Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
:partyguy: :snoopy: :partyguy: Lord, 10 years. :partyguy: :snoopy::partyguy:

It's gone so bloody quickly at times, but at others, it's been painfully slow. Nothing to do with AW, just me and getting to grips with the whole publishing process itself, with AW occasionally (okay... not-so-occasionally) thumbing back at the stickies with a "Yep... you know if you'd just read the bloody things, you wouldn't be swimming in idiot land over there, Pykey...."

Aspiring author... published author... ugh... it doesn't do everything that comes between those two titles any justice: all the screw-ups, the learn-as-you-go, rushing in, not taking your time to look and listen to your peers, insecurities with writing, with deciding if to submit, running away when you do submit... how all that bad does a boxing match with the good that then comes: finishing that first draft, getting that first acceptance, first edits with an editor, seeing cover-art, proofs, first publication... getting your first fan mail... right back into the bad with those new insecurities, doubts, relationships with publishers degrading over contracts, learning how to deal with legalities of rights reversals.... rinse, repeat, rinse repeat.

In all, it's a continuous bungee jump, where you're naked -- with rope that has a twisted sense of humour as it makes damn sure you're held all arms and legs out wide for that next perfect author meme on how not to be caught out as an author.

But with everything that's come, AW taught me a very valuable lesson, though, and it's one I slink away lovingly with each time:

Don't be a dick.

It's sooooooo durable: 1st reply to a thread -- don't be a dick, 2nd reply to a thread -- don't be a dick, 1st response to a critique on your work -- don't be a dick, I'm not keen on religious writing -- okay, don't be a dick. I'm into politics -- okay, just don't be a dick, 1st no-response from a publisher -- okay, don't be a dick in your chasing email, 1st negative review -- don't be a dick and reply, it's not there for you, 1st breakdown with publisher over a contract -- get a lawyer, don't try and be a dick.... I think -- oh, yeah? So does every other reader, author, editor, or publisher that's come before you, so don't be a dick over whatever it is you're thinking there, okay?

I hate the lesson, I really do, because sometimes things happen that I know I have every right to be a dick over, and I want to really be a dick because, well, certain said people are being dicks, and being a dick back really is the only way to settle dickish battles.

So I subscribe to AW instead, mostly because I know where authors thrive here, dicks don't. That professional stance is worth paying for and feeding. :) I've met some really gorgeous friends I'm... keeping in my basement for life because of the good relationships between authors, no matter their genres.

So I just wanted to say it's been a hectic ten years, with a lot of grief, but AW'a always offered a good friend and peer zone to come back to.

Here's to another ten years!
ps.. No dicks were harmed in the making of this post, even if they were mentioned... a lot. :ROFL:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers, Fallen.

I'm still trying not to be a dick, and still failing miserably. Glad to know there's hope at the end of the tunnel.:snoopy:

Doesn't seem anything like ten years since you joined. Where does the time go? :Hug2: