• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Relay Publishing

LorieAnn

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here worked with Relay Publishing, or know of someone who has? I'm particularly interested in their work for hire opportunities. Could a fast writer (a fast writer who has no issue with selling away all rights to various stories) do well there?

I've sold many romance stories to magazines and epubs over the years. I've even self-published a few. That said, I'm not a romance writer by any stretch, so the thought of selling away all rights doesn't bother me. I am curious to know if independent contractors who've worked with Relay are satisfied, are paid on time, and whether they would recommend working with this publisher.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
That said, I'm not a romance writer by any stretch, so the thought of selling away all rights doesn't bother me. I am curious to know if independent contractors who've worked with Relay are satisfied, are paid on time, and whether they would recommend working with this publisher.

I AM a romance writer, and it's bloody hard work, a hugely competitive genre, and not something you become overnight.

Last edited:

LorieAnn

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate your thoughtful response, Sonya. Thanks so much. Do you have any information about this publisher and its opportunities?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are interested in work for hire to an outline, and think you could do it, I would suggest just approaching them about pay rates. But they don't seem to be looking for romance genre writers from what I can see,

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I see this is an older thread, but I was wondering about Relay Publishing as well. I’ve just completed a trial period for them. Does anyone have experiences working with this company?

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I'd be interested in hearing about your trial period. Tell us more about the process so far, and what your thoughts and impressions have been.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
At the moment I’m thinking it’s a little shady. I applied to write for an open genre, they accepted me for a trial period and supplied me with materials and an agreed upon rate (which seems low but that’s besides the point). I completed the sample chapters, worked with an editor and revised it. I was then told I was accepted on the team. However, they then said they have no writing for me. Which seems odd considering the position was listed as open. Additionally, I submitted my invoice. After a week, I’m yet to be paid. Then, when I followed up with Human Resources I got no response. Prior to that, this person applied to each of my emails.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. That sounds worse than shady, Tyler. It sounds like they may attempt to stiff you.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised. I was one of the lucky ones to get tangled with publish America a number of years ago.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Update: they did in fact pay me, so that’s a plus!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're suckers for a happy ending. Thanks for telling us.