What a friend said to me

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
My husband knows everything about my books inside and out, but he never read any of them. He doesn't have to, but reads me perfectly so I give him a pass on it. lol

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my husband has written anything I've written. He likes to read true crime (serial murderers, gangs, etc) and fantasy/horror/sci-fi, but I generally write Golden Age-type detective stories, with the occasional whatever-punk/magical-girl fantasy thrown in for when I'm in the mood. I think I once left him a book with my story bookmarked in it, and I think he might have read it, but he never said a word about what he thought, and I didn't pry if he wasn't going to say anything voluntarily.

Instead, I generally say something like, "I sold another story." And he's like, "High five!" And then I'll leave the check or the contributor's copies lying on the table for a few days when they arrive.

Yeah, that. I'd rather have the support than have someone forced to read something they don't like - as if it's homework! My brother asked if he should read my book or not - I warned him it probably wasn't his thing (but he bought it!). People in my family kept telling my father he had to read it now, and I told him not to. There's no point in him slogging his way through something he'd never read if I hadn't written it. It's better that he's happy I'm published than he feels like he owes me something ...

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
I've been writing seriously for 25 years so I've been through the spectrum - people not being interested at the start, all the way up to everyone I know being interested. I had over 200 people at my last local launch and sold 150 books.

The one person who never showed the slightest interest in my work was my father (who was an avid reader). He died around the time my second novel came out, which included the dedication: For my father, who would have really hated this book...

Nonicks

Banned
Reaction score
I recently was talking to a friend about my writing and I casually asked what they thought about my writing style. She said she bought all my books but admitted to not reading them. Her reason was, "the might suck". Of course that flippant remark hurt. She later admitted she chose her words poorly and finally told me she was afraid to read them because if she didn't like them, that I would not like her anymore.

I explained to her that her honest opinion was just that, but that she should at least give it a shot before passing judgement. Hopefully she'll give me her assessment soon. Whether she loves it or hates it, she's still my friend.

Anyone else have to deal with this problem?

Hi there! I think it's impossible to ask someone for their honest opinion and then say things like "that flippant remark hurt". You either want an honest opinion or not. And when you ask for someone's honest opinion, they might say they didn't like your story. Because you asked for it! :D