• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Your drug of choice?

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all!
I am settling into my writing and looking at the things I use to help me. I was wondering what other things people use to help them.

My #1 drug of choice: Music.
I've got a 90 song playlist that works through all the time while I write. It helps a ton with creativity and focus for me.

Coffee. Not caiffine specifically but coffee itself. I need a hot drink to slowly cool next to me while I work.

Then I mix up the occasional smoke with some pot when I need to calm my brain a bit.

How do you all write?

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
In the past, I drank. A lot. I still do but not as much. It's much harder to get into the zone without it but I can still manage.

Coffee for sure. Much more now that I do more writing in the morning than at night.

I think psychedelics every couple years really helps too, providing you're doing some deep thinking while tripping, not staring at pretty lights.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
We're alike in the music department. I have separate playlists for each WIP to not only get me in the groove for writing but to get me in the groove for writing that particular story.

I have set places and times to write. That helps both fit writing into a busy schedule and it forces me to be productive during those times. Unless I'm chasing rabbit trails down AW . . . :)

Walks/drives. If I've dedicated a day to writing, a walk in the middle of it keeps my creative juices flowing. If I'm really blocked, I'll take a "road trip" around my state, plugging in music that might inspire me, and just think things through.

Color coded journaling. I've just started this. When I'm brainstorming, stuck, faced with a problem, I journal it in a physical notebook with my favorite colored pens. The switch in medium + fun colored pens really seem to keep my thoughts moving.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, nothing? I mean, I sometimes drink coffee, tea, or Coke Zero, or eat carrot sticks while I write. Almost never play music, since I'm lucky enough to live where it's generally very quiet. (My old place was quiet. The new is damned near silent.)

But my writing doesn't require or benefit from any of those things. They're just what I'm doing while I'm also writing.

Of course I've tried writing under the influence. What seems pretty good then is never as good the next day. And I found it harder to write with a buzz than it was in my imagination--in which I'm younger, wearing decent clothes and makeup for no reason, and before a roaring fire which needs no tending.

Maryn, who writes clean copy in slovenly attire

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
For me, the thing that most helps me to write is...writing. And I don't mean that in some obnoxious "butt-in-chair" way! But if I'm stuck or not in the mood, the thing that gets the gears turning is to sit down and write, even knowing it'll be awful, even knowing I won't keep it. I'm like a crank engine, maybe - rusty and full of friction until my brain turns over, and then I can work more smoothly.

Also caffeine. :)

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
Scribbling notes on a napkin Liz? :)
That actually helps me quite a bit too.

Pot helps a ton with creativity, might also explain how incoherant I am sometimes :p

On the music thing: I saw a study that indicated IQ increases while listening to and shortly after listening to music. Not sure if it's true or not but it does seem to make my neurons fire a bit more cleanly. Might be worth listening to some music before writing even if you don't prefer it while writing.

I love hearing about everyone's different methods!

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My drug is thinking about attractive women...it's fun to build stories around them (as both of my novels do); they help with my creativity, and I like embedding them with qualities that I wish I could find in a real-life woman but never do.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I absolutely cannot write with music playing because I LISTEN to it and it takes my concentration away from my story.

Beyond that, coffee of course... lots of it. I drink at least a pot a day even when I'm not writing.
Peanut M&M's... love those things.

Of drugs in general - my parents were dealers to the Haight-Ashbury crowd back in the 60's, so I was around that stuff a lot as a little kid. Pot and Acid were my drugs of choice at a teenager and into my 20's. A lot of the bikers I hung around with were doing Crank... but that was never my thing. And of course the usual, beer and moonshine way back when. These days all that stuff has been left behind.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
1) Keep amply hydrated.
2) I use pocket-size, spiral notebooks. I bring these almost everywhere to jot down ideas.
3) I create custom Word and Excel documents to help organize the chaos I create from brainstorming.
4) Change of environment. I walk for exercise and do quite a bit each day. Changing venues helps me think differently, creatively speaking.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Caffeine, hands down. I've never been a coffee drinker, so I get mine through tea, loaded with sugar for the double whammy. Coca-Cola does it for me too, especially when paired with pizza or a cheesesteak for the carbs.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Walking is excellent. Gardening also.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I generally write in silence, although if it's noisy or I'm having trouble focusing, I'll work to a writing mix I put together. It's a variety of music - mostly instrumental, largely contemplative in nature - and sometimes just hearing the first song will get the juices flowing.

When I write in the evening, sometimes I'll have a glass of wine, but since I mostly write during the day, it's mug after mug of sweet, milky tea, or just water. I'm not a drug person; never have been.

If I'm really jammed up, a good walk will sometimes jar ideas loose. There'a a great botanical garden park near me; most people walk on the main paths looking at the plantings, but I like to get off the beaten track a bit. They have some woods trails, an experimental meadow where they're just letting nature take over, and a long rolling path around the backside of the park where almost no one goes. There are also plenty of benches so if inspiration strikes, I can sit down and scribble in the notebook I always carry.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
My drug is thinking about attractive women...it's fun to build stories around them (as both of my novels do); they help with my creativity, and I like embedding them with qualities that I wish I could find in a real-life woman but never do.

Charming objectification there dude.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I like listening to very quiet music I've heard a lot (so I'm used to all the sounds and they don't pull me out of my focus), but I also found listening to certain streamers playing video games actually helped me focus really well, which was a surprise.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, it's in large part due to me actually writing stuff in the genre, but my current "drug" is magical-girl anime. Feminine (and the occasional tomboy) protagonists kicking butt in pretty outfits, while coming closer together and growing as people in a cheerful, optimistic fashion? Yes yes yes. Gives me all the good happy vibes that make me a good happy writer.

(And it's doubled if there's lesbian vibes in it too. I've found myself wishing I could include some cute gayness in my current WiP, but cannot...yet. :3)

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
I specifically have to stay away from that kind of positivity in order to keep my writing suitaly moody :p

That's awesome Lily, I love those themes!

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
Or...you could look for those qualities in yourself and try to grow them. You might find that if the mirror you're holding up to yourself via women might reflect something you like if you have it within yourself already. Or possibly find more connective empathy.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet tea and chocolate milk. Perfect for the overweight diabetic who sits in a chair all day. :)

Jeff

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Hm.

Being in a good mood. If I'm in any kind of a funk, I really can't write. It just feels like a bridge too far, to make the effort to write. I know that if I do try to write in these moods, it'll be flat because I feel flat, and feeling that I'm writing flat, useless junk will only make me feel worse. Of course, knowing or thinking it's pointless to write doesn't help my mood much, either. On the other hand, if I can work through that and it turns out well, it can turn around a bad mood. But it doesn't always turn out well, and it's basically a big ol' catch-22.

But if I've had a good day, or I'm feeling optimistic, then I will cheerfully sit and write, and the cheerier I am the more relish I take in writing heavy, tragic shit. I was in a super good mood when I wrote a particularly sad death scene. It turned out well.

As others have said, a nice walk to clear the head helps tremendously. It gets the blood flowing and gives your brain a chance to break away from the thoughts you were having.

The only caffeine I have is a cup of green tea in the afternoon, or the occasional soda--never coffee--because I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine and value my sleep. I'm a social drinker, so I don't write under the influence of that, and actual drugs are not my thing, so that's a no. I would say chocolate, but that's just part of my regular, nutritiously-balanced diet, so....

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep.

I get enough sleep, I write well. I don't, I write crap that needs to be revised later on a day when I did get enough sleep, thus creating more work for me to do.

Best time to write, afternoon after a 1/2 hour nap and a cup of tea. But the nap's the important part.

Sorry to be so boring (but not very :D) but I had severe insomnia and was nursing a baby at the same time and now I just think sleep is such sweet nectar I can't wait to get to it in the evening. Truth.