HBO's "His Dark Materials"

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Disclaimer 1: Mild spoilers contained, for both the HBO series and the novel it is based on.

Disclaimer 2: I've read and thoroughly enjoyed Phillip Pullman's trilogy of the same name. I've re-read the first book, "The Golden Compass", multiple times. I was interested when I heard that HBO would adapt the series to a mini-series format -- I think that books like Pullman's, with a richly-imagined world, often feel flat when compressed to a 90-120 minute film.

So, I was hoping that HBO's effort would be better than the 2007 film adaptation, "The Golden Compass", which I did find flat and frankly boring.

And, I was excited to read that HBO had cast Dafne Keen as the book's central protagonist, Lyra. I thought Ms. Keen was the best part of 2017's "Logan" -- which to be clear, I very much enjoyed.

Finally, I'm very aware that adapting a novel for film or television is going to require changes, sometimes because the visual medium makes it possible to take short-cuts that prose can't. And sometimes it's just necessary to trim narrative tendrils that, while interesting, don't really serve to advance the central plot in a way that most viewers care about. (I'm looking at you, LotR's Tom Bombadil!)

All that leading to me saying that while I had high hopes, and I try to set aside my anal tendencies to nit-pick an adaptation for every little change they've made to a favorite novel, I am, ultimately, finding myself disappointed in HBO's telling of the story.

I've watched three episodes of it now. I do think it's better, on balance, than the 2007 film, and I think that's due in large part to the time budget the TV series has. But if I had to distill what bothers me about this adaptation into a single word, I'd reach for "flat" again. The novel was often slowly paced, written lyrically, and wove a very rich world. Lyra's journey was allowed to unfold in the novel at a pacing that worked, at least for me.

Particularly with her discovery of how to use the alethiometer, a sort of magical compass that points at "truth" -- in the novel, she spent long hours fiddling with it, until she began to grasp intuitively how to use it. This was a slow process, and though it was clear that she was gifted with respect to the device, her learning to use it was through effort and practice, and we saw how she began to understand how to ask questions of it.

Whereas, in last night's third episode, we see Lyra learn to use it essentially in a single go, because she urgently wanted to. It was a "Use the force, Lyra!" moment that turned the novel's deliberate pacing into something more akin to a super-hero moment. Peter Parker gets bit by radioactive spider, bam! Bruce Banner gets irradiated by gamma rays, bam! Lyra wants to know what happened to her friends, bam!

While I understand why HBO decided to hit fast forward on this, it's ultimately an example of the TV adaptation feeling flat and forced to me.

HBO has made other changes that I can understand the rationale for, but don't think really improve upon the novel. For example, I'm reasonably certain that in the novel, no one was seen to be traveling between Lyra's world and others in the multiverse it is part of until the very end. HBO shows, very early in the series, one of Lyra's antagonists traveling to what is clearly our modern London, to enlist the help of a hacker to gain information about someone he suspects has also been traveling between the two worlds. While bringing this forward in the narrative isn't a fatal issue for me, it's a curious choice -- it not only doesn't really help the main plot (Lyra and the Gyptians helping her trying to discover what's being done to kidnapped children), but it also lessens the dramatic impact of the novel's end, wherein Lord Asriel is seen to travel to another world. Once again, I feel like it's a sort of general flattening of the novel's narrative.

Finally, I'm surprised to find that I don't enjoy Dafne Keen's portrayal of Lyra as much as I'd hoped. Not sure if this is because I keep superimposing her character in "Logan" onto this, or if her performance just feels a bit... "Going to eleven" at times?

In another adaptation of a favorite literary series of mine, "Lord of the Rings", the films made changes that I thought ultimately helped to slim down and focus the narrative (hasta la vista, Tom Bombadil!), but also made some that I thought were dumb and unhelpful. Making the dwarf Gimli the butt of jokes, for example, was pointless and unnecessary. For me, most of HBO's changes feel like that -- "No good reason" -- than for improving upon the source material. And that's a shame, because the source was just fine.

Last edited:

ALShades

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't watched the third episode yet, so my thoughts my change. So far I've liked it though. It might help that I haven't read the books in 15 or so years, and they were never my favorites. Fun, but not great, IMO. The show does a good job from what I remember, but also has held my interest on its own merits.

I skipped your part about the compass thingy in episode 3 for spoiler reasons, but I'm guessing they aren't going to finesse that part very well. That will definitely detract from the show, but I don't think it will kill it for me.

Overall, there's a lack of quality SF/Fantasy shows, and I'm very much enjoying this one now.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe I'm done with it now. They've managed to make it boring.

I think the biggest problem for me is how they've decided to spread the story among more viewpoints than the book did. The book was primarily Lyra's POV, and other points of view largely existed to bolster hers. Because the writers of the series decided to have more and more significant POVs, they've had to either create new material for them whole-cloth (which new material is IMO not grade A), or pull forward plot-points to hand to these POVs, to make them seem more significant to the overall advancement of the story. The latter device winds up stealing thunder from subsequent reveals.

What this is doing, for me anyway, is a kind of dynamic-range crushing of the plot. It's flatter, and both less surprising and enjoyable than the novel was for me. Pity.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I believe I'm done with it now. They've managed to make it boring.

I am forced - reluctantly - to agree. Most of the acting is terrific (although I agree that Dafne Keen's Lyra seems to lack a bit of the mischief of the character), the sets and scenes are great (I have spent a lot of time messing around on boats in and around Oxford, so a lot of the barge scenes are very close to my heart).

I did wonder whether, having read the trilogy twice, seen the movie, and seen it adapted for stage at London's South Bank Theatre (brilliant), it is because I know the source too well, or whether it is because I am currently reading The Secret Commonwealth which makes it all feel a bit "been there, done that", but I am not enjoying it as much as I had hoped.

Maybe it's just because there is so much in the book that isn't said? I have always found the written word more powerful. Movies are great fun, but books come alive in the imagination.

Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read "La Belle Sauvage" and found it a bit bloated. Felt more like a setup for the rest of the trilogy than a good book in its own right? Decided to wait for reviews of "The Secret Commonwealth". Based on many, opted not to read it. Are you enjoying it?

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
"Are you enjoying it?" -- I am about halfway in and enjoying it more than La Belle Sauvage which did - as you say - feel like a bit of a set up. Pullman seems to be exploring the characters more in the Secret Commonwealth but still not enjoying as much as I did the dark materials trilogy. It feels a bit as if the story has already been told - like when I watch a movie and think that was brilliant, then two comes out... and three... and four... and it feels as if I am just being taken for pennies.

The dust series seems to lack the substance of the materials; perhaps, as I said earlier, it is also because we are entering realms which I know a lot about - boats, the Thames, Oxford, floods... I think in the Secret Commonwealth the author is blending the worlds too closely - one example being a "Royal Mail" depot near the station - I don't remember any royalty in th earlier books so why would it be called the royal mail? And if we're going to use "our world" things like that, then maybe get away from whimsy like "anbaric lamps" and "smokeleaf". He refers to the engines on the barges (and the very British/our world "narrow boats"), yet a launch is "an engine boat".

Shame really because I rate the dark materials amongst my all time favourite reads. Mind you there are some great reads which don't bear re-reading and some ordinary stories that can be read time and time again (I cite PG Wodehouse...)

Reactions: Introversion