Pleased to meet you...

Devil Doc

Registered
Reaction score
Please allow me to introduce myself. I’m from Northern Virginia, USA and teach high school after serving 26 years as a US Navy Corpsman. My bride and I celebrated our 35 year marriage a few days ago. We have two grown kids and two grandsons and a dog and a cat.

I have a couple stories in progress but have stalled. I find myself just reading and editing without much forward movement. I was the medical advisor on a novel based on events in the war in Iraq. On another writers site I found myself in the poetry section and was surprised when I found the courage to post some rhymes. I received a few laudatory comments but wonder if they were just being nice and trying to make me feel good. I practice a bit by writing to my wife and kids on their special days. I wrote a poem to my eldest grandson when he was two and put it in a hardback book with photos.

Anyway, this looks like a great place in which to learn and participate.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right back at you, Devil Doc. We have an active poetry board, a whole lot of short story writers, and a fine group overall. Welcome!

Maryn, sweeping snow off the welcome mat

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

You found an awesome and supportive community to join.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Devil Doc! Welcome! And thanks for your service. :hi: I'm Kat.

Here are the short fiction and poetry subfora Maryn mentioned. Get to 50 substantive posts and you will be able to post your work for critique as well. We're honest and supportive, some of us brutally so.

Our wonderful moderator, regdog, will be on here within the day with more helpful links.

This is a wonderful place to grow and learn. Enjoy your time! :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.