RIP, Howard Cruse

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Howard Cruse introduced me to the world of underground comix as one of the founders of the anthology Gay Comix/Comics, serving as an editor and contributor. Later, I'd subscribed to The Advocate when his series "Wendell" was published there, also buying the anthologies. During his run in Gay Comix, he ran a few strips from an earlier feature called Barefootz, and I developed a mad crush on Barefootz's gay hippie artist friend Headrack (he had such a knack for naming his characters. One story had somebody named Newton Borp and another featured the exploits of Dexter Mixmaster; through him and his work, I learned the importance of getting a character's name just right). Recently, he'd announced his seminal semi-autobiographical graphic novel Stuck Rubber Baby is due for a 25th anniversary reissue next year, but he passed away today at the age of 75 from cancer. I'd followed him on Facebook, so it's rather difficult seeing the tributes to such an important part of my gay babyhood pour onto my feed. Fare thee well, Mr. Cruse, on to your next level of existence. You will be missed.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I hadn't realized how important Cruse's work was on such a personal level until recently. I remember being so proud because I'd made a comment years ago on his website and he politely emailed me back if he could copy it and his response to include on the page, next to the image I'd commented on. Of course, he could!

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am sorry to hear about that...often it is when we lose someone that we really grasp their impact on us. I can somewhat relate because one of the people I acknowledge in my novel for his technical advice on hospital routines took his life just a couple months after the novel's release. It was very unexpected and somewhat tarnished the excitement of the publication. It's really disheartening to know I will never be able to turn to him for any thoughts or tips as I continue to write ever again.

mentacle

Registered
Reaction score
I interned with him in 2002. Great guy, very kind and gentle and dedicated.