• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Physics: Neutrinos Lead to Unexpected Discovery in Basic Math

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three physicists wanted to calculate how neutrinos change. They ended up discovering an unexpected relationship between some of the most ubiquitous objects in math.

Quanta Magazine said:
After breakfast one morning in August, the mathematician Terence Tao opened an email from three physicists he didn’t know. The trio explained that they’d stumbled across a simple formula that, if true, established an unexpected relationship between some of the most basic and important objects in linear algebra.

The formula “looked too good to be true,” said Tao, who is a professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, a Fields medalist, and one of the world’s leading mathematicians. “Something this short and simple — it should have been in textbooks already,” he said. “So my first thought was, no, this can’t be true.”

Then he thought about it some more.

The physicists — Stephen Parke of Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, Xining Zhang of the University of Chicago and Peter Denton of Brookhaven National Laboratory — had arrived at the mathematical identity about two months earlier while grappling with the strange behavior of particles called neutrinos.

They’d noticed that hard-to-compute terms called “eigenvectors,” describing, in this case, the ways that neutrinos propagate through matter, were equal to combinations of terms called “eigenvalues,” which are far easier to compute. Moreover, they realized that the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues — ubiquitous objects in math, physics and engineering that have been studied since the 18th century — seemed to hold more generally.

Although the physicists could hardly believe they’d discovered a new fact about such bedrock math, they couldn’t find the relationship in any books or papers. So they took a chance and contacted Tao, despite a note on his website warning against such entreaties.

“To our surprise, he replied in under two hours saying he’d never seen this before,” Parke said. Tao’s reply also included three independent proofs of the identity.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I wish they could explain it in English. :tongue

I'm good at math to a point, then it changes into Greek.

In my defense, I did say terse. I fear I may have misjudged what others might find "clearly written". The subject matter is one I was fortunate to have been taught in high school. (This is one of the reasons that mathematicians-full disclosure, I am not one-find this result so surprising.) It is the case, however, that any high school math teacher would cover many blackboards in presenting the material that the authors telegraph in a few short lines. Even so, it is, in the end, nothing worse than eigenvectors, eigenvalues, and expansion of a determinant in terms of minors.

Many find the laconic style in mathematical writings needlessly gnomic. It does, however, bring with it the occasional elegance or even flash of wit. Many years ago an anonymous author published a pastiche titled "A Mathematical Theory of Big Game Hunting" in which he parodied the various schools of mathematical writing. The best example for present purposes was the proof in the style of Dirac (predictor of antimatter, inventor of magnetic monopoles), who was as laconic as they come, personally as well as professionally:

"It is observed that there are no wild lions in the Sahara. The capture of a tame lion is left as an exercise for the reader."

I hope that clarifies matters.

Last edited: