New pages starting consistently on ebooks on different views is this a page break issue?

firstofmany

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Just started the process of converting my book into kindle create on a mac and viewing it in tablet, phone and kindle views.

also downloaded smashwords style guide and cant see if once i process and use all that info that i can then import up to kindle as well or is smashwords non amazon

in kindle create the contents is all sorted and chapters all start naturally on a new fresh page on each view

within certain chapters i'd ideally like the structure of certain pages to remain the same in each view.

is this a naive viewpoint to have or achievable and if so how? if this what is meant as a inserting a "page break"

before i imported as a docx doc the pages were as i wanted them by way of just using return buttons so it could be a error on my part in the word docx that i need to improve on (i wouldnt claim to be a word or kindle create expert)

any pointers on the right way to achieve this ? i have tried identifying the text at the start of each page with many of the different "elements" within kindle create and none seem to create this outcome

sorry if this is a basic question

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Ebooks are innately made from reflowable text. They are read on devices as small as phones large as computers, users set the font and text size.

Typically you either live with them being reflowable, or you make them full fixed format (where each page is basically a picture)which greatly limits how many people can read them comfortably.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
within certain chapters i'd ideally like the structure of certain pages to remain the same in each view.

is this a naive viewpoint to have or achievable and if so how? if this what is meant as a inserting a "page break"

Using fixed images is going to really annoy some of your readers. What might be fine for you might be completely unreadable for someone else on a different device. Most people want to be able to adjust the text to the way they prefer to read it, not the way the author prefers to read it.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
You can insert page breaks anywhere using Word. From the Insert menu, choose Page Break. I haven’t done ebook conversion, though, so I don’t know how it translates. I just use page breaks between my chapters.

Side-note: One of the first ebooks I ever bought was the bestselling Chaos Walking, which has picture-like graphic elements (eg, handwritten text alternating with print to represent thoughts). The pages would barely load or were messed up, and I ended up replacing it with the (excellent) print book. I was attempting to read this ebook on a small early iPhone, which sure didn’t help.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I normally start new chapters after a page break in Word, and my chapters consistently start on a new "page" on my Kindle reader device. Whether that is due to the page break itself, or it is how the reader handles new chapters via the chapter text (Heading 1) style I don't know.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes you can use a page break to end a chapter. But using it within a chapter will cause a blank space before the break, of variable height, and confused readers.