Hello, this is me!

thegirllikeme

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Chante', and I am excited to be here.

I have been writing since I was probably 11 and had stories going around in my head ever since. However, I decided to pursue a nursing career (NO regrets) and so writing has been on the back burner for the last several years. The demands of pursuing my Doctorate in Nursing is not conducive to creativity. However, I recently had to take a leave of absence from work due to a surgery, giving me a lot more time, and decided to start writing. With NaNoWriMo, I pretty much didn't stop for two week and now have a drafted novel sitting on my computer that I'm not sure what to do with.

My current project is Young Adult science fiction, and science fiction/fantasy with modern twists have been where my brain has generally always been centered. I like to read (well, generally listen to audiobooks really) across the board: fiction, nonfiction (self-help or historical, generally). I have beta read in the past and routinely read for one of the writers on this forum. I fully expect and am devoted to the idea that, if I wan feedback, I need to give feedback.

When I'm not off work, I work as a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse (I care for really, really sick babies) and I have also been a pediatric nursing professor in areas such as oncology, cardiac, and etc. I will do this until I graduate in May and become a family nurse practitioner/return to teaching. I would never consider myself a perfect expert in all areas, but I am a good person to go to for medical questions. I'm not a neurosurgeon, but I can catch most medical areas on TV shows and books from a mile away. (For example, you do not SHOCK asystole - the flat line. You do epinephrine and chest compressions. Everyone, everywhere has gotten that wrong. Looking at you, Grey's Anatomy).

My hobbies are binge-watching Netflix, crocheting/knitting, and hopefully will return to running as soon as I'm released from PT.

I look forward to being apart of the community and supporting fellow writers!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, lookit me, getting here ahead of the crowd. I'm happy to meet you. Welcome!

Maryn, smoothing her hostess apron

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

thegirllikeme

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Maryn! Hello to you too!

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Thank you for taking the time to give me all the information. I am excited to be apart of the community.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

Hi, Chante'! :hi: WELCOME to AW!
This is a WONDERFUL community of encouraging and supportive writers of all walks and backgrounds. You'll enjoy it here! :hooray:

:)
~Danalynn

thegirllikeme

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Danalynn!

Welcome to AW! :welcome:
I'm with you on the shocking in medical dramas - especially when they rub the live paddles together beforehand and then press them straight onto the skin.

Ugh, code scenes are the worst. I remember watching one TV show that showed a code scene with CLOSED-LOOP COMMUNICATION. They assigned ROLES! They communicated. It was BEAUTIFUL! And then in the next scene the anesthesiologist wasn't wearing a mask in the OR. :rant:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in a medical field or anything, but by coincidence I follow a number of doctors on Twitter. They love discussing what makes them cringe on medical dramas. And praising what they get right, too. Apparently ER is available on Hulu and a number of them are watching it start to finish.

Maryn, happy to eavesdrop

kujo_jotaro

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! My GF is a nurse too and also loves knitting, as do loads of her colleagues. Is it a thing with nurses generally lol?

thegirllikeme

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I only know a handful of people who do it that I work with. But I actually taught myself after a patient's mother would sit at the bedside and sit and crochet for the seven months her son was in the hospital. It reminds me of them and that makes me happy. Also, I MUST do something with my hands at all times.