Could everybody please excuse my lack of capitals

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And my general punctuational misses atm? After three weeks of having to belt my monitor to get it working, I was persuaded by some bossy young people to take it up for repairs while it was still under warranty. So now I’m stuck with an iPad and I refuse to learn how to work it because I’m old and there have been bushfires and I’m old. And I don’t want to have to unlearn it in two weeks when my laptop comes back. So - no.

Please and thank you.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, but only for a couple more weeks. ;)

You're doing better than me*, I barely accomplish sending text messages on my phone.

*I don't care if that's supposed to be 'I'. :tongue

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, but only for a couple more weeks. ;)

You're doing better than me*, I barely accomplish sending text messages on my phone.

*I don't care if that's supposed to be 'I'. :tongue
I love you.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Wut r capetuls n punkchewashun?

/silliness

I got a keyboard for my iPad, which helped with the switching between Win and Mac. But for two weeks? Not worth the investment, IMO. Although, you might like the iPad after using it some.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a young fogey. I refuse to use tablets. Still think they're a silly fad that will be over any day now.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I just switched from Apple to Samsung PURELY because the Galaxy S10 still has a headphone port.

- - - Updated - - -

(Also, all the latest iPhones are a design dog's breakfast.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
When I first got an iPad back in 2010, I spend two stubborn weeks learning to type properly on the thing.

A few years later, they started tweaking the keyboard behavior with upgrades. At this point I can't count on it responding the same way after an upgrade is applied, which absolutely kills you if you're a touch-typist. So I don't type on it anymore.

But I wrote a whole novel on it back in the day.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
(Also, I kinda wonder at all the young children who have never experienced more than a nanosecond of boredom in their short lives, because every time they might get a chance to rest the synapses for a moment someone slaps a device down in front of them. Like, how do you learn to fill the moments between stimuli with wonder and wandering, when The Algorithm has been flooding them with procedurally generated Finger Family videos since before your brain grew sentient?)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use my iPad all the time but I hate hate HATE loathe typing on it. :tongue

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, I just pulled my iPad out for an update as I need it to teach a class next week in Alaska. It'd been a few months since I'd used it - there were about 48 hours worth of updates needed along with 2-3 restarts LOL

For those who are opposed to the iPad and typing though, consider a Brydge keyboard, Lisa and a few others turned me on to one a few years ago when I had asked about a Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad, and it's been a rock star...(save for the time I spilled tea on it and threw away another hundred or so bucks on the replacement)

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've considered a keyboard for the iPad, but frankly, I'm Olde School and don't even much care for the flat keyboards on laptops (like the one I'm using for work now) so I doubt a Bluetooth one for the iPad would make me want to type much on it?

Have been considering getting something like a Das keyboard, with clickety-clackety Olde School Cherry keys, for my iMac.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a young fogey. I refuse to use tablets. Still think they're a silly fad that will be over any day now.
On advice from my grandmother, I took a similar stand on switching from imperial measurements to the metric system in 1966. It’s a lonely hill now, but I’ll die defending it.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On advice from my grandmother, I took a similar stand on switching from imperial measurements to the metric system in 1966. It’s a lonely hill now, but I’ll die defending it.

An ounce of prevention, and all that.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
A lack of capitals? What are you now, one of these extreme anti-capitalists?

I'm not big on tablet typing (I have a Samsung Galaxy Nook), but I can do it in a pinch... better than typing on a phone, at least. (I can disable the autocorrect/autofill) feature on my tablet; can't seem to do that on my phone.)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
iPad? They're those little black triangular things pirates used to wear on their face to make them look fierce.:snoopy:

Is there such a thing as an iPod? :Shrug:

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
iPad? They're those little black triangular things pirates used to wear on their face to make them look fierce.:snoopy:

Is there such a thing as an iPod? :Shrug:

It’s the imperfect past tense of iPeed. Or something.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It’s the imperfect past tense of iPeed. Or something.

Gotcha. So 'I peered' must mean I peed red?

Wow! I'm learning new stuff from you youngsters all the time. :snoopy:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

I love my ipad for reading kindle and nook books and for checking the web when I am away from home and don't want to lug my laptop around. I sure hate typing anything on it, though. And my texts often include hilarious misspellings, thanks to my fat fingers and poor spatial memory (I've never been a 100% competent touch typist, even on a keyboard).

I have learned you're not supposed to put a period at the end of a text, though, because that makes it appear cross and abrupt.

I heard a thing on npr about young versus old people and text communications. They were interviewing this twenty something employee who sent his boss the presentation he'd finished, and the boss replied with a text that said, "Great. Thanks. Enjoy your weekend..."

This felt like a passive-aggressive criticism to the young person, who spent the whole weekend angsting out, trying to figure out what had been wrong with his presentation. He thought his boss was implying that he'd rushed the presentation in order to have the weekend off. The boss meant no such thing, however, and really did think it was great and had wanted the employee to have a nice weekend.

I'm old, but it cracked me up, because it reminded me of how I'd sometimes misinterpret my advisor's e-mails back when I was in grad school.

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loved it, Roxxsmom. One of the disadvantages of being able to give instant responses.

I have a desktop PC and have had one since the mid-nineties. Also have a basic PAYG mobile but nothing else by way of Ipads or tablets. No idea how some folk manage to zip off messages with these tiny keypads.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gotcha. So 'I peered' must mean I peed red?

Wow! I'm learning new stuff from you youngsters all the time. :snoopy:

Remember this thread the next time some Brit natters about "the peerage". Why they're so angry when urinating, nobody knows.