THE INDUSTRIAL AGE. Occasional data points on this thread.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My book is live!

I don't whether to :hooray::hooray::hooray: , :e2faint::e2faint::e2faint: , or maybe :e2dance:.

I hit 'Publish' on KDP on Saturday morning at 9 AM (after reading the proof in under 2 and half days--and I still missed a typo, a repeated that that but a friend caught it so all is good.) I also found a head-hop in the proof, boy did that surprise me at this late stage. All fixed up now.

If you want to see how the formatting and everything turned out on the 'look inside' feature, i.e. through the link to Amazon, it's here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081X4T51G/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

and the cover is:

HU6xlcI.png

Which I hope to put in my signature like some of you other folks have done.

(ETA:I hope that sig image is not too big. I'll double check Amergina's sticky.)

Whoo. What a long haul. I hope someone somewhere enjoys it. :) My next plans are to set up the Amazon and GoodReads author pages and figure out instagram.

Last edited:

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Patty. I'm thrilled for you :hooray:

The jacket looks great!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

I cannot WAIT to dig into a new project.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. I didn't realize how much DATA I was going to have at my disposal from this stage of the game.

It's like a cherry on top. :)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy book birthday, Patty!

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Patty! :hooray:That's a stunning cover - and your whole project has fascinated me from the beginning, so I wish you all the success!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Patty, your cover is absolutely sparkling! Looks beautiful. Happy book birthday and I wish you all the best success! Congratulations.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! It's wonderful to have a community like this where we can share and be supported. I feel loved. :)

So I've got thirty sales already--no real idea how many of those are from strangers, and how many from assorted friends who've been following the project, but I feel like this was a good few days. :)

In terms of promotion, my guest spot on Coast To Coast Science is live, and it covers a lot of my past science and how it ties into this novel.

I've got two book signings lined up at The Open Book.

The first one is in Valencia, California on December 14. The second in Thousand Oaks, California on January 11.

No idea how to spread the word about these, but I'm excited about them. :) I understand not many books move at signings, but who knows? Maybe I'll sell a couple.

Last edited:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
30 sales is awesome! Congrats!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
WHERE in Valencia? And Thousand Oaks? I'm in Burbank, would like to drop in and swell the numbers of your audience, and say Hello.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! It's wonderful to have a community like this where we can share and be supported. I feel loved.
:)

So I've got thirty sales already--no real idea how many of those are from strangers, and how many from assorted friends who've been following the project, but I feel like this was a good few days. :)

In terms of promotion, my guest spot on Coast To Coast Science is live, and it covers a lot of my past science and how it ties into this novel.

I've got two book signings lined up at The Open Book.

The first one is in Valencia, California on December 14. The second in Thousand Oaks, California on January 11.

No idea how to spread the word about these, but I'm excited about them. :) I understand not many books move at signings, but who knows? Maybe I'll sell a couple.

WOOOOOO Patty! Congrats on the podcast & book signing. Wish I had a car, do a signing that's Metro accessible and I'm there!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
:) There's a great idea! I'll see what's available down in LA.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
WHERE in Valencia? And Thousand Oaks? I'm in Burbank, would like to drop in and swell the numbers of your audience, and say Hello.

Oh, hey, that would be great! I think you're a JPL alum, yeah? I was at Caltech for a long time.

Anyway, the Open Book in Santa Clarita/Valencia, a lovely used bookstore off Via Princessa. http://www.theopenbook.biz That's on the 14th, and the second signing is in Thousand Oaks (at the mall) on January 11th.

I'm working out the formatting kerfuffle that found its way into the print copy (and my 50 author copies that I bought for the signings.) I'm hoping to have perfect copies by the fourteenth, and I keep refreshing my KDP page to see if anything has updated yet so I can order a few more.

If this doesn't happen in time to get new print copies, I will be sad. Either way I'll have the sub-perfect books on hand at a reduced price, and the amazon link to the more perfect version.

(ETA the formatting's all better, according to Amazon, and I've another ten author copies ordered to cover my butt.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Davy The First

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
...[My book signing is at] the Open Book in Santa Clarita/Valencia, a lovely used bookstore off Via Princessa. http://www.theopenbook.biz That's on the 14th, and the second signing is in Thousand Oaks (at the mall) on January 11th.

Great! I've put both signings on my calendar and will attend at least one barring emergencies. Might attend both to bulk up your audience. We writers have to support each other.

The Santa Clarita/Valencia Open Book(store) event this coming Saturday lasts from noon to 4. Look on the web site for the exact address, in the Canyon Country area.

I think you're a JPL alum, yeah? I was at Caltech for a long time.

JPL 11 years as a software engineer. Lived two blocks from CalTech & attended lectures & seminars. Then I was at Boeing for 14 years. Both places were Heaven for a sci-fi fan. Each morning I woke up literally feeling joy. Got to work with scientists, other engineers, pilots, astronauts as well as other interesting people.

Incidentally, the second book of my Space Orphan trilogy is set at JPL. That is, when events don't take place at a huge space station and in Luna City on the Moon.

Reactions: Elenitsa

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Each morning I woke up literally feeling joy. Got to work with scientists, other engineers, pilots, astronauts as well as other interesting people.

I am familiar with the feeling. :) My first experience with Caltech was auditing a course on Earth history organized and 'taught' (the idea is a little different there) by the snowball Earth guy, which is a pretty cool way to learn the evidence and history of us figuring that part of the story out, and then I ended up in a lab right below famed Pluto-killer, who is the nicest guy a person could hope to meet. I felt like the luckiest person on the planet for many years, both because of the people and also the opportunities to work on samples from all over the world.

Oxygen minimum zones are in the news today--because they are (of course) expanding as a result of (of course) climate change and (as we knew) nutrient runoff. I spent a good number of years investigating aspects of the OMZs off Costa Rica; profiling changes in microbial populations and how that correlates to geochemistry, that kind of stuff. The middle of the OMZ (in a vertical profile) can often have methane enrichment--figuring out the bacteria eating that methane drove me, for years.

I think my father in law might have been an engineer with Boeing, but I sometimes confuse the aeronautics industry names.

Incidentally, the second book of my Space Orphan trilogy is set at JPL. That is, when events don't take place at a huge space station and in Luna City on the Moon.

It's such a beautiful campus.

Your books are on my list of 'to buy'--bring a copy of the best one to start with, if you have some on hand, and I'll purchase it. And THANK YOU for coming to one (or both!) of the events.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elenitsa

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Thank you Daniel. :)

I hope your writing is going well.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
:heart: :heart:

Thank you. Another is in the works at Gatsby's in Long Beach, and The Tattered Cover in Denver even said they'd stock a copy if I sent it on over. :)

Need to get on Ingram Spark first, but still, I'm sort of jazzed about that.

:heart: :heart:

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Patty.

I'm sure you'll be as charismatic and eloquent as you are here :hooray: