In paranormal romance, does it matter who the paranormal creature is?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
So I think I've decided my next book will be a YA paranormal romance--or at least I think that's what it is. It's got romance and paranormal aspects. It's sort of Romeo and Juliet meet the Predator.

But I have a question. In Paranormal Romance, does the love-interest or MC have to be a paranormal creature? In my case, the two lovebirds are humans being hunted down by the paranormal creature who's trying to separate them.

ETA: Or should I just label it as paranormal?

Last edited:

SnugglePuggle

Banned
Reaction score
I think for the most part, PNR are about the love interests being paranormal. I think with yours, the book would be labeled probably paranormal.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I'm trying to think of a human-human romance where no one had any special abilities and it was classified as PNR. Usually at least one person in the couple is not an ordinary human (they might be a different species, or they might be human with paranormal abilities.)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Write the book you want to read and don't worry about labeling it. By the time you finish it may have morphed into something else.

At this point just call it YA urban fantasy and get on with the writing while the energy is hot.

Recall, if you will, that The Morganville Vampires series has a normal MC who falls for another normal while surviving in a town founded and designed by vampires. (Not a lot of street lamps!) The special ability of the heroine is she's a brainiac when it comes to theoretical physics.

https://rachelcaine.com/YA/morganville/

http://www.morganvilletheseries.com/

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Romeo and Juliet meet the Predator.

That is exactly how you should pitch it to agents and publishers! I love it!

There're whispers of paranormal romance making a comeback, but publishers are stuck finding fresh new ideas. If this is the story you want to tell, I don't see why you shouldn't write it.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I'll just label it paranormal with heavy romance elements.