My Ode to Sissyphus.

Orklad

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been writing steadily for the past 15 years or so, possibly a bit longer, but only recently have decided to try to share my work with the general world, which means (so far) querying with agents.

Sixteen rejection letters later, I'm asking what in the world I was thinking.

it's worse than sending out job applications after getting laid off (which I've also done).

So, yeah. The process is awful and fills me with despair and existential dread.

How're you?

-D

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
Sixteen rejection letters isn't really a lot in this business. I read somewhere that if you get 100 rejections, then it's time to consider that your work is not really that good. But I'm not sure that is fair. If a query letter doesn't do justice to a well written novel, the work is still good but the letter needs work.

Take heart. I just got another rejection letter yesterday for one of my stories. And I know I've had more than 16 rejections for some of my pieces, but I'm afraid to look in my log to do the math.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Highly suggest you meander your way to 50 posts (don't rush!) and then put your query up for crits over at Query Letter Hell. Just pause on sending them out until you get some feedback. It's rough, but it's super helpful.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! The first time you send out submissions are always the worst and I remember it well. It's hard not to take it personally sometimes but I assure you that 16 is not a lot in this game, and do bear in mind that it's not always a rejection based on quality: sometimes they will have already taken a vaguely similar thing recently, sometimes they are are overstocked on horror/fantasy/thrillers etc and are looking for something else. Perhaps they have see too many bee-keeping murder mysteries doing the rounds...there are so many reasons an agent might not bite even if you have a good book. All you can do is polish your book until it shines, have a good query letter and hope somebody loves it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
Keep on keeping on man. Anything in the arts is tough, music, acting, writing. Not sure which one is worse but the ones who succeed are often the ones who were too dumb to quit.

Keep going.

Stephen King talks about this a little in his book on writing. Sticking rejection letters on a nail in the wall till they wouldn't fit and having to put up a second one, or something like that.

Keep going.

kujo_jotaro

Registered
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how much of it depends on the query letter.

For a long time I submitted to agents, only to get the dreaded auto reject, and thought maybe my work sucked. I was convinced with my last one though that wasn't the case, even though again, after initially sending it out (and having worked through the query with professional editors), I was still only getting auto rejections. But after re-working the query on AQC I got some bites, and although I didn't get further interest, I was able to get some detailed info from agents on what they didn't like about my manuscript writing, which gave me food for thought for my next and helped me to improve (hopefully!).

So really, from my experience, work on making that query airtight!

bleacher1099

Dystopian, it's what's for dinner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yupireadthat.com
Don't despair! There will (unfortunately) be more rejections to come but all it takes is one request and...voila!