Query Letter Critique Feedback - YA SFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWard

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know there is a section for posting work and getting feedback/advice, but it seems to be down. I have been querying for a sci-fi post-gene editing novel I've been working on and not get much in terms of response/requests. I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice you have on my query letter and if you think that that is the problem or what.

Thanks,

Matt

Dear [Agent Name]:

I’m excited to present Cynetic Wolf, a 99,000 word YA sci-fi novel in a post-gene-editing world that’s Divergent meets Eragon and Red Rising. I believe this project may be a good fit due to your love of [insert information about their focus and past clients/work.]

What does it mean to be human in a post-gene-editing world where differences are more than skin deep? The story is a unique take on the hero’s journey, following Raek, a poor sixteen-year-old wolfish boy (i.e., possessing wolf-like traits and genes), and his status-quo upending struggle as the first mixed-breed human in history. Is he ready to go from boy to Mandela-esque leader to free his people from the immortal world government?

After the genetic experiments which created the half-human, half-animal hybrids in the first place, subsequent Bioplague and rise of the superhuman cyborgs, is humanity (whatever that entails at this point) ready to heal wounds that have long plagued the unequal society since interbreeding became impossible? Discovering hidden cybernetic powers and losing everyone he’s ever loved, Raek’s forced to run from the all-powerful police and decide whether or not to join the Resistance (whose leader murdered his mentor), all while battling the question of who and what he’s meant to be.
Raek’s whirlwind adventure is perfect for males, ages thirteen to thirty, and his story and character development is comparable to Eragon’s in the Inheritance series. From a marketing perspective, the book comps well with The Enhanced by T.C. Edge (if it had been traditionally published with real publicity), a more authoritarian Renegade by Marissa Meyer, or a more plot-driven, less info dump YA version of Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

I run Disruptors.FM, a futurist tech podcast (6-7k listeners/ep) where I interview world leaders in the fields of biotech, life extension, AI, space, robotics and more. With over 1.1M downloads to date (2.3M+ including my other podcasts) and as a top Medium blogger (posts garnering 275k readers) with an audience that values my insight on the tech trends and experience building and selling a 7-figure e-commerce business (in under a year), my marketing background and connections—with guys like Cory Doctorow, Joe Haldeman, Ramez Naam and Isaac Arthur and heavy hitters Seth Godin, Tim O'Reilly and Tim Draper—I’m willing to do whatever it takes, including interviews—been interviewed on 38 podcasts to date—and conferences to make this book a success.

Thank you for your consideration,

Matt Ward

--

[email protected]
Podcast: disruptors.fm
Personal site: mattward.io
Media appearances: mattward.io/media

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

It's not down, the section is password protected, furthermore you need to have 50 posts before you can put a query up for feedback. I'm sure one of the mods will come around to point in the right direction of the stickies that explain everything.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Matt! The right place to post a query for crit is the SYW forum, and you need 50 posts here on Absolute Write before you can post there. A great way to get to 50 posts and also improve your own query skills is by critiquing other people's queries, so I'd suggest popping on by SYW and giving feedback to the queries others have posted. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.