Don Jr, booed off stage by the hateful left in California

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except no, because we live in the most surreal, f*cked-up timeline imaginable, it was actually the alt-right that heckled him and his “dented trophy girlfriend” off the stage for Jr’s event about the launch of his book, “Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us”. (“Dented trophy girlfriend” pejorative cheerfully stolen from the Wonkette.)

The Guardian said:
The fiasco pointed to a factional rift on the Trump-supporting conservative right that has been growing rapidly in recent weeks, particularly among “zoomers” – student-age activists. On one side are one of the sponsors of Trump Jr’s book tour, Turning Point USA, a campus conservative group with a track record of bringing provocative rightwing speakers to liberal universities.

On the other side are far-right activists – often referred to as white supremacists and neo-Nazis, although many of them reject such labels – who believe in slamming the door on all immigrants, not just those who cross the border without documents, and who want an end to America’s military and diplomatic engagement with the wider world.

A number of the loudest voices at Sunday’s event were supporters of Nick Fuentes, a 21-year-old activist with a podcast called America First that has taken particular aim at Turning Point USA and its 25-year-old founder, Charlie Kirk. In a number of his own recent campus appearances, Kirk has faced questions accusing him of being more interested in supporting Israel than in putting America first. He has responded by calling his detractors conspiracists and racists.

So, that was amusing. Except, farking hell, man, how alt-right do you have to be to think that Tmurp and his hellspawn are too lefty? This Twitter thread by Matthew Sheffield gives a fair overview of what appears to’ve happened to poor Donnie Jr, and it suggests we ain’t seen nothing yet, in the way of open hate and recruiting efforts to try to add to the ranks of the new, out-loud & proud American Nazis.

This timeline sucks.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
But I thought they didn't allow free speech on campuses anymore?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I've read hints that there is an even more alt-right movement co-opting the tools that let the alt-right thrive, pushing themselves to the forefront now that the "establishment" right has effectively rolled over and submissively urinated all over themselves. The gates are down, and the monsters - and monsters of monsters - are storming the castle.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
which originated with a fringe group of America Firsters who believe the Trump administration has been taken captive by a cabal of internationalists, free-traders, and apologists for mass immigration.
That's hilarious, the deep state conspiracy theorists were attacked by the deeper state conspiracy theorists.

:roll:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And a little tiny part of my deeply suspicious soul is murmuring "Thank god for facial-recognition software. The next Nuremberg trials will be so much more effective."

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And a little tiny part of my deeply suspicious soul is murmuring "Thank god for facial-recognition software. The next Nuremberg trials will be so much more effective."

Not if the Nazis win this time. Sadly, I see no reason to believe they won't. This is an existential battle, and only one side is fighting like it. The billionaires (who own the media) are backing the Nazis this time, in multiple countries. I don't like our chances.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
When the shouting would not subside, Trump Jr tried – and failed – to argue that taking questions from the floor risked creating soundbites that leftwing social media posters would abuse and distort. Nobody was buying that.

When you can't lie to your own base no more...

-cb

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Not if the Nazis win this time. Sadly, I see no reason to believe they won't. This is an existential battle, and only one side is fighting like it. The billionaires (who own the media) are backing the Nazis this time, in multiple countries. I don't like our chances.

Oh, the nazis already won several enclaves around the world. They are currently running the US. The only thing saving those coutnries and the rest of the world from even worse consequences is that they are as bad at governing as they were in the 1940s.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another analysis of why Don Jr got trolled:

Why the Trolls Booed at Don Jr.’s Event

The Atlantic said:
That’s the context for Don Jr.’s Sunday appearance at UCLA, context that explains what a reporter from The Guardian witnessed while attending the event:

Turning Point USA, the organizing group, announced that Trump and his girlfriend, former Fox News Channel host Kimberly Guilfoyle, would not take questions after delivering their remarks. Audience members erupted in rage and began shouting “Q and A” even before the duo began speaking. Their chants began to drown out the speakers as Trump moved to conclude, visibly flustering him.

They’d put the event on their calendar, arrived early, and prepared questions to troll Kirk and his guests in a Q&A that was suddenly being denied to them. It isn’t clear if Don Jr. understood what was happening:

“We’re willing to listen,” he repeated as jeers and chants filled the room.

“You’re not making your parents proud by being rude and disruptive and discourteous!” Guilfoyle shouted over the din. Eventually the couple, accompanied by Turning Point founder Charlie Kirk, exited the stage to boos.

Rude. Discourteous. A disappointment to respectable people. Guilfoyle cast those young people in the same light many in the establishment cast all Trump voters. The irony would barely have been thicker if she’d called them Russian stooges. More attempts to troll conservative events from the right lie ahead.

“Youth-oriented conservative groups are likely to face continued heckling in the weeks and months to come,” The Bulwark noted Monday. “Fuentes fans have been compiling a list of upcoming conservative college speeches and have vowed to attend all of them.”

With what consequence? “We’re going to see a lot more restrictions where only students can ask a question,” Fuentes, the alt-right YouTuber, predicts. “You have to have a student ID. Only leftists can ask questions. Only Turning Point can ask questions … I’m sure that if you’re a white male, they’ll profile you. If you’re wearing a MAGA, hat they’ll profile you.” In his telling, “They’re literally campaigning for Trump, and they have to discriminate against his voters.”

Fuentes is trying to provoke and exploit a dynamic Kirk has used to great effect. Either his supporters will be heard or attempts will be made to shut them up, which is even better, because they can cast themselves as victims of a sanctimonious establishment––victims who’d prevail if only they could speak freely.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I was listening to the Fresh Air podcast today and they said some of this group have moved on to supporting Tulsi Gabbard. It’s a more complicated situation than it sounds, but it made me wonder why, though the podcast went over that too. It was a confusing episode, to be honest.