Cover of T. Kingfisher's Paladin's Grace

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

online thriller school

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2019 Challenge - Write Every Day!

figuring it all out
    Jumping back in after a hectic few months of not writing.

Modest goal for this month of exam season: write 150 words a day.

Nothing written yesterday, but 174 words today.

practical experience, FTW Cindyt's Avatar
    Day 2

Word Count - 658

Research - Amount of water in a tub bath--70 gallons. Expensive perfumes. It had to be the most expensive brand because she is a globetrotting fashion horse whose daddy has a gazillion dollars. Chanel Grand Extrait goes for $4,200 per ounce these days and $1,756 in 1985. Bingo!

Revisions - 4 major scenes and deleted a dupe.

Tweek - Four chapters

black.e.weis - Your novel sounds interesting. I love WWII/WWIII stories. WTG on the 10 pages!

Donovan - Congrats on the 1,000 word count. Doesn’t it feel good to find yourshef happy with what you’ve written?

April - Good luck with that last chunk. My double donut day is coming up fast. Lol.

Layla - Congrats on the ½ page. Get better soon.

Taylor - Love me some time travel stories.

sandree - good luck with the newsletter.

Ptero - 165 words is better than nothing and a no show.

shanthini -

Keithy - WTG on 829 words! Sounds like you had a productive day.

aurora - Welcome back! WTG on 174 words! That’s more than your goal. Thatt’s always good.

Didn’t do as much today as yesterday due to revisions. Actually, I could have added perhaps 500 more words, but I wasn’t fresh enough to create the scene where Billy hit’s a major drug lord for DEADco. Yes, he’s back working undercover for them. The SAC kind of twisted his arm back into the pack of animal-code agents. This dovetails with main plot, except for this one segue into wet work.

Now, imma go watch IT: The Second Chapter amazon prime.
    Last edited by Cindyt; 12-03-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    You can fix anything but a blank page.--Bonnie Hearn Hill

Layla: Yay for 1 page! Glad you’re feeling a wee bit better.

Taylor: Sounds like fun research.

sandree: Do you use a PO Box for your newsletter? Have you noticed an impact on sales?

Pterofan: It’s always good to be paid.

blake: Nice work editing.

shanthini: Awesome start. Good luck with your goals!

Keithy: Ha, that has to be my favourite research topic so far!

aurora: Very sensible to set an achievable goal. Good luck with your exams.

Cindyt: Nice work with the words n stuff. What natural odour is someone trying to cover up with such expensive perfume?

I remapped my ending and sorted out Chapters 10 and 11. It’s not been too painful, actually, and I think I’ll be able to rescue more of the old stuff. I still have a couple of big things to figure out though.

Day 3: Decent bit; 6 miles; soup success

Raised on chocolate and caffeine Pterofan's Avatar
    Day 2 - 712 words. The plan yesterday was to cut and paste a large pre-typed scene, but I had to write an intro and a chapter end to blend it all together, hence an unexpected 700 new words. Not that I'm complaining. I got to bed at a decent hour too, something that didn't always happen in November. Not gonna knock that either.

I've been having fun with traditional vampire and werewolf lore, and came up with an idea I haven't decided if I'll use. The FMC gets attacked by the wolf shifter and the vampire, but the good guys rescue her and whisk her off to their hotel. Meanwhile, the bad guys team up. They need a place to hide out, so the wolf suggests FMC's apartment (she had to walk home and he trailed her from her workplace, so he knows where she lives). The vampire can't go in; he needs to be invited in by a resident. The wolf breaks in, marks his turf in the time-honored tradition of canines, and invites the vampire in. And it works. Doesn't smell nice, but it works. Now, when the heroes bring the FMC back to her place to pick up her stuff, they'll all walk into an unplanned ambush. That'll keep the plot moving for another chapter or two.

If I do use this, I think I'll be vague about how Wolfy claimed the apartment. Let the readers figure it out. (Pet owners shouldn't have any problems. )

Layla - tea and bed rest

Cindy - Gahh! It. Haven't seen the new version, but I remember reading the book when it first came out. Made those after-dark trips to the bathroom quite the adventure.

Keithy - where are those photos of you in the cheerleader outfit?

practical experience, FTW sandree's Avatar
    April - it’s an email newsletter. I’m not sure if it has an impact. I think I will see when I release another book. Hoping I will get some sales from the list. Or I could send out freebies to the list and request reviews. It is still a piddling little list. A lot of the subscribers came from a short time I was enrolled with Voracious Readers Only (costs $15-20 month). It is a service that sends your book out for free to targeted readers in return for signing up to your email list. And the readers are encouraged to review. I got some nice reviews from that and the readers were ones who liked my book so they match readers with books pretty well. One of the better things I have tried...

Power to the pen! Taylor Harbin's Avatar
    Again, no real word count, but I got things done. Wrote down some more potential character names and made some narrative decisions. I opted for a single timeline rather than multiverse; seems that would lend itself to greater stakes (and justify a government regulatory agency imposing stiff rules). Found some historical incidents, parts of which I can alter and combine into my plot (though 5000 words isn't a lot to work with...but maybe expand it later?).
    Visit my blog, updated regularly!

http://gutsofimagination.blogspot.com/

Got an old typewriter you want gone? PM me!

Cindy - again I am impressed by your research subjects.
    April - yeah endings are important... a flat one can spoil all the hard work.
    Pterofan - despite my recent weight loss, they do not have my size.
    Taylor - yes, single timelines always made more sense to me, and are easier to pull off in narrative terms.

I did 1306 words on Demon Hunter. There's a fight between the Ice Demon and the Black Tentacled Demon. Total wordcount over 67K; I should get this done in about a week or so. I did a sketch map of the city where most of the action takes place.

Also did a tiny bit of work on an outline/structure for Fire Witch.

Research - more about cheerleading. It's that or NFL.

I'm spending about 80% of my "writing time" putting words on paper, with the rest split between outlining other projects and research.

non-writing

Putting up Christmas decorations. Bah humbug!

keep swimming or sailing or whatever.
    Last edited by Keithy; 12-04-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    I'm like a galleon under full sail or a wagon with all its wheels broken

Keithy, trust those dang Ice Demons to make trouble congrtats on the 829
    Hello Aurora - congrats on the 174. I think modest goals are the way to go. When we get too ambitious we end up beating ourselves up for failing. (my goal is 1/4 page handwritten fwiw)
    Cindy, congrats on 658+three!
    all right Ptero, congrats on all those words, and on the early-to-bed (oh - & the wickid pissah plot solution
    Keep up the good work, Taylor
    (Keithy - Scrooge was a visionary). & congrats on the 1K!

Day 3 - mad snow here.

WIP - 1/2 page
    R/SC - enjoyed the snow (went to a cafe, it was deserted solitude, ftw!), did some chores, got my lunch and coffee ready for work tomorrow
    BP/$$ - did some tidy/sorting, working on some projects
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

figuring it all out
    Day 3-
    Managed to edit 5 pages but then find out I made a historical date error and with my story already fine tuned I can’t shift chapters so now I have to create a brand new Chapter. While I’m annoyed at my mistake I am excited for the challenge of creating and fitting in new material.

figuring it all out
    I also want to say you all are doing a great and to keep up the hard work.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Day 3: Good progress today. 1,343 words and I think I figured out my ending. Just need to write the scenes to get me there

Layla - Sounds like you're feeling better - glad you made progress.
    Keithy - Good luck with the research.
    Aurora - congrats on meeting your goal
    Cindyt - I can’t imagine spending that much on perfume.
    April - congrats on your successes!
    Pterofan - your story sounds fun - glad that's not my apartment!
    Taylor - Getting decisions made sounds like progress to me
    blake - love the positive thinking - I need more of that.

figuring it all out
    Day 3

165 words today.

Not bad when I have a 40% exam Friday afternoon. It's still 165 more words than I had when I started.

figuring it all out
    Shanthini- you’re welcome! Have to stay positive or else I won’t get anything done, lol.

Aurora Borealis- anything is better than nothing. I remember when school Had to take priority over writing but it always felt good if I could get something written.

Day 3

Word Count - 791

Growing Up Buford Blog - Completed second draft

Research - Cyberspace

Interview - My sister, about the bullies who tormented her in grammar and middle schools.

Revisions - Second draft of my article

black.e.weis - Congrats on the five pages.

April - Never thought about her hiding an odor in that expensive smell. She just has two three scenes.

Layla - Congrats on another ½ page. Mad snow? I don’t even like the tame stuff.

Taylor - Good luck on your project!

sandree - Good luck with the newsletter!

Ptero - Congrats on the 700 new words! Speaking of werewolves. I was reading about an animal attack in a northern US state. A caregiver arrived at her job before dawn, got out of her car, and was attacked by a mysterious animal. DNA came back as canine, but they don’t know if it was wolf, dog, or coyote. Naturally, my first thought was werewolf.

Loved the first IT reboot, and the second, so far.

Shanthini - WOW on the word count and congrats on figuring out the ending. I can’t image spending that much on perfume either, nor sleeping just once on $2000 linens fitted on floating beds.

Keithy - Nice word count!

aurora - 165 is something.

I had to put aside work on my novels to revise the article. I’m thinking about changing the title from Bullies to some line in the body.

Decided on a name for the protagonist and have begun outlining the scheme my gang operates. Hoping to move into my new house soon, so my daily work is going to be limited to jots and scribbles for now.

sandree: Cool, thanks for sharing. Yeah, sorry I meant do you use a PO Box instead of listing your home address? I coughed up for one for a teeny newsletter under a different pen name, and it seemed quite a waste of money. But then putting my own address down seems a bit risky! This is when having an agent or publishing house would come in handy …

Pterofan: 712 is awesome!

Taylor: Sounds like you’ve got a good idea of where you’re heading.

Keithy: Woo, you’re almost there!

Layla: Ooo snow! Tomorrow it’s supposed to be warmer here at night than it is in the day, so who knows what’s going on. Yay for 1/2 page

blake: That’s a good attitude to take!

shanthini: Excellent work. Enjoy your stay in the 1k club—first round is on the house.

aurora: Not bad at all

Cindyt: Nice work. I meant more the people in real life who are buying it! Or maybe it’s insecurity they’re trying to mask.

Revised a chapter and figured out a mystery element that I now need to weave seamlessly into the rest of the book. Ma poor wee wordcount took a hit as I cut out a lot of the old gumph from the ending. Sigh.

Day 4: Decent bit; 3 miles; crumble time

Raised on chocolate and caffeine Pterofan's Avatar
    Day 3 - about a page longhand, roughly 400 words

The assignment's due Friday, so I can finally get back into the groove and type up all the longhand over the weekend. Almost all the longhand is that rewritten scene in Book 1, which is now a chase scene and ends on a cliffhanger. It's probably longer, but reads faster.

I think I'll let my vampire-werewolf team-up survive the end of the book. I'm starting to like these guys, or maybe just feel sorry for the poor vampire. They're like a paranormal Odd Couple (the werewolf is definitely Oscar).

Cindy - it was probably some kind of hybrid dog. They wouldn't be afraid of getting close enough to a human to attack them. Or a horny werewolf. Hard to say.

Layla - that bad weather I was expecting on Monday missed our area and went north. Woke up to a coating this morning. I fear the worst is coming...

Keithy -

practical experience, FTW sandree's Avatar
    Edited a couple of chapters - feeling a bit better about the whole project after sorting out what was helpful from beta reads and what was just confusing.

April - I am careful not to share an address or phone number that recipients of my newsletter can see - and I use a pen name. I like my privacy.☺️

Pterofan - So glad we missed the snow this time. I hear you on the future snow. If we get as much precipitation as we did this summer and fall, we could have a very white winter.

Taylor - good luck on the move. We may be headed for that too.

Cindyt - bullying is a great topic especially with a personal story

Blake - congrats on your editing...

Aurora - congrats on the words - moving forward is always cause to feel good

Shanthini - great progress!

figuring it all out
    Day 4-
    Only edited two pages today but last night I found the very first draft of my story that I started 12 yrs ago. I thought it got lost after I moved. It was hand written and typed on a typewriter. Just going through it I realized that there was content and scenes that I had forgotten about and can now add back in and flesh my story out even more

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Only 710 today. Guess my stay in the 1k club was short-lived. But it's still progress. Super-busy at work and activities at home, but stopped in to post my count Being on this board has been good for me as far as writing something every day.

Great job, everyone, on making progress.

congrats on the editing blake & it sounds like you made some fine lemonade there
    all right shanthini! Congrats on the 1.3K and an ending in sight
    aurora, way to go, congrats on that 165!
    Cindy, congrats on the 791 + four!
    Nice, Taylor
    Congrats on the revision & the figuring, April
    Ptero, der Winter kommt. Congrats on the 400!
    congrats on that editing, sandree
    congrats on the two pages edited, blake

Day 4

WIP - 3/4 page
    R/SC - quick errand to tha liberry after work, printed a return label & got a book on sashiko (sewing)
    BP/$$ - earning service
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

Blake - oh that's rough. Hope the new chapter goes well.
    Cindy - yay for 791. I've had a lot worse than that (eg, 7 words!)
    April - cutting out gumph is no bad thing. As long as you don't replace it with new gumph that is.
    Shanthini - there's always tomorrow to get back into the 1K club. And don't worry, 710 is still pretty good.

Today's word count on Demon Hunter was 1245. Shana has reactivated her powers and is fighting the big black demon with tentacles. Shields up and zap zap zap.

Tiny bit done on Fire Witch.

Research:

Found some videos about cheerleading tricks. Not including how to get the skirt to cover my hairy legs.

18th Century French names and "Noblesse Uterine".

non-writing

more Christmas Decorations.
    food shopping
    steeling myself for buying and wrapping Christmas Presents.
    Feeling really tired and wanting a break... bad timing for that.

keep swimming, you can do it.
    I'm like a galleon under full sail or a wagon with all its wheels broken

Day 4

Word Count - 334

Growing Up Buford Blog - Completed third draft and posted article.

Research - Celebrity who attributes childhood bullying to his PTSD: fashion designer Tom Ford.

Revisions - The article. A love scene in the crime novel

black.e.weis - So glad you found the manuscript. From my own experience, it really feels good when that happens.

April - Nice work session. The rich are different.

Layla - Congrats on the ¾ page!

Taylor - Good luck all round!

sandree - There’s usually some gems in the confusion. The girl who tuck up for me all those years ago read it and couldn’t believe I still remembered what she said. I couldn’t believe she remembered any of it. Lol.

Ptero - A horny werewolf sounds sexier than a hybrid dog. You’ve got me thinking about a story…

Shanthini - You did great!

Keithy - 1245 is a wow word count.

I had planned to use today’s session polishing my article, which I renamed A Bright Light in Brutal Darkness, but a scene in the crime novel was bugging me. Finished the article to rave reviews.

Got all the character names I need. Now I just have to figure out the plot; where to begin and whose POV to use. Good job, everyone!

Wishing Upon a Star... K Robert Donovan's Avatar
    Drive by. I took some time to write yesterday and continued revising the opening section of my book. I may post it again under SYW for feedback.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast