• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Will I ever love anything as much as my first idea?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I'm writing a 16-book short story collection series called The Barney and Mr. Thomas Series , but whenever I get another I idea that is interesting, I always end up comparing it to Barney and Mr. Thomas. I always ditch the new idea because it won't compare to Barney and Mr. Thomas.

I LOVE Barney and Mr. Thomas. The characters are real to me. They make me laugh, cry, smile, break down... No other idea has ever done this to me. I need them!

What I want to know is will I love anything like Barney and Mr. Thomas. Should I just give up on finding other ideas?

What are your words of wisdom? Have you ever been through this? Do you love all your ideas the same?

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if you feel this way because you're not done yet in your world? I find characters keep speaking to me as long as they have a story to tell, and then when they're done, kind of go quiet.

So maybe when Barney and Mr. Thomas have finished their short story collection, new characters will fill your head and you'll adore them just as much!

• Love
Reactions: Elenitsa

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I can't write something if I don't love it.

That said, I have three books out in an ongoing series. I have at least two more of those to write. I've written a standalone and have ideas for others, but the series is always there.

I think KBooks makes a good point: it's hard to move on when you're not finished. Write what makes you happy.

• Love

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I want to know is will I love anything like Barney and Mr. Thomas. Should I just give up on finding other ideas?

I've loved every story I've finished. I love them for different reasons. I can't rank them; "most loved" to "least loved". They're all different. Some have characters that resonated strongly with me, and I might revisit them. Some have plots that I thought worked well. Some of them percolated in my head for years before I tried writing them.

I don't believe we're born with a fixed allotment of ideas or characters in us. We learn, we live, things happen and spark new ideas or characters. Will you love new ideas as much as "Barney and Mr. Thomas"? I think a better question is, will you love any new ideas? I'd be really surprised if that's not a strong "yes". If you're passionate for the current work, you'll almost certainly be passionate for others in the future.

• Love

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
It doesn't have to be all or nothing. It's clear that your "Barney" stories/universe has gripped you in that wonderful embrace we all strive for. Make the most of it.

But is there any space in your creativity for other, lesser works? Could you use a pen name to write these other ideas? Could you become the writer who produces the "Barney" stories and a different writer who produces these other stories too? Write one group in the morning and the other in the evening? Or only on weekends?

I use three pen names since the stuff I writer is in three different genres. I sort of compartmentalize and just go with the flow.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Last night I remembered that I have had an old idea that I did love as much as Barney and Mr. Thomas and it makes me feel the same way Barney and Mr. Thomas does.

Thank you for all your words of wisdom everyone.

Reactions: Elenitsa and KBooks

SnugglePuggle

Banned
Reaction score
I feel you, @The Second Moon. I love my characters so much in my vampire series. It hurts to think I'll one day be done with them. But what keeps me going is the idea that maybe I can revisit them later, after my brain has a chance to rest before thinking up some new ideas :)

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I feel you, @The Second Moon. I love my characters so much in my vampire series. It hurts to think I'll one day be done with them. But what keeps me going is the idea that maybe I can revisit them later, after my brain has a chance to rest before thinking up some new ideas :)

:Hug2: That's all I can say, since I feel your pain. :Hug2: As I've mentioned before in a different thread, SnugglePuggle, I have sixteen books in the Barney and Mr. Thomas series, but I didn't think of them all in a day. It took me a year and a half to do that. In other words, I think your plan of giving your brain a chance to brew up more idea is brilliant.

Also, I realized that I'm not ready for the idea I loved as much as Barney and Mr. Thomas. It's a very deep YA and I'm not mature enough as a person or a writer for it yet, so I'll keep writing Barney and Mr. Thomas in the mean time.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Trust me. You will come up with other ideas which you'll love just as much. Enjoy the moment with your current characters :).

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My advice is: you don't have to love it as much as your first or more, you just have to love it in general.

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't even remember my first idea. Whatever you're working on right now is going to be the best idea ever, otherwise you wouldn't be writing it. Once you move on to something else, that will become the best thing you've ever worked on. It's how writing works.

ReadTread

Registered
Reaction score
I kind of doubt I'll love any other project or characters like my first ones. But then I remind myself, they're kind of still with me. It's nuts, but it's true. Like, their *story* ended, but I still get to think about their lives that happened after the events in the main story, or how they would react to things or what advice they'd give. Or what they're like as they get older, sort of in a "What would they be doing now?" kind of way. Knowing they're "still there" frees me up to branch out and play with new ideas, even if it's more of an intellectual exercise than a deeply felt on (at least at this point).

• Love

Pragmatic Idealist

Registered
Reaction score
Generally I love my idea all through the process of writing an essay or story then, a couple hours after I'm done, I begin to hate it with a burning passion.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Psst! This thread has been necroed, brought back from the dead. We try not to do that with threads that are not timeless, like posts on one's experience with a particular agent or publisher, how to punctuate dialogue, recipes for soup, or the career of your favorite musician.

See the fourth item in Ten Tips for Newbies. It's on the FAQs board, which we ask new arrivals to read. Many apparently skip it--do they fear it's legal mumbo-jumbo like Terms and Conditions? Because it isn't. It's tips for what will get you up to speed and fitting right in without making a single misstep.

Nobody's in trouble for necroing, but please try not to do it in the future.

Maryn, with yet another public service announcement