Just making sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnugglePuggle

Banned
Reaction score
This is a line from one of my books in my current series: "If you don't mind me asking," I said, "what...origin are you from?"

And my Microsoft Word keeps wanting me to change it to "what origin is you from?"

And I'm like...what? Why? Did I forget a grammar rule or something? Lol cause the English major in me wants to crawl at the sight of "is you from," haha.

I've tried saying it aloud and it doesn't seem to fit really. Ack I don't know LOL. What do you think?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, asking what "origin" one comes from isn't exactly standard usage.

I'm assuming that your narrator is asking someone else where they come from. Unless "origin" in this context is some specialty language of your series' world, I'd suggest the more standard construction of Where are you from? or, if you're bent on using the word, What's your origin?

SnugglePuggle

Banned
Reaction score
Well, asking what "origin" one comes from isn't exactly standard usage.

I'm assuming that your narrator is asking someone else where they come from. Unless "origin" in this context is some specialty language of your series' world, I'd suggest the more standard construction of Where are you from? or, if you're bent on using the word, What's your origin?

Ah those are good suggestions. Yes, my narrator is asking her mother-in-law where she is from (half Navajo). I like the origin word for some reason, so maybe I'll switch it to What's your origin?. Thank you :)

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Usually the first word within quotations is capitalized - if it's a complete sentence.

"If you don't mind me asking," I said, "what...origin are you from?"

Beyond that, the second statement feels awkward to me, I'd prefer:
"If you don't mind me asking," I said, "What's your origin?"

SnugglePuggle

Banned
Reaction score
Usually the first word within quotations is capitalized - if it's a complete sentence.

Beyond that, the second statement feels awkward to me, I'd prefer:
"If you don't mind me asking," I said, "What's your origin?"

Actually, if it's one sentence, no, the second part is not capitalized. If they are two sentences, then yes. Example- pulling out a book my Grandma gave me from a yard sale- but haven't gotten around to reading- "Speakin' of books," Emma said to his wife, "are you doin' a new one?" So second part doesn't need to be.

If example a sentence is like- “Wait, how did you…create him?” Riley frowned. “You said you made him as the first vampire.” then yes, capitalize the second part. Also, pronouns such as "I" and the lot.

Now you know :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This is a line from one of my books in my current series: "If you don't mind me asking," I said, "what...origin are you from?"

And my Microsoft Word keeps wanting me to change it to "what origin is you from?"

This is incorrect. The grammar checker is probably trying for the singular form of "to be" because "origin" is a singular word, but "are" refers to the person, not "origin" in this sentence.

And I'm like...what? Why? Did I forget a grammar rule or something? Lol cause the English major in me wants to crawl at the sight of "is you from," haha.

I've tried saying it aloud and it doesn't seem to fit really. Ack I don't know LOL. What do you think?

It may be flagging this, because "what origin are you from" is an unusual way of asking someone where they are from, instead of simply saying "Where are you from" or "What country are you from" or something like that. But if it's the way that character would express it, it hardly matters what your grammar checker thinks.

Grammar checkers are designed to create "standard issue" writing for reports etc., not designed to reflect colloquial usage or individual mannerisms and quirks. Fiction generally incorporates colloquialisms and individual quirks and mannerisms (called voice), which is why writers of fiction generally take feedback from grammar checkers with generous helpings of salt--especially with regards to speech inside quotes or narratives that are meant to be "in voice."

Trust your instincts. This is the sort of thing beta readers and human editors are better equipped to weigh in on.

Last edited:

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak for the Navajo, but among Indigenous Australians, asking "where are you from" is how this question would be phrased. The town/state/general area you answer with would dictate what tribe/people you belong to--a typical answer from an Indigenous person would probably include where your parents are from, too.

Do Indigenous Americans have a similar way of sussing out a person's "origin"?

Klope3

Registered
Reaction score
If the character speaking isn't fluent in English, this might be a realistic way for them to speak. But you would need to write their dialogue in broken English for the rest of the story in order to be consistent. Also, try to still keep it comprehensible, for the reader's sake, and don't make it into a caricature, unless the character is meant to be funny.

Of course, people of some political persuasions may be offended by poking fun at a foreigner's broken English. But pretty much anything can be deemed offensive by someone, can't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.