• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to move on to omniscient?

skylessbird2218

I Don't Bite...
Registered
Reaction score
I usually write in third person limited, an extremely close version of it, but I've always wanted to try my hand at omniscient. Though I'm trying to do just that that with my recent work, I have no doubt that it's been affected by the limited viewpoint too much. any way to rectify that?

CJEvermore

Registered
Reaction score
A few things to try. By wanting to write from the omniscient POV, you obviously want to explore different characters. Maybe write a few scenes or chapters involving different characters, getting a feel for their individuality, their personas? Rather than diving straight into the story, experiment and play around a little bit to get a feel for the approach.

Also, read a few novels or even short stories that take the omniscient approach. See how other writers do it. :)

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
Try developing an inner monologue for your main characters. You could also write out what secondary characters are doing when not part of the action. This may help you to know when to add these insights to your story and what to leave out.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Omniscient POV is close to Third person Limited but varies mainly because an omniscient narrator can switch to a different character's perspective any time, and can simultaneously share with the reader anything and everything about that character and any other character. But despite any periodic switching or closing in on characters, the narrative voice remains that of the omniscient narrator - not that of chosen characters.

Omniscience lacks the enforced discipline of Third Person Limited, but still requires focus and control to be effective. The temptation to ramble on and jump about -simply because one can- has to be controlled.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
The temptation to ramble on and jump about -simply because one can- has to be controlled.

I just read and reviewed a book that had that issue. The author handled it fairly well, but I was frequently confused about who was talking and what was going on.

That subtle level of distraction kept me at a distance from the characters. Flittering about, knowing this person is feeling this and that person is thinking that actually kept me from going deep and relating to any of the characters.

skylessbird2218

I Don't Bite...
Registered
Reaction score
knowing this person is feeling this and that person is thinking that actually kept me from going deep and relating to any of the characters.

That's another thing, do I have to go full in into all the characters head, or can I just do with what I want to reveal and leave the rest open to interpretation?

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's another thing, do I have to go full in into all the characters head, or can I just do with what I want to reveal and leave the rest open to interpretation?

That's every writer's constant choice.

How much to reveal depends upon story requirements and how much you decide should be revealed, but that's entirely the writer's decision.

You are omniscient- you are all-knowing- you can do anything you choose. You can get as close to- or as far away from - any character as you choose.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Read books written in 'Omniscient' and see how it's done. Then take what works from that lot as you write your new story. Fwiw, the 'omniscient' narrator can be thought of as a 'storyteller' - it is not involved in the story, but conveys the story to the audience(reader).

NB - make sure that the story really is consistently written in this point of view. If you read a 19th century novel, odds are very good it is written this way.