No one is buying my novel

Maggie2005

Registered
Reaction score
It's a romance novel...
I didn't want any of my family members or friends to buy the book, cause they'd be giving me five stars reviews and I only want honest opinions but so far I have nothing...
it's .99 and still no one is clicking to buy.
It's edited and the cover is awesome too, so why do you think no one would risk it a little ?
What should I do???

Please advise....

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I feel your pain.

The problem is that there are thousands of other books out there with awesome covers priced at .99, and their authors are all wondering the same thing. Amazon is cheerfully making it so that only authors who pay a fair chunk of money to advertise with them to get any visibility on the site. Discoverability is the #1 issue self-publishing authors face; there are huge FB groups dedicated to discussing the issue. I wish I had some advice for you; I can say that it's not worth your while to do any advertising until you have more than one book out. And maybe you need to recruit those enthusiastic friends and family members as a street team to start getting the word out.

Good luck. It's tough out there.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've learned a fair amount from this group and the Facebook groups Marissa mentions.

I don't know the answer but I think hoping people who don't know you will find it and read it probably won't work.

Some people use other publishing models to build a fanbase, like watt-pad or a dozen other of those types of approaches. Radish is one, I forget all of them but a friend of mine sorted through a dozen ways to release a chapter a week for the community in order to build a fanbase. That might be a good way to go. Actually, the son of a friend of mine did a similar thing on his website, writing my little pony fan stories, one per week come rain or shine, and had like a million followers from it.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
You have to get the word out somehow. Romance has a lot of review blogs, so you have a better chance with that than some other genres. If you're active on social media, people will follow the links (active means you're a real person who talks about stuff and doesn't constantly spam people with adverts).

That will get a few early sales. It won't mean a lot most likely, but you might get a few reviews.

People can't buy the book if they don't end up on the page for the book. They won't just happen across it. You have to point them there (and then hope they point other people there).

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
A few thoughts...

First, ditto to everything the others have said. You are competing against millions of other books for visibility and having only one book out is especially tough. Are you in Kindle Unlimited? That's a super popular reading method for romance.

If you're not yet in Kindle Unlimited, you could do an ARC through Booksprout and get some reviews going that way but don't do these two things at the same time as being in KU requires you to be exclusive to them as far as ebooks.

Without being able to click on your book and see what's going on, it's hard to give you more specific feedback. Maybe have someone who isn't a friend or family member check out your blurb, cover and opening pages to see if that could be the issue. Do you have a beta or critique partner you could ask?

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And why put your book at .99 cents? I read a good article that you should never under value your work, and people who are given the book for cheap or free are more apt to give bad reviews, not sure how that correlates to KU since that model is based on per page. Even here in your post you should put a link to your book, you are missing out by at least not giving us at AW a chance to see it.
Congrats on publishing, be proud of that!

AuthorSamantha

Registered
Reaction score
Are you open to paying for advertising? There are plenty of websites (ranging from cheap to expensive) that will promote your book through newsletters. You can get a lot of eyes on your book this way.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
You can check out the author’s individual threads here that talk in detail about how they are progressing. You can find some ideas there. I would echo the idea of not putting your book out for 99 cents. You will get next to nothing as a royalty if you price it under $2.99. If you enroll in KU, you can then discount it to free or 99 cents for short times. You can start a website, a newsletter, join Goodreads review groups to get some reviews going (though beware - you can get some low ratings there that might not reflect what regular readers may think). Or pay $20 a month to Voracious Readers Only and give away books and get some good reviews. Story Origin allows you to give away a short story or an excerpt for potential reviews. Promote on Facebook groups. At least some of these avenues will get something going. But it is hard. I’ve been given the advice over and over to write more books.

I had to get some AW Admin help with putting my book in my signature. I just couldn’t figure it out on my own.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest linking to it to get some feedback on the blurb, cover, look-inside. Before you start marketing you want that to be polished and fine-tuned.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
What have you done to promote? If nothing then it's no surprise it didn't sell. You can't expect a book to be found if you don't lead people to it. You need visibility.

Also, did you get any critiques on your book before publishing it? You say it has an awesome cover. Maybe so but that could be your opinion. It could really be that awesome but not fit the romance you are trying to sell. Covers can't just be pretty, they have to fit the genre AND category. There are a million different categories of romance. Some overlap with expectations and some don't. If you are writing a bully romance then your cover can't be what someone would expect on a normal, everyday mainstream romance. If your book is contemporary romance you shouldn't have a cover that says "women's fiction" when people look at it.

I suggest you get some eyes on your book and cover. Also, make sure that Look Inside on Amazon is tempting enough to get someone to buy.

Gone are the days when just sticking something up for 0.99 is all you need to sell. There are millions of books on Amazon and MANY of them are 99 cents. You gotta do
more than that to stand out, which means some darn good advertising. Either pay to market or find creative ways to market for free but you have to do something.

If you posted the link then we could give feedback as well.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
And why put your book at .99 cents? I read a good article that you should never under value your work, and people who are given the book for cheap or free are more apt to give bad reviews, not sure how that correlates to KU since that model is based on per page. Even here in your post you should put a link to your book, you are missing out by at least not giving us at AW a chance to see it.
Congrats on publishing, be proud of that!

Yeah, I wondered about the 99 cent thing too but I had a feeling that she feels it would give her a better chance as a new author but you definitely don't have to put out a book that low even if you are a newbie. Don't fall for the okie doke.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I feel your pain.

The problem is that there are thousands of other books out there with awesome covers priced at .99, and their authors are all wondering the same thing. Amazon is cheerfully making it so that only authors who pay a fair chunk of money to advertise with them to get any visibility on the site. Discoverability is the #1 issue self-publishing authors face; there are huge FB groups dedicated to discussing the issue. I wish I had some advice for you; I can say that it's not worth your while to do any advertising until you have more than one book out. And maybe you need to recruit those enthusiastic friends and family members as a street team to start getting the word out.

Good luck. It's tough out there.

With all due respect, I disagree that advertising would not be worth one's while with only one book out. I have published only one book so far, and when I did a Facebook advertisement for it, it got the attention of a NYC book club that read it and posted it on its website, which has gotten several hundred views. I won't know until January what the sales so far have been (so they may or may not be strong yet), but I got hundreds of potential readers from that one ad that I would not have otherwise gotten.

Maggie2005

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is I dont know how to promote it. I paid for a promotion and it only got me one sale. It's so depressing.
And about .99 ... if no one is buying with this low price...who would with higher...
And I'm offering free copies for romance readers but so far no one even replied with a No...nothing. I dont think my novel is so bad... but if it's allowed here I would give you the amazon link ...there's almost four chapters preview...

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Note that I'm writing here as a reader, not as someone who has tried self-publishing...

The thing is I dont know how to promote it. I paid for a promotion and it only got me one sale. It's so depressing.

What promotion? Where? With whom? I read in a book on self-employment once that, when starting a business, you should ask yourself how a stranger coming to town who wanted your goods or services would find you. If the answer involves a miracle, you're in trouble. If you read romance yourself (and I'm assuming you do), how do you find new titles to read? Are there blogs you trust with recommendations, or reviewers you like, or message boards/discussion groups on social media? Was the promotion you tried one that you yourself had responded to ever as a reader, or was it just a random shot-in-the-dark attempt?

I get a few of those daily discount e-mails (Bookbub, etc.), and I can tell you that a good, quick, hooky blurb is more likely to grab me than a long, meandering setup that requires me to click through before I even know what the book is about or why I should care about anyone in it. So consider how your book is presented in whatever promotion you're trying.

And about .99 ... if no one is buying with this low price...who would with higher...

There's a saying that, paraphrased, says that if you set a low value on yourself, don't expect the world to raise it for you. If you believe in this book, and believe it's solid, why throw it in the 99 cent bin? There are many, many romances in that bin... and, from personal reading experience, some of them would not be worth much more than that, and more than one I felt I overpaid on, to be blunt. A higher price gives the air of higher quality to the average reader. (And a higher price, offered at a temporary discount, gives a sense of urgency that might drive a few sales itself: I'm more likely to bite on a "maybe" title under those circumstances.)

And I'm offering free copies for romance readers but so far no one even replied with a No...nothing. I dont think my novel is so bad... but if it's allowed here I would give you the amazon link ...there's almost four chapters preview...

Where are you finding these romance readers, and how are you offering the freebies? Random spam often ends up deleted.

Incidentally, I came here looking to see if I could find a link to your book (expecting it, actually, if you wanted help with promoting), and I found nothing. Right there's a click you lost - and without a click, there's no sale potential.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score

You paid for ONE promotion and you felt that would be enough? Promotion is ongoing. You have to do many different things to get the word out. You don't just do one or two things and then stop. You say you don't know how to promote beyond the one promo? Learn. You have to learn and research. Google is your best friend in this industry. You can type in, "How to promote a romance book" and you will get millions of options within seconds. If you don't want to Google you can join FB groups with romance writers and pick their brain but it starts with research. Whenever I don't know anything I research on my own first and if I can't find the answer then I will ask others for help, etc. If you took a few minutes to just do a search about promoting a book I guarantee you'll find a well of knowledge within seconds.

I'll give you some ideas:

• Run ads. You can run Facebook ads, Amazon ads and Bookbub ads. It takes dedication and a learning curve for all. If you are just on Amazon then use AMS ads.
  • If you don't want to use ads then make sure you got some reviews to help spread the word. Contact reviewers (Google them or ask around in the writing groups or here on AW), use ARC services such as BookSprout which has a free plan. StoryOrigin is free and you can send out ARC copies and participate in group promos with other authors. BookFunnel is great for doing group promos and all kinds of things too.
  • Post the book on social media yourself but don't spam. Post here and there in groups where it's permitted. On Facebook you can do group takeovers. See a group you like that fits your genre or book, join it and see if they will let you do an author takeover. You can set up your own FB event. Start a street team (a group of people to help spread the word for you).

Above all else make sure you have a mailing list! That's your most important thing and build that puppy until you have thousands of subscribers. The more GENUINE fans on there the better.

Submit your book to romance promo sites that will advertise your books to their list for a fee.

Those are just a few examples of what you can do. :)

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Also, why in the heck are you offering free copies? If you are offering free copies then how do you expect to sell? You're showing no confidence in your book at all and if you don't feel it's worthy to buy then why would others? You can't take this stuff personally. I know it's hard and we all get depressed about sales, etc. from time to time but we have to remember that this is a BUSINESS and just because your book isn't selling doesn't mean you should dump on yourself. You need to get up, brush yourself off and learn how to market this book but first you really need to show someone (even if you don't want to post on the board) your book because you might just be on the wrong track with it and if you are trying to promote a book to an audience that doesn't fit their expectations then no amount of marketing will help.

This isn't the time to cry. This is the time to focus and get to business. Welcome to the world of self-publishing. :hi:

YES, it is allowed for you to link to the book. I am curious as I am sure others on the thread are. You keep saying the book is awesome, etc. but it might not be. Not saying that to be mean but most new writers cannot decipher issues with their own books. I'm talking about branding and everything. All that has to be on point like I pointed out about covers in my other response.

Showing us the product will only help you.

Last edited:

Maggie2005

Registered
Reaction score
I've already done lots of the things that's mentioned here but with no responses... like the blogs... they say there's a slim chance reviewing my novel
and then there's goodreads... that's where I contact the readers but for some reason no one ever replies back.
And promotion cost money! I have to think wisely about that.
And as I said I didn't want my family or friends to review my book, so I have no reviews, no sales so far.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
For a start, I think your branding is off, and possibly your genre. The cover and the opening setup read very much like erotica, not contemporary romance. Erotica can sell well, but if you're aiming at romance readers, you're missing your market.

You need 50 posts for prose crit, but I do suggest you post both your blurb and your opening to Share Your Work once you get there. Read and critique there in the meantime - critting others gives the community a chance to get to know you, and it can help you understand your own work better as well.

Good luck. Publishing is a long, slow road, but you've got great resources and amazing fellow writers here at AW.

Maggie2005

Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with the cover?
There's lots of romance novels out there with a shirtless guy on the cover!
I thought it was a must to be shirtless :D

- - - Updated - - -

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

- - - Updated - - -

The whole tone of the cover says "sex" not "romance." To me, at least.

And there's nothing wrong with erotica, to be clear! But for marketing you need to know where to target your efforts.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

It’s not the shirtlessness of your cover that suggests erotica to me. It’s the way her legs are wrapped around his waist, the way his arms are pulling her into him. “Fifteen seconds later, they’re having PIV sex”, is what that cover says to me.

I don’t read the romance genre, but I thought the point of it was the “chase”, with a happily ever after by the end? Your cover isn’t starting with a chase, it’s starting with implied sex. Hence, erotica.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I believe you can share the first two hundred words in the 'hook me in two words' before you have fifty posts. And reading/critiquing some share your work across genres or just in the Romance forum alone can be helpful.

Yesterday I shared some work at another in-person group and the was the third time this opening has gone through in-person critique. People are still finding issues in my writing on this piece. I still haven't shared it here, but am thinking about doing so next, after I get this latest batch of critiques (too passive, too repetitive) incorporated.

Take the plunge. Not in Share your work until you get 50 posts, but in the Romance forum's Hook me in 200 words.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
For a start, I think your branding is off, and possibly your genre. The cover and the opening setup read very much like erotica, not contemporary romance.

The blurb isn't helping very much either. I can't provide feedback on it because this isn't a crit forum, but I suggest reading blurbs for at least twenty bestselling contemporary romances and comparing them to yours.

I don't mind covers that show people having sex (or about to have sex), but if I see a cover like yours, it makes me think the story will be an erotic romance, so I'm expecting lots of sex. If the excerpt gives me the impression the sex scenes won't be well-written, that could be an issue as well.

ETA : I read the excerpt and I'm afraid there were several technical errors. Again, can't point them out here, but I didn't get the impression the story was edited and proofread. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
It's a romance novel...
I didn't want any of my family members or friends to buy the book, cause they'd be giving me five stars reviews and I only want honest opinions but so far I have nothing...
it's .99 and still no one is clicking to buy.
It's edited and the cover is awesome too, so why do you think no one would risk it a little ?
What should I do???

Please advise....

I noticed lots of ellipses in the blurb and one of my CPs has hammered at me to not use those to such an extent that I have a trigger response to them now. I see them in your post as well. You might want to look through your book and see if you use them more than what is normal or not.

ETA: I've previously googled (out of curiosity) how many books are self-published per year, and google said over one million. That's 2000 books every single day. That's why it's so important for us to make it as good as possible, if we want to move copies.

Last edited:

Maggie2005

Registered
Reaction score
What technical errors... ?
Dont just drop this and run...give me some hints...!