A new day

Lirien

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, a new aspiring writer joining your ranks!

This will be a rather lengthy introductory post, so I hope not to bore you all to death.

TL;DR: I have decided to actively pursue writing.

I’ve been writing since childhood, never published, writing mostly for myself, to fulfill the need and feed my soul. Needless to mention, I’m also an avid reader. However, my writing process consisted of having sudden outbursts of creativity, writing frenetically, sporadically, and above all – rarely. My main themes were everyday events with a touch of horror, fantasy, until finally sliding into complete absurdity (I have a short story which is one sentence 1 page long, telling nothing and talking about everything; and another, being a single sentence telling a story in footnotes; the third having three genres in a same story where a victim wakes up being murdered by the reader...).

In one of my stories I killed my muse, so it seems that she really took offense and left me, for I have not written in some time now, and even though I talk about taking up writing as my dream job, somewhere along the road, I settled.

I work in managerial accounting, an interesting job that challenges me every day and fulfills my need to grow and learn. Currently, we’re on financial planning and budgeting, and in the past two weeks, producing spreadsheets, analyzing, arguing, debating, listening to “cut the expenses”, “growth”, “profit” etc got me wondering: is this who I am now? Is this what I want to do for the rest of my life? We all know what kind of expenses get cut, we know there’s no growth without investment, so basically I’m just punching in numbers in Excel tables which have no base in reality, looking at all those people walking around in suits, having meetings that should have been e-mails and this is not who I am – this is not who I want to be.

So, I’ve read somewhere that the dream you write down becomes a goal and a goal broken down to steps becomes a plan. Here’s my plan:

• I have given myself 6 months to try to actively (every day) do something related to writing – the first step is joining an on-line community – that’s why I’m here.
• Next, I need to read tips and tricks of the trade, blogs, pod-casts, anything – currently on Reedsy, because the “sudden outbursts of creativity” is not viable in the long run.
• I need to step out of my comfort zone (writing for myself) and do something totally opposite because this is the only way I can “force” myself into developing habits (creating characters, thinking of the plot, writing, writing, writing every day) – for this reason I have chosen romance because I – haven’t a romantic bone in my body and despise reading romance novels (this works well with my need for growth and challenge).

What do I hope to accomplish in these six months?

• Develop a daily writing routine
• Scribble, have up to 5 abandoned but somewhat developed drafts (ideas, notes, characters, anything...)
• Write something longer than my usual short story format, no matter how bad and forced

After those six months have passed, I will revisit my (potential) accomplishments and decid my next steps. I am not completely insane, I will not quit my day job (for now), I will not dream about getting published with my first novel, but I must do – something - .

Luckily, I have a great husband who supports me completely, who told me: “If you ever feel discouraged, think about the job you have now and ask yourself – do you want to be a corporate drone for the rest of your life?”, so perhaps, one day – who knows…

Thank you all for reading! I hope I will talk to you all on this forum!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: - Lirien - Cool Intro - Not boring at all, btw...

Yeah, don't quit your day job yet, because; well, ya know food, clothing and shelter... :)

See ya around. :hi:

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, congrats on your commitment to writing. You're post was really big so I'm just going to pick one thing to reply about.

You mentioned stepping out of your comfort zone, writing for someone besides yourself. I'm not sure how big of a city you live in but I'd check around for open mic storytelling events. A lot of pubs and coffee houses host these types of things and it's a really great way to learn how to shape a story and see it play out in front of a live audience. I've done a few where I live at it has really helped me think about my work in a different way.

Good luck, have fun, see you around!

Lirien

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, we do not have those, but the "shape a story and see it play out in front of a live audience" could perhaps be done in another setting? (f.e. at work when they're forcing team buildings or activities, this could be one of them? On the other hand, it's a rather small town and they do like such events, we have weaving workshops, mosaic workshops, street art festivals...)

Are there any general rules for this or just improv your way trough?

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
Well it's an ongoing series here. They have events once a month, each night has a theme. The storytellers share real life stories based on their experiences. Usually there's some workshopping done on whatever they end up presenting.

Basically writing a short story and telling it out loud, 10 minutes or so. Because it's told live there's much more pressure to have a clear, concise, well plotted arc. People get bored if you meander too much.

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
I think we have some kindred spirits here. You described my writing style perfectly. Spontaneous and sporadic :)

Very much look forward to reading some of your work!