Wrong use of homophones

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The very first person to block me on the internet did so during a battle over whoa. This woah spelling is utter nonsense. Go ahead, everybody, block me.

Maryn, daring you

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I didn't catch my protagonist walking between "rose of chairs" 'til the galley proof. :rant:

I dunno ... throw in a typo and you've got Rose of Charis, exiled princess turned rebel leader out to reclaim her throne. Throw in a dragon and you've got a YA fantasy trilogy. Make the dragon a shapeshifter and you've got a paranormal romance novel. (I may write that one myself. :e2brows:)

I love it when I have typos. They can lead to some great ideas. Thanks, Chase!

My personal favorite hails from an actual published novel from back around the '80s. The indignant king proclaimed, "I will not allow them to set food in my city!" I'm pretty sure both he and the author meant to say "set foot," but I can't help feeling sorry for all those starving subjects...

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I meant to write, "A green beam shot out of the hat".

Instead I wrote...

"A green bean shot out of the hat."

I got a good chuckle out of that.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good one--real visual, too!

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Talking of homophones, years ago one of our children wrote a family email, and meant to say something about her being "special" (it was probably approaching her birthday), but instead wrote "spatial". Spellcheck let it go, and it's become a family joke.

Abbeysroadlesstaken

Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly the same but I wrote a violent ending to a recent story and had the MC throw a Molotov cocktail, I accidentally wrote Mazel tov cocktail. "Congratulations, you're dying!"

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
I meant to write, "A green beam shot out of the hat".

Instead I wrote...

"A green bean shot out of the hat."
That's funny. You had me chuckling over that one.

My son taught us how to play a new board game that is a more complex version of the game of Clue. While reading the directions to us he kept using the term "physic" which made no sense in the context of what he was explaining. I finally had him hand me the directions so I could read it. It was the word "psychic". Big difference!

My wife found a recent error in my manuscript. Wrote the word "alley" in place of "ally". Obviously spell check let it go.

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
my MC's best friend is named Hugo. When trying to type "Hugo" I accidentally typed to fast and got "Hugpoo". :roll: It's funny and I'm immature.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny, and I'm immature, too.

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
Someone asked for a critique over at one of the subreddits for writing, and he confused me when he was talking about the souls of his feet. It was a fantasy after all, so maybe his feet have separate souls? I had to ask if he meant soles.

He said he'd proofread that passage more times than he'd care to remember and never saw that mistake, which makes me a little paranoid about homophones in my own writing.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Someone asked for a critique over at one of the subreddits for writing, and he confused me when he was talking about the souls of his feet. It was a fantasy after all, so maybe his feet have separate souls? I had to ask if he meant soles.

He said he'd proofread that passage more times than he'd care to remember and never saw that mistake, which makes me a little paranoid about homophones in my own writing.

I read a book where some people's souls were in their feet (their soles). It was the 3rd book in the Miss Peregrine's Home trilogy. I thought it was clever.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Oh gosh. I just wrote "Dorknob" instead of "Doorknob". It's only one letter off, but it makes the word a million times more hilarious. Worse of all, it was in a high-intensity rescue mission scene. I'm so..dorky (pun intended) Heh. Dorknob. I crack myself up. :roll: