Bowker ISBN questions

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I got the ten pack and have used two of them for print and ebook (and anticipate using a third when i sort out Ingram Spark.) Three down.

Am I supposed to tell bowker the titles associated with the numbers they sold me? Amazon said something in their Q&A about how they'd make sure everything matches between my numbers and Bowker. But I don't see why Bowker would care what I attach the numbers to, and maybe Amazon just needs to know I own them.

And, second question, when I filled out the fields to publish at Amazon, one of them asked for the source of my ISBNs, to which I said Bowker. But now, not he product page, the publisher is listed as Bowker--even though I said I was the publisher. (Bowker was the source of the ISBNs.)

Should I worry about this, sort it out, email someone, monkey-wrench around in the fields (which might screw something up) or just not worry?

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, first of all, if you're using your own ISBNs (purchased from Bowker) for your books on Amazon - you won't need yet another ISBN when you go wide with Ingram. You only need additional ISBNs if you used Amazon's ISBNs.

Fill out the form on Bowker for your publications. It's for your own good (and sanity). ISBNs are used by publishers, booksellers, libraries, internet retailers and other supply chain participants for ordering, listing, sales records and stock control purposes. The ISBN identifies the registrant as well as the specific title, edition and format.

Regarding the source of the ISBN field on Amazon, they're asking who (or what entity) purchased the ISBN. So your name goes in that field. Publishers buy ISBNs by the buttload; any time their ISBN goes on a book, they are identified as the publisher. When my publisher crashed and burned last year and I had to self-publish my books to get them back on the market, I had to buy all new ISBNs so I was identified as the publisher of record.

I know it's confusing. Every time I get ready to publish I get super-anxious that I do everything just right - and I'm on my fifth book.

(And just wait until you apply for your copyright. That's fun, too.)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Dear.

OK, that makes sense--Can someone in amazon support fix the 'publisher' line? Should I email them? Do they have an amazon support person? ??

I'll put this on my to-do for tomorrow.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
(And just wait until you apply for your copyright. That's fun, too.)

Register; you don't have to apply for copyright, it's yours from the moment of creation.

You register copyright if you're the publisher of your book. Registration has the potential future benefit that if you win an infringement case for your book, your potential damage awards start at a higher level.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
OK. I think I tried to do that and it said the page was not available. I'll try again tomorrow. Thank you!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Register; you don't have to apply for copyright, it's yours from the moment of creation.

You register copyright if you're the publisher of your book. Registration has the potential future benefit that if you win an infringement case for your book, your potential damage awards start at a higher level.

You're correct, of course. But you do have to fill out an Application for Registration, which is why I used the term "apply."

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't re-access the ISBN fields on the book page (I did not unpublished the thing, so that's maybe why).

But--Customer support seemed to think I made the right input--that Bowker should be shown in the 'publisher' field of product details.

If that's true, they should re-name the field. :/

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Argh - they're incorrect. My experience is that unless you're talking to a next-level customer support person at KDP, questions that range outside the usual FAQ mean the rep has to go off-script - and most of them don't have the knowledge for that.

You're the publisher of record - not Bowker.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm listed as the publisher in the front matter. I wonder if this is enough for now. Anyone in publishing should easily recognize that Bowker is not the publisher, and that field is wrong...

ETA- I tried again to correct it by alerting the folks that should be in charge of this.

We'll see.

Last edited: