Australia, on fire

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
My work is closed tomorrow, as half of my coworkers live in the flame zone and no-one really wants to be slaving for the man when they're predicting the greatest, and most widespread, catastrophic fire risk day on record. Just don't mention climate change, or as the deputy prime minister of Australia puts it, the "ravings of some pure, enlightened and woke capital city greenies":
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...ate-change-and-bushfires-20191111-p539ap.html

Elsewhere, the Right's ramping up the narrative, Bolsonaro-style, that it's actually environmentalists and other progressives who have caused these fires. A totally supine media will allow this lie, and will let the actual culprits, who have systematically defunded our fire fighting resources while making sure that nothing will ever, ever be done about emissions reduction, get away scot free. Australia's systemic inability to respond to its now very immediate climate change crisis is just like America's inability to fix its gun crisis. Devastating, unfixable, self-inflicted, chosen.

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Australia's systemic inability to respond to its now very immediate climate change crisis is just like America's inability to fix its gun crisis.

Right down to politicians saying now isn't the time to talk about the cause of the problem and our 'leader' offering nothing but "thoughts and prayers."

Hope you stay safe up there, Alby.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, stay safe.

I would like to pretend it was any better here, politician-wise, but the only stay of execution we have here as that we don't get the level of wildfires. At least our politicians pay lip-service to the idea that something has to be done against climate-change, but they can't get past the idea that new taxes will solve everything and if they can't do that... well, there is nothing to be done. Nothing! *cue handwringing*

At least our minister for environment resigned after it became known she was all to ready to believe that the conservationist groups (she had to work with professionally) were all conspiring against her and were under investigation by state security and said so at meetings. She was wrong (duh), but it shows that if that's what you're really thinking of people your own mandate says you're supposed to work with (not against), it's no wonder your legislative work is going to be rotten and the barest minimal of environmental crimes are going to be prosecuted. You know, only the ones that make it in the paper.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Stay safe!

My work is closed tomorrow, as half of my coworkers live in the flame zone and no-one really wants to be slaving for the man when they're predicting the greatest, and most widespread, catastrophic fire risk day on record. Just don't mention climate change, or as the deputy prime minister of Australia puts it, the "ravings of some pure, enlightened and woke capital city greenies":
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...ate-change-and-bushfires-20191111-p539ap.html

Elsewhere, the Right's ramping up the narrative, Bolsonaro-style, that it's actually environmentalists and other progressives who have caused these fires. A totally supine media will allow this lie, and will let the actual culprits, who have systematically defunded our fire fighting resources while making sure that nothing will ever, ever be done about emissions reduction, get away scot free. Australia's systemic inability to respond to its now very immediate climate change crisis is just like America's inability to fix its gun crisis. Devastating, unfixable, self-inflicted, chosen.

And a mentality that's probably going to result in the extinction of our species. Homo sapiens sapiens. Died of wilful stupidity.

Basically "I'd rather see my country burn than admit that people I've decided are my enemy might be right about the reason why it's burning."

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all the way in Canada, and I wouldn't work for these smug, self-satisfied jerks either!
Good luck to you and your co-workers. Stay as safe as you can.

I will save my thoughts and pravers for shifting my many ailments to as many of your politicians as possible. Who wants the arthritis, and who wants the concussion?

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stay safe, darlings. I’m in fire zone 5 NSW but safely close to town. Still a local came in to check my prep and gave me the best advice. “Put your boots on now and lace them up and keep them on.things like unlaced boots are where accidents happen.” PS my prep passed muster so that was good.

PS: great job cutting the fire safety budget, Gladys. :(

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe Trump will send Oz a rake or two. :rant:

Australia and the US West have had many devastating fires. Some here have been attributed to putting out small fires, letting fuel accumulate and that has been addressed partially.

But now we have unprecedented drought and heat waves. Ignition sources abound. Here it's careless people, lightning and deteriorating power lines. The fires add their own wind and spread the fires like a hurricane. Whole towns burned down. Paradise wasn't just a small town in the woods. It was a city of more than 26,000 people. It was only 14 miles from a city of 92,000.

LA Times: How the Camp fire reshaped a town where nothing burned
As the flames advanced, an exodus of the displaced descended on Chico. Essentially overnight, the city’s population swelled from roughly 92,000 people to about 112,000. A city and its infrastructure would typically have decades to prepare for that kind of growth. Instead, it “occurred within 10 hours,"according to a city report.

That influx of people — many of whom were traumatized, grieving and without resources — has strained nearly every aspect of civic infrastructure.

It's hard to write about it without crying even though it was a year ago now.

Australia has had devastating fires in in the past with many deaths and thousands of homes lost. Now they are burning again. This time with more drought and more heat.

Only last March: Township ‘wiped off map’ as winemaker watches life’s work destroyed on live television
It was more of the same today, despite cooler temperatures. A fire is burning close to the town of Dargo, 350km east of Melbourne where a separate fire is threatening homes and businesses. Residents in Black Snake Creek, Cowa, Dargo, Hawkhurst, Miowera and Peter the Swede have been told it’s too late to leave and they must take shelter.

A staff member at the Dargo Hotel told the Herald Sun: “It’s like (the fire) is trying to surround us.”...

It's overwhelming. All of you stay safe, darn it and don't underestimate how fast those fires move.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
So sorry you guys are enduring this. I remember how bad it was here last year with workplaces and schools closed and with so many destroyed lives. It makes me sad to hear about it happening to you guys too. Fires have always been a fact of life in the dry zones of our respective countries, but it appears they will be getting more frequent and more catastrophic.

Stay safe.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My work is closed tomorrow, as half of my coworkers live in the flame zone ....
That's too close!

Stay safe, darlings. I’m in fire zone 5 NSW but safely close to town. Still a local came in to check my prep and gave me the best advice. “Put your boots on now and lace them up and keep them on.things like unlaced boots are where accidents happen.” ...
That's too close!

:cry:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
And a mentality that's probably going to result in the extinction of our species. Homo sapiens sapiens. Died of wilful stupidity.

Someone really ought to change our species name at this point... what's Latin for "arrogant, ignorant, planet-killing jerkwads"?

I read an article somewhere saying that Australia was essentially the test subject for how our civilization adapts (or fails to adapt) to a changing climate. From the looks of things, we can expect failure.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, please stay safe everyone.

“Put your boots on now and lace them up and keep them on things like unlaced boots are where accidents happen.”
For sure. Plus long sleeves and pants, pref cotton. I cringe when I see people on telly battling away in their singlets and shorts.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone really ought to change our species name at this point... what's Latin for "arrogant, ignorant, planet-killing jerkwads"?
Trumpus (plural Trumpi)

Sending good-karma and rain-dance thoughts to all y'all across the ditch.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I can't even imagine being that close to a wildfire. Stay as safe as you can. All the good thoughts and prayers headed your way.

(Possibly stupid American question, but if you live in a fire zone, do they not evacuate you?
Or are the fires so widespread that evac is ineffective? )

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Every year. Every year. What does it take for these yay-hoos to take action?

Albedo, mccardey, and everyone else in the danger zone, sending you all hope for safety and the least possible impact. :heart:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stay safe, darlings. I’m in fire zone 5 NSW but safely close to town. Still a local came in to check my prep and gave me the best advice. “Put your boots on now and lace them up and keep them on.things like unlaced boots are where accidents happen.” PS my prep passed muster so that was good.

PS: great job cutting the fire safety budget, Gladys. :(

Holy crap, stay safe, Mccardey!!! So worried for you, and so sorry for everyone else in Aussie.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes please, and do follow the reports -- I see the NSW RFS is putting out notices saying "if you are in XXX area, it is too late to leave. Seek shelter as the fire approaches." Gulp! I am crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes for everyone.

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Wow!!! This seems to be a recurring problem in Australia, unfortunately! I know a number of years ago, a large part of Canberra burnt down. I also remember that when I visited in January, 2003, parkland I saw in a few places was scorched--including along Sydney Harbor.

It's not even summer there yet. Anyway, I hope all AW members in the vicinity stay safe.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Wow!!! This seems to be a recurring problem in Australia, unfortunately! I know a number of years ago, a large part of Canberra burnt down. I also remember that when I visited in January, 2003, parkland I saw in a few places was scorched--including along Sydney Harbor.

It's not even summer there yet. Anyway, I hope all AW members in the vicinity stay safe.

Shoulder months are pretty bad as there is not enough energy in the water for their to be evaporation of large amounts of water alongside the land's albedo ensures that it warms up much faster than the water. When the pressure differs the most, at near and just after the solstices, does the rain come.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh god that was a long hot dusty awful day. The wind has dropped - or rather it’s moved north where it will probably cause more problems for other people, and thus far there have no fires in my zone. Tomorrow should be better. The fireys have done brilliant work in high 30 degree temperatures with horrible winds. The bad days are predicted to return before the weekend, but sufficient unto the day and all that.

i will spend the intervening time penning bitter missives to the state and federal political leadership.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
It got really brown here for a while, then cleared up. I did get up on the roof and clear the gutters out as well as I could, but in the end we were spared any real excitement.

mccardey, did you hear Barnaby Joyce's input into the debate today? Cos I'm not sure drunk, homewrecking, man-shaped mounds of sentient cowshit are able to read missives.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It got really brown here for a while, then cleared up. I did get up on the roof and clear the gutters out as well as I could, but in the end we were spared any real excitement.

mccardey, did you hear Barnaby Joyce's input into the debate today? Cos I'm not sure drunk, homewrecking, man-shaped mounds of sentient cowshit are able to read missives.
Oh Barnaby’s a gem. I don’t know how to link on my iPad ( my computer is in for repairs) but I was rather impressed by Nimbin Woman. Did you see her?

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Barnaby’s a gem.
A GENIUS! Because I mean OF COURSE it's the sun's magnetic field sucking fires into Australia. Stands to reason!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A GENIUS! Because I mean OF COURSE it's the sun's magnetic field sucking fires into Australia. Stands to reason!
Seriously?

Now I have to go look.

Not sure which article you were thinking of, mccardy, but here's a recent one and it's really bad:

Junkee: People Are Appalled By Barnaby Joyce’s Comments About Bushfire Victims
Conservative politicians like Gladys Berejiklian and Scott Morrison have been scrambling all week to silence talk of climate change by claiming discussion around the bushfires should not be “politicised”.

Now one of their own, Barnaby Joyce, has come out saying that two of the people who died in the recent NSW fires were likely to be Greens voters — while simultaneously blaming the party for the increasing number of bushfires.

Maybe they learned from the gun nuts here: claim this is not the time to talk about it.

But this is way more bizarre than our idiot Senator who threw a snowball in Congress and declared there was no global warming:

Brisbane Times: Barnaby Joyce says sun's magnetic fields cause bushfires. Science says...
Barnaby Joyce’s claim that changes to the sun’s magnetic fields were linked to the bushfires burning out of control across NSW have been rubbished by climate scientists.

The former deputy prime minister told Sky News he accepted that the climate crisis was making Australia hotter and drier. But the Nationals member for New England said other factors including changes to magnetic fields were also to blame.

"There are a range of things that affect the climate and on a global scale, you should be part of it, and acknowledge it would have an effect and I acknowledge that there are other issues as well," he said.

"There’s just the the oscillation of the seasons. There’s a change in the magnetic field of the sun."

Associate Professor Nerilie Abram, a climate researcher at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate Extremes, called his comments "ludicrous and grossly ill-informed".
Yikes!

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
The gaslighting by the right-wing media at the moment is Trump(or Putin)-level. It's horrifying to see so many people in rural areas blaming it on a party that holds one freaking seat.

Australian bushfires are horrifying. I was 100% surrounded in the Canberra firestorm in 2003. We stood on the top of our driveway and saw fire pouring into our valley from every direction. Waterbombing helicopters saved us and our house; the fire came to within two streets of us, and many people I know either lost homes or suffered badly in other ways. The internet crashed back then, and we had no idea what was happening. The only news we had was from the radio, and they mostly played a warning siren nonstop, which was eerie, apocalyptic stuff (especially as it was darker than midnight at 3pm in summer). And the national news didn't report that half our (capital) city was on fire until the next day ...

Where is this lie coming from that - because of the Greens - we no longer have backburning to prevent fires?! I live in the ACT, which is 70% bushland to 30% urban, and we have backburning here every few days. All these idiots falling for a bit of far-right propaganda … I know some people who live where they actually SEE the backburning every week, and they're still claiming it has been stopped - because the "newspapers" they read tell them so.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The gaslighting by the right-wing media at the moment is Trump(or Putin)-level. It's horrifying to see so many people in rural areas blaming it on a party that holds one freaking seat.

Australian bushfires are horrifying. I was 100% surrounded in the Canberra firestorm in 2003. We stood on the top of our driveway and saw fire pouring into our valley from every direction. Waterbombing helicopters saved us and our house; the fire came to within two streets of us, and many people I know either lost homes or suffered badly in other ways. The internet crashed back then, and we had no idea what was happening. The only news we had was from the radio, and they mostly played a warning siren nonstop, which was eerie, apocalyptic stuff (especially as it was darker than midnight at 3pm in summer). And the national news didn't report that half our (capital) city was on fire until the next day ...

Where is this lie coming from that - because of the Greens - we no longer have backburning to prevent fires?! I live in the ACT, which is 70% bushland to 30% urban, and we have backburning here every few days. All these idiots falling for a bit of far-right propaganda … I know some people who live where they actually SEE the backburning every week, and they're still claiming it has been stopped - because the "newspapers" they read tell them so.
I know. I’m going out on Friday with a dear dear friend and I know she’ll tell me the greens caused the fires because she’s heard it on the radio and I know I won’t demur too much because if I do she will let me rant because she’s tried to tell me not to listen to science radio before and how it’s all fake. So because we love each other we will stay well away from the topic and badly need a cup of tea when we get home. Or a lot of brandy.

god but I hate the current voices and the anti-science they spout.

Last edited: