• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Pub svcs] Maximus Author Services

maximuscorporate

Registered
Reaction score
(also posted in 'rejection' forum, admin keep this one if duplicates not permitted)

I have been working as a freelance proofreader and editor for a few years now and have always just handed off the completed version of whatever I was editing back to the author or their publisher and that was it. Oftentimes, their books would never even make it to market or would fail due to mismanagement on the part of their publisher.

So, I have decided to now offer FREE, complete publishing services to anyone who has a book written but doesn't know how to get it out there properly. I literally just started doing this and, since I really need to get some published titles under my belt, I will publish any well-written book in digital and print completely for free. You just send me your book, I do everything (marketing, distribution, etc.), and then I send you a portion of all money made in whatever form works best for you.

If any of you are interested in helping launch this new service, please email me: [email protected] (feel free to email me too if you're just interested in general editing/proofreading services as well!).

I hope I can be of some help to anyone who has something written but doesn't know how to or doesn't want to deal with the publishing process!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This might be the wrong section, but that's up to a mod to have this post moved.

Second, there are just so many red flags going on here, I don't know where to begin. If you've only just hung out your shingle, you really needed to have two or three titles up and ready to go in order to attract potential readers and authors; as an author, I certainly wouldn't want to trust my manuscript to somebody who's only just starting out (been there, done that, got a certain amount of grief in the process). Also, you don't state any terms beyond "...then I send you a portion of all money made in whatever form works best for you", which is so incredibly vague, well, it can mean anything. Also, you also state you offer editing and proofreading services, as well. Offering all of this -- editing, proofreading, publishing -- under one umbrella smells off. So many companies have offered the same sort of services and have come up as scams, it can cause alarms to go off around here. Also, what sort of experience do you have in the publishing business? Yes, you state you've done freelance editing but what can you do in the publishing business I can't get elsewhere or do on my own? Finally, you trumpet that you're offering these services for free. Well, again, what can you do for me I can't do for myself? If I were to wait until after this free offer has expired, what terms would you offer then?

Not to mention this is your very first post and you haven't interacted with the rest of the community here beyond it, so yes, I feel like I've been spammed.

There are just too many unknowns in this equation, I doubt I can cover everything at this moment. I'm sure there will be somebody else along to ask further questions I've missed, so I'll just step back for now.

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just chiming in to say that what you're offering isn't free if you're taking any portion of the money earned.

Otherwise, seconding all of what BenPanced said.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

Went there:

Website Expired

This account has expired. If you are the site owner, click below to login.

NO thank you.

Proofing and copy-editing are different critters from publishing. Unless this college student gets a job with a real deal publisher, he doesn't know squat about what's involved in running such a business.

I've been in publishing since the late 80s and DO know squat about what's involved, which is why I do NOT have my own publishing business. I am fond of my soul and intend to KEEP it! :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you are doing all this for free, what are you living on? Maybe you're a rich eccentric, but publishing good-quality books is an expensive hobby.