Time to upgrade MS Word? (I'm using 2011)

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently using MS Word 2011, and am happy with it, but...

I'm thinking about doing beta-swaps, and I'm worried I might not see things like headings and such under the navigation panel if I load docs from newer versions.

Are there format incompatibilities with newer versions? What if I submit my manuscript to an agent? (Could I run into an issue where they couldn't read it?)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Newer versions are fully backward-compatible with older versions. Publishers with the latest can read your manuscript saved in .doc form with ease.

I got Word 2016 in 2016 (go figure) and quickly came to hate it. It's clearly aimed at people in the business world, not writers, and is less useful to me than Libre Office or Open Office. It has a glitch, too, the last two lines on the page not displaying. Fun times! I do use it to run an additional spell check and grammar check, since I freakin' paid for it, but that's about all. I do all my writing on one of the free programs. I doubt I'll ever buy Word again.

Maryn, burned

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
Word is what I'm most familiar with (though I started out on WordStar, which still used HTML in the text), so it's what I use now, and I don't feel any need to change for the writing I do. Most of the time it's just dashing down words as fast as I can and then massaging and editing them later. I'll do some basic formatting before submitting a story to make sure it matches whatever the house style is, but I'm sure I'm only using a fraction of the horsepower of Word. I don't really care. It does what I need, and I don't need the rest of what it does.

When I upgraded my operating system (on my Mac), my older version of Word would no longer run, so I had to buy the upgrade at that time (couple of years ago). Resented that a little. There was an option to pay a smaller amount each year and get any upgrades pushed down, but as I said, I just need the basics and not all of the other bells and whistles.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on Word 2003, and last week for the first time in ages, I just edited something for someone. He didn't mention any difficulties reading the file I sent back.

I very rarely edit other people's stuff, though. None of the markets I've submitted files to/published with have ever mentioned a problem with my attachments.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I still use Word 2010 on Windows 7. No problems swapping files with people using later versions of Word.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
This isn't an issue for most Word users, but one caution about swapping Word files and Open/Libre Office files: Even though they are both file compatible for .doc and .docx files, advanced formatting is handled differently and doesn't translate over well between the two.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All good advice. Thanks everyone!

By the way I checked and I'm using Word 2010 not 2011.

I tried LibreOffice yesterday and I don't like its navigation panel. I always name my chapters with headings so it's easy to jump around and find things. Word has options on the navigation panel like "select heading and content", which I use all the time, and LibreOffice has options like "Outline level 1-10" which doesn't have any apparent effect at all.

I also really like that Word underlines grammar issues in green. For some people this would just be annoying, but I find I need all the help I can get.

I've also tried Scrivener, but it seems overly complicated to me.

I would upgrade to Word 2019, but MS sells it with a one device license (I don't pirate), and I may want to upgrade my computer soon, so I'll be sticking with Word 2010 for the time being.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with the crowd here and say that I'm using Word 365 and love it. The integration with Office Online is worth the yearly subscription to me, because I write on multiple computers. Being able to open my file off the cloud in Word (without the associated lag of writing in the online word processor) is amazing.

@JohnLine, you should be able to use that one license on your new computer if you buy it; you'll just have to uninstall it and install it on the new one. That's how my multiple licenses have worked with Office 365, anyway.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@JohnLine, you should be able to use that one license on your new computer if you buy it; you'll just have to uninstall it and install it on the new one. That's how my multiple licenses have worked with Office 365, anyway.

Microsoft has three types of licenses that I know of:

• The subscription model: Used in Office 365, users pay a monthly fee and then have access to software. They receive upgrades for free.
  • The OEM License: The vast majority of MS software is sold as OEM, it allows software to be installed on one machine and one machine only, although sometimes they allow more than one install for ease of support. Upgrades are full price
  • The Full License: Costs 2x to 3x the amount of an OEM license. Allows the software to be moved freely from machine to machine. Usually has a discount for upgrades.

Honestly they all stink, and this is why people pirate Word or use LibreOffice. To me LibreOffice feels like using Word 2006, it's perfectly functional but the layout is a bit dated.

Oh Non

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought a cheap laptop, and it didn't come with Word. I've been using Word online, and it's been working great. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't lose my internet connection.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I write on three computers using two word processing software packages--three if you count Word--and DropBox, which is free and saves to the cloud. It makes the latest version available to me wherever I plop myself down, so long as I've got internet.

If someone likes Word 365 and doesn't mind paying for it, that's fine, but you can get something very like its abilities for nothing. I've never had a critique partner, beta reader, or editor have any difficulties with headers, comments, track changes, etc.

When I go to a place without internet (easier than you'd think!), I make a point of using one device only, so I can't end up with different versions that have to be merged. Piece of cake.

Maryn, aware YMMV

Last edited:

Froeschli

Registered
Reaction score
I've got office 365 and [dislike] it. Auto incorrect and all that. If you're swapping manuscripts, IF you're having trouble, ask for them to be sent in pdf format.
Honestly. A word processor doesn't need auto formatting and all the frills. I do like my 90 Skype minute credit though :p
If it wasn't for clients paying me to format their stuff. I'd stick with open office.

raine_d

Registered
Reaction score
I spent years using Word 2003!!! (stickinthemud me??) Bit it's totally incompatible now, and when they started charging the monthly fee for the current Word I bit the bullet and went for Libre. Took a bit of getting used to and I still save everything as .doc files, but it's getting better all the time and there's such a lot of help online if I get stuck. The more I use it the better it gets...

I may try the online Word sometime. I save to an external drive (so online or off doesn't matter) not sure how that would work.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
raine, can I suggest you regularly do some form of backup that doesn't reside in your home? A fire could destroy both the computer and an external drive.

Maryn, who lost an entire novel in Ye Olden Dayes

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Another option you might consider is the Ipad Word app, which is actually surprisingly functional for a tablet version, and it's free. Used with a proper keyboard, it's perfectly fine for writing and editing. Sometimes I use it to do edits on my manuscript. I normally have the working copies on my Onedrive account, so accessing them is just like pulling a file from a network drive and it's just as easy with a tablet as it is with a laptop or desktop with an Internet connection.

Open Office/Libre Office is fine for ebook production, but when it comes to advanced formatting, e.g. a POD print version, it really isn't as good as Word. You can make it work, but Word is more user friendly.

BLAlley

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
writerblalley.wixsite.com
I've written all my books and stories during the last ten years using LibreOffice Writer. It has a minor quirk when saving and re-opening a formatted doc, but that is easily solved with templates. Beyond that, I've seen a number of issues repeated many times regarding Word, yet have never experienced those issues with Libre. I use it to write and also perform my paperback formatting.
It's also free, although if you use it consider donating.

OpenOffice is a virtual clone of Libre but no longer has proper support for users.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apache supports Open Office and has for some time, if I'm not mistaken.

RBEmerson

Believes own press releases
Registered
Reaction score
IMNSHO, any word handler that's online is heartbreak waiting to happen. Wind up somewhere in the dark and you're ready to do some work. Oops - time to read printed(!) or Kindle books instead.

But I stay in civilization, you say! Happiness is getting the last hotel room and finding a) WiFi signal is a rumor only and b) there's no hardwired Ethernet. BTDT in Fernandina, FL for example.

Sadi47

Registered
Reaction score
I am using Office 10 and it has some really good features you should try this.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with RBEmerson on word processing and document access that exist only online. While my new home has much faster internet than the previous one, I have the occasional stretch when it's worse than a dial-up or does not exist, especially when it's hot. (Twice this week so far.) Lightning strikes and high winds can impair or interrupt service. (Had that happen at my old house three or four times.) There are many, many places in the US that don't have internet or cell service still--and I don't mean way out in the desert or forest but places tourists and travelers go on well-paved roads. It's a big country, and the oceans are even bigger.

And please don't start me on hotel and cruise ship internet speeds...

Maryn, whose hot button is showing

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
LibreOffice is not bad , for something that is free . I use office 2010. It will do everything you need to do . You can still buy it for , on line , £30 or so . I can't argue with other peoples preferences, but LibreOffice is not as good as word .

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
stephenf, could you elaborate on what Word can do that Libre Office cannot, or what it does more easily? I figure the more we all know, the better decision each of us can make.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
stephenf, could you elaborate on what Word can do that LibreOffice cannot, or what it does more easily? I figure the more we all know, the better decision each of us can make.

If you strip out all the beliefs and price issues and just look at the programs as a word processor for writers , there is not much difference. LibreOffice is a copy of word . And as a copy it doesn't look as good or work as well . Some tools available on word, are an add on for LibreOffice and are not as good ether . LibreOffice is actually good when it comes to compatibility when opening documents . I know pople here will argue that they have never had any compatibility problems using LibreOffice , but I have had problems opening LibreOffice documents in word . This might be something I'm doing wrong ? I also know most submissions ask for word docs. So if your using word , you know it will be correct . On my machine I have , LibreOffice , Chrome Docs and Microsoft Office , I always use word as a preference. But all three have fans that will defend their preference with heated enthusiasm.

Last edited: