Wedding Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
I am looking for grooms, brides, newlyweds, clerics, wedding coordinators, and other wedding professionals willing to share their wedding experiences for my new book If a Tux Could Talk: The Men Who Help Plan Their Weddings, and the Women Who Love Them For It.

ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
Tim R. DuMont is currently preparing for his wedding to the gifted and beautiful Amanda Lillis. Tim's mother, author and speaker Louise Bergmann DuMont, has been happily married to Tim's father (John DuMont) for over 30 years. Together this mother-son team hope to share both the fun and the folly of wedding planning with brides and grooms in the midst of their nuptial preparations.

ABOUT THE BOOK:
Today's groom is not afraid to order quiche tartlets for his reception or display a daisy boutonniere on his tux. Since most couples are footing more than a third of their wedding costs, grooms are participating in the decision-making more than ever before. If a Tux Could Talk: The Men Who Help Plan Their Weddings, and the Women Who Love Them For It is not simply another how-to manual. It reflects the changing role of a groom with both candor and comedy while it addresses the spiritual issue of leadership and offers specific ways for a couple to value the talents and strengths of each partner.

A MESSAGE FROM LOUISE:
My son and I are looking for grooms, brides, newlyweds, clerics, wedding coordinators, and other wedding professionals willing to share their experiences. If you or someone you know would be interested in participating in this project, they can contact us as – [email protected].”

A Groom's Questionnaire is posted on my website: www.louisedumont.com

:e2Order:We are especially looking for:

1) chuckle-until-your-face-hurts anecdotes
2) ‘uniquely his’ wedding ideas
3) romantic groom stories
4) unusual family, ethnic or religious traditions that were incorporated into a wedding
5) individuals who birthed new traditions out of desire or necesity
6) spiritual lessons learned as a result of wedding preparations and
7) and any wedding related event that was extraordinary, distinctive or atypical

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I suggest heading to one of the wedding-related boards (Frugal Bride, Wedding Bells, etc.) and posting there. You'll probably a number of responses.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
illiterwrite said:
I suggest heading to one of the wedding-related boards (Frugal Bride, Wedding Bells, etc.) and posting there. You'll probably a number of responses.
I tried all of the boards you suggested and a few others. Each and every board deleted my message -- they considered it spam. I explained that I was not selling a product or a service. I was only seeking information. Still got bumped. I wrote each administrator individually and told them that I could have joined the board under an assumed name, pretended that I was a "bride" and just used the info I got from asking fake questions. Individuals could respond to my questions or simply ignored them if they did not want to particpate. I chose not to do this for moral reasons. I was honest and told everyone what I was doing. I told the administrators that I wanted everything to be on the up-and-up. And that I appreciated what their boards did and hoped that they would reconsider my post. You wouldn't believe the responses I got. I was told that I was "self-serving" and that an author gathering information on a board was "awful". I was also called a few names that I won't mention here. I never expected such a response. Go figure.

I do belong to a number of online groups that are helping. I also put out press releases, sent out requests to a number of large churches and have connections with florists, photographers, bridal consultants and two wedding designers. So far it seems to be working. :) Do pass this along to anyone you know who might be interested.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a groom currently involved in planning an inter-ethnic, inter-faith, international wedding.

At the moment, there's more pain in the planning than amusing antecdotes. I might have something to look back at and laugh in 6 months or so....

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Thanks for offering to share your experience. I am looking for the excellent... and the ugly. Your experience may help some unsuspecting groom to avoid similar problems. You'll find my Groom's Survey on my website (www.louisedumont.com). Please email your answers to [email protected]. I would also like to hear any anecdotal info that you care to share as well. Thanks again.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
ldumont999 said:
I tried all of the boards you suggested and a few others. Each and every board deleted my message -- they considered it spam. I explained that I was not selling a product or a service. I was only seeking information. Still got bumped. I wrote each administrator individually and told them that I could have joined the board under an assumed name, pretended that I was a "bride" and just used the info I got from asking fake questions. Individuals could respond to my questions or simply ignored them if they did not want to particpate. I chose not to do this for moral reasons. I was honest and told everyone what I was doing. I told the administrators that I wanted everything to be on the up-and-up. And that I appreciated what their boards did and hoped that they would reconsider my post. You wouldn't believe the responses I got. I was told that I was "self-serving" and that an author gathering information on a board was "awful". I was also called a few names that I won't mention here. I never expected such a response. Go figure.

I do belong to a number of online groups that are helping. I also put out press releases, sent out requests to a number of large churches and have connections with florists, photographers, bridal consultants and two wedding designers. So far it seems to be working. :) Do pass this along to anyone you know who might be interested.

Well, well. I'll post your ad on my board and see if you get any bites. :) Good luck!

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant a board in which I participate, not moderate. But there are around 1000 women on there -- most of them married within the last 5 years.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Thanks!

:e2flowers I've already received a number of replies to my survey request. Thanks to all of you! So MANY interesting stories out there!

I will be traveling for the next week (doing a bit of vendor and location research for the book). I should be back by 7/15. But anyone who hans't submitted a survey and wants to can still do so! I'll simply pick it up when I get back.

May God especially bless each and every one of you in your new relationships.

crystalkennedy

I see you have a groom survey. But what about the brides? After all, without us, they wouldn't be grooms, now would they? If you post a bride survey, I'll answer your questions. I was just married on April 17, 2006. Seems like it's been YEARS, and I don't mean that kindly... But we'll see what happens.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Bride Survey

Hum... You aren't the first to ask where my "brides survey" is. Although the book will be written from a male (groom's) perspective, I've gathered a LOT of information from brides, their moms and wedding professionals who deal mostly with brides. Each bit of information added value and perspective to the story.
:flag:So... I surrender. I will have a Brides Survey up on the website before Monday morning. Hope you and many others will go to my website and fill it out - www.louisedumont.com

Nuoddo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.minddribbles.com
Wedding Experience

Hello,

I've sent an e-mail per your posting. I have stood up in 11 weddings, the 10th being my own. Several years ago, I also became an ordained minister online so that I could perform a ceremony for friends. That was an interesting experience!

If you'd like some stories, feel free to send me a PM....

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Thanks Again

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the great response to my request for wedding stories. I flew up to Michigan last week for a number of interviews and I have four phone interviews from the west coast this week. Last night I attended (with my future d-i-l) a Bridal Expo here in NJ. The research for this project certainly has been "interesting" . Men all around the country are getting VERY involved in their weddings and they are truly making the day THEIR day, not just hers. I am almost done with the research phase of my book but - keep those stories coming anyway. Anything really good will get in during the rewrites - and I do a lot of those :e2shrug:

I am hoping to hear from my agent this week. She just got back from the ICRC (International Christian Retailers Show). Praying that she connected with just the right publisher for this project.

I spent last weekend typing up my notes and putting together my spreadsheet of information. Now its time to get to the writing. :e2BIC:

Status
Not open for further replies.