ISBN/Barcode for FBA

Prominent Critic

Registered
Reaction score
I’m self publishing a “HowTo” book. 8 ½ by 11 spiral bound. I have my own imprint and will be selling it via FBA. I will be getting an ISBN and Bar Code from Bowker. I understand that for FBA Amazon requires a unique number – ASIN, but that an ISBN will serve the purpose.

Is this correct?

I also understand that the ISBN/Bar Code combo comes it two sizes. Does Amazon have any requirement that you use one size or the other? I would prefer to use the smaller size, but would hate to have a bunch of books printed that way only to find out that Amazon requires the larger one. Could someone please give me the definitely correct answer.

Thanks to all.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
As to question one, an ASIN is only applicable to Amazon KDP ebooks. If you are independently printing copies, you will need an ISBN but it sounds like you have that covered.

As to question two, I don't have the slightest idea but I doubt Amazon cares because they aren't printing them. I suggest you look at what other independent sellers are using by viewing their product pages and that would be your best answer.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a ten pack from bowker and have used three already--one for the print copy, one for the e copy, and one for... Um, I forget, but maybe Ingram Spark.

You select a button on Amazon for ISBN or supplied ASIN. If you pick ISBN you enter the number.

My cover artist placed the barcode. I've got no idea on that.