I recently wrote a dialogue in which a 12-yr-old girl tells my MC, an 18-yr-old woman (I'll say woman, it's wartime, she's had a lot on her shoulders already) who has a position of some responsibility for her that a 12-yr-old friend of hers is being sexually harassed, & fears being abused, by a member of her foster/host family. (Friend made Girl swear not to tell but Girl is telling anyway.)

Once I got done I went, wow, that went way too smoothly. The girl spoke unevenly but managed to put all the relevant information into about five lines of text, upon which my MC was like "oh no that's terrible, it will be dealt with immediately, I promise no-one will know you told, in fact the org that placed her can remove her from that family with no explanation, and I'm sure they will as soon as I get them notified and everything will be okay." (And in fact that is what will happen. This is a subplot and as such is fairly simple.)

I hear so much about mishandling of such moments. It's tempting to make your character handle things perfectly. It's tempting to give your character all the information they need to handle things perfectly! When I planned this scene, I thought my character would get so angry with the situation she'd burst out with "Why wasn't I told before??" and scare the girl silent and then have to repair that before moving on. But I prevented that by having the girl include info on why she hadn't told earlier (the evidence seemed too thin to be credited, it's just a pattern of following and watching and apparently innocuous touching) in her initial spilling of the story! Why did I do that? It worked... but I don't know if I should have.

Is the "smooth" version of my scene a good example of how such things ought to be handled? Is it wish-fulfillment, an aspect of making my character too perfect? Is it reassuring for those wondering if they dare disclose abuse within "Good" organizations? Is it infuriating for those who have, and have been received with denial, doubt & actions designed to protect the org rather than the victim?