my family for lists... which they are withholding. Soon, they will be stuck with receiving 'donations to a worthy cause' if they don't send me wish lists. I wish I was more on the ball with holiday spirit. The only part I always jump into on time is the mulled wine and such, yum.

[ 3/8s through ] work through two rounds of beta comments on The Vastol Vendetta and upload final copy to website
[ ] blog post, website Nope.
[ ] try to line up five library events--science talks or author talks or having them shelve my book. I've contacted five libraries but four have not replied. Still, I might get three events nailed down by the end of the month. Probably not five.
[ ] three hours aerobics per week Nope. Maybe 2 this week.
[ ] I feel like there's something I'm forgetting. Whatever it was, perhaps I accomplished it.

I've been noodling around with the idea of combining my short stories into a print volume (to put out next year at some point) when I have enough material (like four chunky stories). So maybe this month I'll brainstorm a list of what those stories might be. I have two, on the website, but if they don't work as a freebie magnet I might try them as a second publication. I've been second-guessing this idea, feeling like I'm putting the cart before the horse. I'll leave this idea for weeks in 2020 when i can't face working on Volume Two of the main series.

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
The first week has not been good for editing, but I have written a story and done a tinsy bit on the NaNo novel.

I have also read the rest of my spirits series by Tony Foster - so Castle Spirits, Coastguard Spirits, Cave Spirits. They lose any continuity but a vague nod by the end of it lol. Still fun. I thought I had one more ghost book; then I remembered it was actually a time travel story (which the protagonist thinks might be ghosts at the start). So I've moved on to my sister's Meg Cabot Mediator books, which are always a fun, easy read.

My family doesn't do presents (except for the small children) when we're not getting together (and then we like to do secret santa), so I just need to buy for the sister I live with. We decided to do fancy stockings, and I've made good progress on that this week (I'm creating something for her as well as buying, so that's taking lots of time).

I forgot to put baking on my goal list! It's there now. And I've... decorated more than baked. My other sister, the one with the kids, asked us to make the birthday cake for my niece's 5th bday today (the last birthday she tried, on her limited time, it did not end happily). We decided to go with packet mix cakes just to focus on the decorations - a t-rex theme - and it looked pretty awesome.

So while I have not done any editing, I feel like I've had a productive week.

1. Read five books. 3/5
2. Draft two new stories. 1/2

3. Edit 'gods'. Nope.
3.2 Edit one other story. Nope.
3.6 (bonus) Edit one other other story or two flash. Definitely nope.

4. Game planning. Nope.
5. Continue MoF (NaNo). Tinsy bit.
6. Read or write or edit each day. Yes!

7. Bake something! Decorations!

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
It's December already? The year just flew by!

Here are my goals for this month. Marked are the ones that I completed already.

[X] Write Queen's Fall (Alice in Wonderland Retelling from POV of the villain) - 30k words
[X] Edit Queen's Fall (Alice in Wonderland Retelling from POV of the villain)
[X] Write The Heir to Wonderland (Alice in Wonderland Retelling from POV of the hero) - 30k words
[X] Edit The Heir to Wonderland (Alice in Wonderland Retelling from POV of the hero)
[ ] Write 5 posts on my author blog in December
[ ] Send out monthly newsletter
[ ] Edit The Wolf of the Baskervilles (The Adventures of Marisol Holmes #3)
[ ] Write story for Hidden Magic anthology - 20k words.
[ ] Edit story for Hidden Magic anthology.
[ ] Publish release schedule for next year.
[ ] Finish rewrite for Symphony of the Departed (Allegro Academy #1)
[ ] Write story for Dragons & Mages Anthology - minimum 10k words

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
So relieved to check item number one off that I'm reporting early this week.

Congrats to progress to any participants, and to fellow toilers one and all.

[ XX ] work through two rounds of beta comments on The Vastol Vendetta and upload final copy to website. Yes! At long last. This was a slog but it's done.

[ 1/2 done ] blog post, website. Took a first draft to writers club and they liked it... but it needs some work.

[ ] try to line up five library events--science talks or author talks or having them shelve my book. Three talks are shaping up, and the local library will shelve my book, and a friend thinks she can help me get another talk. Slow going, but might hit five in the end.

[ ] three hours aerobics per week. I feel like going for a long jog right now and will use this list to encourage me to do so.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
End of week 2 of the month, and I haven't made much more progress on the writing front. Just felt stymied all week long. I did, however, finish a book (the 2019 Best American Short Stories anthology) and am ready to read something else.

I'm in good shape with my holiday prep, though. Presents that had to be mailed have been mailed, cards have gone out, and the baking frenzy has begun (two batches of cookies today, and cinnamon bread is on the rise as I type this). So it's not like I've been spending all my time putzing around on the interwebs (although I have done some of that, too).

[ ] Write 8k words on final book of series - 1,521 out of 8,000
[ ] Read 5 books - 1 of 5

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the baking in this thread. I miss all the people who used to play here :(

Anyway, week 2, and still not exactly high on editing. I've done a little bit of gods, but not a huge amount. If I manage to get it done though, it's a novelette, not a short story, so maybe I'll count it as two. I'm probably getting ahead of myself there though :p I've started the second new story draft, only have about 500 words of it so far, but think I know where it's going.

I finished the first Mediator book, Love You to Death, and it was fun. It was nice, after my Spirits series, to read well-formed sentences too. I haven't started the next book yet because the MC spends most of it being completely wrong - I remember that - and it makes me reluctant.

Tiny bit of game words, obviously no other editing, no MoF this week. I did, however, finish the present I was making for my sister! (Mostly. My other sister is hopefully going to staple it for me at her work.) I really hope she likes it, given how much time has gone into it.

And today I'm going to decorate another cake for the other sister (the stapling one, not the one I live with, who will also be decorating). Honestly, between xmas, two family bdays, and all the end of year attempts to catch up, it's wonder I get anything done in December.

1. Read five books. 4/5
2. Draft two new stories. 1/2

3. Edit 'gods'. Tinsy, tiny start.

4. Game planning. Tinsy, tiny bit.
5. Continue MoF (NaNo). Tinsy bit.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the baking in this thread. I miss all the people who used to play here :(

I miss them, too, and have been wondering maybe if this thread has run its course. There are other goal threads on the board so it could be that this one has become superfluous.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Oh my gosh. I forgot to check in. I really am out of the habit!

But, some progress to report and one task to add:

[X] Update resume
[X] Update LinkedIn
[X] Create daily schedule
[ ] Decide on organization system
[ ] Prioritize projects
[ ] Update website

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed this thread but will soon be transitioning to 'words per day' goals. I'd do it on this thread as long as this thread exists but can transition over.

Baking... I did bake cookies last week. Tollhouse morsels--> chocolate chip cookies, and Rice Krispie Treats using the marshmallows from our camping trip a couple months ago. Yum!

This time of year is when the knitting usually comes out. There are a couple unfinished sweaters I'd like to get back to. Like really, really old projects from when the girls were four and seven. There's probably only a few weeks of work on either, and this is the time of year when it's nice to curl up in the evening with a knitting project, so perhaps one will get done. I finished an adult sweater for each girl two years ago--when it became clear that the little sweaters would never fit them anymore. So these cute little-girl sweaters beckon, each winter. :)

There's also one of the stockings to finish. All four were made about twenty years ago, from recycled bits of felt and wool. The intent was to embroider our names on the top of each. Three of the four of us have our names on the stockings. Poor Mr. Patty has had only a portion of the first initial of his first name on his stocking, for about ten years. :) It's become something of a family joke at this point, but I do intend to finish it...

You all are inspiring me to read more. :) I plan to crack The Name for World is Forest tonight.

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I do not know.

Regardless, another week has passed, it is almost the end of the year, and I'm not sure I want to look back on my overall year. The week, however, finished the second drafted story. I needed some inspiration when writing these stories, so I looked at the Secret Solstice thread. I am either well prepared to start editing when I get my giftee - or I'm well prepared to start editing some bonus stories!

I have done a little more editing on gods, but once again, not a huge amount. I've played a lot of Stardew Valley? I still hope to get that one, at least, finished before the end of the month, but it may be a futile hope.

Still reading the second Mediator book. It took me a while, but I am making progress. Started Pride and Prejudice as well because I needed something for a medical appointment waiting room and wasn't sure whether I'd be in the mood for Mediator.

Otherwise no game words - hoped having a set game time would prompt me, but getting that is occasionally difficult - and a bit more on MoF. I'm actually getting the flow back on that (not writing it a good portion of the month lost me) and I think I'm heading towards an end. Or a meander in circles before the end.

I tried to put a picture of the cake my sister and I decorated for my other sister's bday since we were very proud of it but couldn't figure it out. I'm going to go play more Stardew instead.

1. Read five books. 4/5
2. Draft two new stories. 2/2

3. Edit 'gods'. Started.

4. Game planning. Tinsy, tiny bit.
5. Continue MoF (NaNo). Some.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Started finishing Mr. Patty's stocking last night. While looking for chalk to mark the area on it to embroider, I came across our old game of Tantrix. This is an easy and fun game for 2 - 4 players that we bought ages ago. I'm certain we didn't pay $60 for it, though, so it looks like the price has really gone up.

Anyway, me and hubby and Almost-Twenty played two games of Tantrix while watching The Great British Bake Off (Vegan week). I worked on his stocking during their turns.

As far as goals--I finished The Word for World is Forest and it's a great example of engaging prose. Really beautiful writing. I'm still reading Mistborn and working on a beta read of a SFF manuscript.

[ XX ] work through two rounds of beta comments on The Vastol Vendetta and upload final copy to website.

[ XX ] blog post, website.

[ x ] try to line up five library events--science talks or author talks or having them shelve my book. One definite talk scheduled for the end of January, in Santa Paula, and the local library and its second branch will each shelve a book. That counts as three in my book, so 60% success. Most of my library requests went unanswered, but we'll see what January brings. Anyway, I'm done soliciting libraries for now.

[ x ] three hours aerobics per week. Kinda-sorta. December, you know? Short days, rainy, lots of things that clog up the schedule.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't written a lick this week, and am still slogging through the same book I started last week. It's a friend's self-published book, and it's not a genre I usually read, and oh, it really needed a stronger editorial hand. I've reached the halfway mark and decided not to finish it. I'm giving myself a half-credit for it, and have my fingers crossed that my friend (who is a lovely person) won't ask me about it.

I should have a stack of new books for Christmas, but I need something to read in bed until Wednesday comes. Off to buy myself a little pre-Christmas present.

[ ] Write 8k words on final book of series - 1,521 out of 8,000
[ ] Read 5 books - 1.5 of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.