Starting 3rd Draft

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
Been working on my book for number of years now and I finally finished a 2nd draft a couple months ago. Though I’ve only received feedback from one out of the six people I feel like I’m ready to tackle the next draft. My goal is to have the first half done by New Years.

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Though I feel like I might be rushing it. Like I said I sent my 2nd draft to six people and only one replied with edits. Two said they weren’t going to able to get to it and the others won’t respond to my messages

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
The hard truth may be that they try to read it and don't get very far. Have you considered possibly asking a professional editor to look at it? I would love to be wrong about that.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Sad to say but being realistic, if you want good advice, you need to pay for it. Writing is a learning process but every so often you need to check whether you are heading in the right direction.

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I’m starting to realize that but like I said earlier I don’t know where to looking.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
You could get yourself some feedback on a short passage via the SYW part of this forum. You will need 50 substantive posts before you can put up your own work, but it can be a good way of honing in on areas of your writing that you may need to look at. Anything learned can then be applied to the rest of your ms.

A good way of reaching the 50 substantive post count is by critting others' work in SYW--which is also a really great way to improve your own writing. Really! Also, you will build relationships with other critters who, having seen you around, will be more likely to put the time into critting your work.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you couldn’t get into the forum until you had 50 posts

Ooops. :Hug2:

The only thing you can't do until you have 50 site posts is start a new Thread in the Share-Your-Work Forum. The password is vista.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Third draft? Bravo.

I don't know if you have already done this, but standard advice to see a project with fresh eyes is to take a step back for, say, a month or six weeks. My own deficiencies leap off the page, when I adopt this approach.

I would get your posts up to the required threshold for SYW and then post an extract.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Yeah I’m starting to realize that but like I said earlier I don’t know where to looking.

You could start here. The service is practically free. Just be sure you want frank feedback, because that's what you'll get. I was a literary agent for 14 years, and before that an editor at a major NYC publisher.

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
Talktidy- I finished my second around the beginning of October and I haven’t touched it sense. Since then I’ve been researching another project.