What NaNoWriMo is doing for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pencrafter

Registered
Reaction score
It isn’t giving me ideas, and it isn’t making me write. It doesn’t send me nag or scold emails if I miss my word count. It isn’t my mother and it doesn’t tell me to pick up my socks.

What NaNoWriMo (my first, 2019) is doing for me is to provide a construct within which to hit goals.

I’ve had several either 0 or very low (200) word count days. I’ve had many on-target word count days, and a few...several days on which I went far beyond. It helps me to keep myself on track by adding another piece, perhaps a good kind of pressure to git ‘er done.

And I’m not trying to rake the yard or do the laundry “git ‘er done,” but writing-a-story-that-other-people-can-read git ‘er done.

I don’t know whether the site enables people to set up a NoWri for just any old month, but I plan to set up a spread sheet which mimicks the same functionality, the daily word count, the target, the days-to-go.

I chose the most private, least sharing way to participate and I’m comfortable with that.

The biggest thing I’ve learned from the NaNoWriMo practice is that I am seeing for myself that it is entirely physically, cognitively and temporally possible for a person to rough-draft an entire novel-length story in 30 days.

For me, that’s a huge epiphany. I can actually DO it.

And, I am doing it!

Hope this helps and inspires others on the verge of making such a journey.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I don’t know whether the site enables people to set up a NoWri for just any old month

Before this year, it didn't but now it does! You just need to either announce a new project or add a new goal to an existing project and you can set the time frame and word count you want.

I'm so glad NaNo is helping you! It does different things for different people. It is nice how "hands off" it is. That comes from the attitude that any writing counts as a win, even if it's not 50k.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Before this year, it didn't but now it does! You just need to either announce a new project or add a new goal to an existing project and you can set the time frame and word count you want.

Good to know!

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Such a lovely thread! NaNoWriMo can be a massive challenge, and I've only won it once, but this discipline of writing every day is helping me so much.

LisaFromNYC

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest thing I’ve learned from the NaNoWriMo practice is that I am seeing for myself that it is entirely physically, cognitively and temporally possible for a person to rough-draft an entire novel-length story in 30 days.

For me, that’s a huge epiphany. I can actually DO it.

And, I am doing it!

Hope this helps and inspires others on the verge of making such a journey.
Nice. I feel the same way.

I enjoy NaNoWriMo. It helps me to focus on moving forward with my story, putting the words down. I edit later. But with NaNoWriMo, I've learned to use techniques such as sprints to get the story down so that I can shape it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.