Hello From England!

CJEvermore

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon/evening all! My name is Cory, and I'm from the UK! I'm a teacher, radio presenter and aspiring author, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys. I've always had a passion for writing, and have had a few short stories and essays published here and there. I recently turned 30, and I feel it's the right time to give the writerly side of me a big push. I have several short stories that I'm working through, and I'm gathering up the courage to properly attempt my first novel. This Forum looks like the perfect place to discuss ideas and tips, and give me the inspirational boost that I need!

A few other useless facts about me.... I'm a lifelong Doctor Who fan, a metalhead and a horror lover. Definitely a cat person, total tea addict and a believer in pineapple on pizza.
Favourite authors include Douglas Adams, Stephen King, Edgar Allen Poe, Poppy Z. Brite, James Herbert, Richard Laymon, Roald Dahl and Clive Barker.

I'm looking forward to this :)

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello (also from the US)! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat. Also a teacher. I teach primary school. What do you teach? I used to be a Whovian, but I kind of stopped watching during the Capaldi years. David Tennant is my favorite modern doctor and Patrick Troughton is my favorite classic doctor (though William Hartnell is iconic). Who's your favorite?

This is a great place. I've thoroughly enjoyed my (short) time here and obtained some very useful advice. I wish you the same. See you around! :)

CJEvermore

Registered
Reaction score
Hello (also from the US)! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat. Also a teacher. I teach primary school. What do you teach? I used to be a Whovian, but I kind of stopped watching during the Capaldi years. David Tennant is my favorite modern doctor and Patrick Troughton is my favorite classic doctor (though William Hartnell is iconic). Who's your favorite?

This is a great place. I've thoroughly enjoyed my (short) time here and obtained some very useful advice. I wish you the same. See you around! :)

Hello all! Lovely to meet you!

Kat - that is awesome. I initially wanted to be a primary teacher but this job came along...and I love it! I'm training to be an English teacher, but in the mean-time I'm a cover supervisor. That is basically like a supply teacher, but based in one school. It's a sometimes stressful job, but loads of fun and massively rewarding :)

I do genuinely love all of the Doctors, but Tom Baker was my first, via VHS, and has a huge place in my heart. I have a very big soft spot for Hartnell as well, alongside Colin Baker and Peter Davison. New Doctor-wise, I must say Capaldi is my favourite. He just brought something to the role that I love, particularly the classic element. I would love to meet him someday. I've met all of the surviving classic Doctors :)

This is a lovely forum full of very friendly people. You guys are already inspiring me :)

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great place!
When you get to the point you might want to post your own work, remember everyone is friendly but honest ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Welcome, CJ! You and my wife have a lot in common...cat lover, Stephen King fan, and Doctor Who fan. I wish you the best both in your endeavors and in obtaining advice and support here. I hope as someone from England, you like the Welsh okay, as I am proud of my Welsh background and like to write with a Welsh-American MC :)

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Ah, but the burning question is: which Doctor Who do you love? I mean, David Tennant is probably the most intense and had an uncanny ability to show so easily how intelligent Doctor Who is, but, well, he doesn't have Tom Baker's scarf!

And hell yes to loving King, Herbert etc. Shaun Hutson is another great UK horror author, and loves Iron Maiden too as he writes! Always a plus.

Welcome to AW... from a Staffordshire lass... :welcome:

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! :welcome: It's good to see another UK person here.
I found it really helped me to do a few short stories first to learn how to self-edit and cut out the fat before trying to writer a publishable novel. I guess that worked for me so I really hope it does for you too! What sort of novel are you wanting to write?

Big Doctor Who and horror fan here too :)

CJEvermore

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, CJ! You and my wife have a lot in common...cat lover, Stephen King fan, and Doctor Who fan. I wish you the best both in your endeavors and in obtaining advice and support here. I hope as someone from England, you like the Welsh okay, as I am proud of my Welsh background and like to write with a Welsh-American MC :)

Haha, excellent! Your wife clearly has great taste. And I have no problems with the Welsh at all! I've visited Wales many a time and thoroughly enjoyed myself :)

CJEvermore

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but the burning question is: which Doctor Who do you love? I mean, David Tennant is probably the most intense and had an uncanny ability to show so easily how intelligent Doctor Who is, but, well, he doesn't have Tom Baker's scarf!

And hell yes to loving King, Herbert etc. Shaun Hutson is another great UK horror author, and loves Iron Maiden too as he writes! Always a plus.

Welcome to AW... from a Staffordshire lass... :welcome:

The one I love would always be Tom, as he was my first, and the definitive Doctor. But genuinely...I find them all to be wonderful!

I'm a MASSIVE Shaun Hutson fan. He is one of the most gruesome horror writers out there. Slugs is a classic and I recently finished Breeding Ground. :)

CJEvermore

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! :welcome: It's good to see another UK person here.
I found it really helped me to do a few short stories first to learn how to self-edit and cut out the fat before trying to writer a publishable novel. I guess that worked for me so I really hope it does for you too! What sort of novel are you wanting to write?

Big Doctor Who and horror fan here too :)

Awesome! Yes, I am taking the 'Stephen King' approach. Working on short stories, trying to hone my skills and get some stuff out there before moving on to something bigger. It's going to be a challenge but it's one I'm looking forward to!

I have several novel ideas, all just skeletons at the moment. A few characters, a few basic ideas but nothing really solid. I do feel that I'm going to be someone who lets the characters and situations drive the story, rather than worry to much about a plot. That might change.

I also have a novella idea too which has been milling around my head for a fair while.

Most of them are horrors, but I've also been scribbling down notes regarding a comedic fantasy as well :)