THE INDUSTRIAL AGE. Occasional data points on this thread.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Well, FWIW, this is the advice that Deranged Doctor Design has given me. The author font is standardized--same font and similar placement on all your books, for branding purposes. If you look at the covers in my signature (DDD has had a hand in all of them), you'll notice that the placement of the title font varies, but not my name.

However, none of those are in series. These two form the only series we've completed the covers for:

snow-white-and-cw-p1-cover-2-inches-high.jpg

snow-white-and-cw-p2-cover-2-inches-high.jpg

Note the identical fonts, similar placements, similar framing elements, etc. I varied the illustration and the palette.

My understanding is that you want to make it very clear that the individual books are part of a series, and that series needs to have its own distinct look from your other body of work, while at the same time looking as though it belongs to the same sub-genre. (Obviously, this would not apply if you penned a sci-fi series and also one that's urban fantasy.)

So, I have another series I started, and we chose a completely different font for the title, so that it doesn't look like it'll go with this one. But it still needs to read "classic noblebright fantasy" to anyone who's browsing through my Amazon page.

No problem, right? (I've been banging my head against that metaphoric wall for a while.)

Anyway, other designers may have different approaches. But DDD is well-respected and their covers generally do well. So, I thought I'd share what they've taught me, in case you find it useful. : )

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm most concerned with the title font. BUT I am v. glad I used the one I did on book one.

Placement and style, color palette, the font/etc of my name and a bunch of stuff can be held to the same on book two (the titular character will be different.). I have an idea of the title font I want for book two, and it will be specific to the titular character and I suspect we can make it work in the end. I bet we can design a font that does what I need for book two, while also reflecting back to book one's title.

I also puzzle over how the stand-alone short stories will 'work' since they are in -world but not part of the trilogy.

I figure worst case scenario is looking at the set and designing around that (re-doing the cover on this existing one).

Yeah, no problem! :)

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I do it like the images in my sig for my trilogy. Changed text placement a bit for books two and three, but not so much I'm going back and redoing book one to match the other two.

I deliberately used blue and grey a lot in each background image. Used the same character. Used the same yellow color of text which complements the blue in the background. Had an aerospace element in each cover. In other words, made each cover clearly part of the same time, place, and theme.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
It's so funny how exhausting releasing a book can be. Some folks seem able to do this without batting an eye. Not me. The past month has been exhausting, and I'm not even the person doing the work.

The cover artist is almost done (we're down to little things like the size of the drop cap on the back cover blurb and the kerning on the spine). The formatter is paid, but there's still one more file I need to get on that.

I've got to make a page on Goodreads. I've got to upload the files to Amazon. I've got to check everything.

None of this is hard, but I'm sort of exhausted, unless that's from the houseguests and holidays.

There's an author event in 3 weeks and I've got to design and order swag. This means getting the layered file from the cover artist, but he's still finalizing the spine and back.

I feel like my head is going in 12 directions.

But the end is in sight, and the second stand-alone-in-series should be out in a week or two.

Whew!

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
My book is live!

I don't whether to :hooray::hooray::hooray: , :e2faint::e2faint::e2faint: , or maybe :e2dance:.

I hit 'Publish' on KDP on Saturday morning at 9 AM (after reading the proof in under 2 and half days--and I still missed a typo, a repeated that that but a friend caught it so all is good.) I also found a head-hop in the proof, boy did that surprise me at this late stage. All fixed up now.

If you want to see how the formatting and everything turned out on the 'look inside' feature, i.e. through the link to Amazon, it's here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081X4T51G/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

and the cover is:

HU6xlcI.png

Which I hope to put in my signature like some of you other folks have done.

(ETA:I hope that sig image is not too big. I'll double check Amergina's sticky.)

Whoo. What a long haul. I hope someone somewhere enjoys it. :) My next plans are to set up the Amazon and GoodReads author pages and figure out instagram.
Congratulations!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Dickson!

Book Two is now available in paperback! Woohoo!

For some reason, I can't seem to make the e-book available yet, even though the files are all there. I had put it up for pre-order a month or two ago, so that I'd have the link for my other projects. I figured I could publish the ebook at anytime -- but Amazon seems to want 72 hours after any adjustment to the status of it. So, everything is there, and it's available for preorder, but won't be live til Saturday. Ah, well.

What I've learned on this project compared to the first one is that I'm far less emotional. It feels more like 'a business.' Part of that feeling, no doubt, is trying to write to a structure and with the right beats and the right emotion (instead of simply 'bleeding onto the page') but part of it is also being a little hardened to the process overall, and this being the second time around. I think.

I don't want to start the third book yet. But that's OK, I've got shorter projects cooking.

Anyway, here's the link. I don't expect you to click, :), but I figured I'd throw the link here anyway! :)

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Just ordered it! In another thread, I got the impression I shouldn't do a review on Amazon since their algorithms will discover that we know each other. Is that right? I've only written a few reviews for Amazon, one of which was for Aerovoyant.

• Love
Reactions: Woollybear

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Just ordered it! In another thread, I got the impression I shouldn't do a review on Amazon since their algorithms will discover that we know each other. Is that right? I've only written a few reviews for Amazon, one of which was for Aerovoyant.
Bless you good sir!! <3

Yes, I believe if we are mutuals on twitter, then Amazon might be able to 'see' that and then, yes, they might block the review. I'm aware of one case where this happened to a reader. She wrote a lovely review of Aerovoyant and blogged it (it was so wonderful) and then when she tried to put it on Amazon they declined it. All we can figure is that it's because she and I are mutuals on twitter.

There are work-arounds, such as posting a review to Goodreads or else using a different account to post the review to Amazon.

But, I so appreciate your support. Thanks again! <3

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
Yep...sometimes writers are also seen as "competitors" and their reviews can be banned. They also ban those who haven't spent enough money on Amazon in the last 6 months. LOL. No danger there. I'm rushing off to buy it as well!

• Love

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Trina! XOXO I hope it provides some enjoyment.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a bit of a shock to see an ad for your book mingled in between the news stories on a yahoo page--because it means Google is doing that creepy thing again... (Cover still looks fab though.:))

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Wait. What?

I'm not running ads of any sort. Is this an amazon new release thing? I've never heard of this sort of ad... on yahoo? but yes, it's creepy!

Reactions: TeresaRose

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not running ads of any sort.
Part of my surprise was because I thought with Amazon ad campaigns, the ads only appear on Amazon pages, but that's even more weird then.

I took a screenshot in case you wanted to see it, but guessing it might be a yahoo copyright violation to post it here?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sending that, Holly. I know we chatted briefly in email but I wanted to say it publicly too! It's very weird.

Apparently another friend of mine got an email describing my new release and my plans for the novella. She had almost memorized parts of the email. **I did not send the email.** But somehow my release schedule ended up in her box. The only thing we can figure is that she follows my author account on Amazon and so when I do anything or blog anything she gets a digest. (I'll need to keep that in mind as I blog.)

But in other news, the big author event this weekend is going great! It's such a rush to meet strangers, talk about areas of common interest, and then have those same strangers walk away having purchased a book! I like to think the sales don't really matter, because my reason for writing climate fiction is that it's preferable to not writing climate fiction, but I have to admit, it felt great to move a few copies to strangers off the street yesterday.

:)

We'll see how today goes.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
But in other news, the big author event this weekend is going great!
Congrats!

I was planning to give you an update on my experiments--clicking on other books to see if they popped up as ads too--and to conclude that the Telomeric ad was no more, but now it's back. Yesterday. Twice. The first ad was the same format as the original. The second was part of a larger Amazon ad, with multiple products.

I clicked on your other books as well, but no ads for them, so far. Also clicked on another self pubbed author's books, but nothing. I clicked on a wolf book and got ads for wolf books, but not the one I actually looked at.

In conclusion, it's still weird...

Also curious, are you targeting your books at the Young Adult audience as well? If so, I remember there used to be review sites run by teenagers. (I'm totally out of touch with what's happening in YA these days though, so not sure if they still exist.)

Edit: Today the multiple product ad had Telomeric and Aerovoyant, so not just a new release thing. It also had an ad for a hammock which I accidentally clicked on when trying to enlarge the Aerovoyant ad, so I'm now expecting a hammock ad avalanche. Oh dear. (It was actually a nice hammock, but I still don't want to buy one.)

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Holly!

I'm actually not sure how to target specific groups. Tips? I ran ads for about a month and decided they served mostly to line the pockets of the Amazon overlords. I tweet sometimes and that sort of thing, which moves a few copies, and I could probably specify YA although strictly speaking the second one is not YA by industry standards. But I'm certain YA audiences would be fine with it.

The prequel is YA, I think, and targeting it as such is probably a good idea. But I'm not running ads. I might try facebook ads in 2022 and see what they do. At the moment my 2022 is planned out through May with about four or five different promotions, and I hope to see what each one delivers. Some are free of charge and some are very pricey.

But as far as targeting YA vs A, that's always been a mystery to me in terms of the definition as well as the means to target. :) I'm an egg.

Patty

Reactions: Holly Green

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually not sure how to target specific groups. Tips?
Erm...I'm not the best person to offer tips. I didn't do any marketing for my books. I've been thinking I may have to start a, "What not to do," thread at some stage. Some--unproven--ideas/suggestions though...

One thing I noticed recently is that Amazon now has a special category called, "Children's Recycling & Green Living Books." It appears to be mostly books for younger children. I can't tell if there are young adult books in there as the pages aren't mobile friendly.

If there are some, you could try putting one of your books in there for a week or so. (I haven't checked to see if there is a special category for young adult green books.)

There used to be a review site specifically for books that would appeal to children and YA readers with an interest in environmental/vegetarian issues, so it might be worth doing a search to see if any still exist. (Sorry, can't remember the name. Was many years ago too.)

I'd also look into YA eco focused organisations that do book reviews and have newsletters or magazines with advertising space.

Andromeda Spaceways publish sci-fi and fantasy. They're Australian but their mag is available internationally. I have no idea of their readership numbers wise, but they do reviews, (and their advertising rates are pretty cheap.) I'm assuming from their guidelines that their readership includes teenagers.

Also, reddit has some writer subs where people can mention their kindle publications, and some where you can post dates when your book is free.

No idea if any of these ideas would pan out though, just random speculation...:)

Last edited:
  • Love

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
They've got me thinking though. I woke up last night and recalled that I had reached out with some success to educators with my first book. Some educators want fiction titles that can reinforce scientific principles.

I should try that approach again, in a more thorough manner.

I also came across a reddit thread that described a huge number of free promotional websites for free books. Spent a few days organizing those links ... and then had the bright idea to curate them for the subset of sites that are free to promote a cheap book. I'm trying that with Aerovoyant from January 1-6. See how many extra copies I can move without spending a dime, which is something I've never really tried before.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
They've got me thinking though. I woke up last night and recalled that I had reached out with some success to educators with my first book. Some educators want fiction titles that can reinforce scientific principles.
Do you mean school libraries? I forgot to add that above.

Obviously, that has a downside--it gets your book in the hands of budding environmentalists, but they don't buy it. Given the number of high school libraries there must be in the USA though...if they all ordered a copy...

Just another guess though...I have no idea how the library book buying system works--if there's a centralised system that does all the purchasing vs authors having to contact them all individually.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I think networking with educators would psychologically offset any loss in sales. :) At least one fan tweeted to me that she asked her school to buy ten copies. :) Another fan bought a copy to donate to a local library. Good stuff! :)

And we need to overthrow capitalism if we hope to turn this climate ship around anyway.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
At least one fan tweeted to me that she asked her school to buy ten copies. :) Another fan bought a copy to donate to a local library. Good stuff! :)
Wow! That's priceless, isn't it!

And we need to overthrow capitalism if we hope to turn this climate ship around anyway.
Yeah, my inner cynic is not convinced there will be a planet left by then. :(

Last edited:
  • Hug

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Me again!

So I'm running a five-day 99c kindle countdown on Aerovoyant and this time around I'm only promoting through free methods (no newsletter spots.)

The sale started on Saturday, and I listed on five websites (For your reference, these sites are It's Write Now, Discount Book Man, AwesomeGang, Pretty Hot, and Reading Deals.) Saw two sales on Saturday, which is a small number but it is all in the black, and it is data. It went in the spreadsheet.

Today I'm posting far and wide, on SM and anywhere that occurs to me, including in this thread. Here's the info:

My first-in-series (environmental sci fi... climate (non)fiction inspired by my years at Caltech) is on sale for 99c through Wednesday. Ebook only. 🙂

Reviews are good. There's a sequel available, and I'll happily get thick in the weeds of climate science with anyone who'd like an author talk.

Feel free to share, and Happy New Year!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Just a super-quick super-heartfelt THANK YOU for the support here. :) <3 <3 <3

Today ends the 5 day kindle countdown (=sale) on Aerovoyant, and this is the first time I paid nothing, nada, zero, zilch on putting the sale in newsletters. I wanted to see how much the newsletters like Bargain Booksy really matter. I think they do help--last June I had 36 sales when I advertised that way.

So. On this go-round I saw 8 sales altogether--six on Aerovoyant and two on Telomeric (which was not on sale). This equals a bare pittance in royalties, but I'm not in this for the money.

My original goal was to reach at least four strangers with my work, to shift four people's sense of their relationship to Earth. (I picked four because that was the number of citations, at the time, on one of my best academic papers. Best does not equal most-cited... that number is closer to 1000. Best equals proudest.)

This year the goal is to reach the number of citations I got overall last year, on all academic papers. That number is 123. So my goal is 124 sales in 2022. :) (I'm at 8....)

Reactions: lizmonster