Nano November - 500 words/day writing or editing - all genres welcome!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Because it's NANO TIME. :hooray:

How'd October go for you? Did you crush your goals, or fall a bit short?

What are your goals for November?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
October was rough for me due to my headaches and workload. I want to start paring stuff down, but I'm not sure where to start. :(

I had two goals:

~20k on The Vanishing - I got about 10k done, all hard won, and am 500 words away from 30k (halfway)
~Copyedit of F. - I'm about 75% done. I had to do some juggling

So not terrible, but not great, either. I am happy to be almost at the halfway point of The Vanishing. That feels good. :)

This month, I have 3 goals:

~30k on The Vanishing (ambitious, I know)
~Finish copyedit of F.
~Downtime!

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, I fell a bit short of my October goals, but I felt like I was getting back into the swing of things by the end, so I'm hoping for better this month.

This month's goal is 30k - a half-Nano, as it were. I got 1668 words yesterday (yes, I did stop there deliberately, one word over the Nano daily goal) so that's a good start.

Best of luck to everyone with their goals this month!

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
October was okay - I finished my third edit of Paroxysm (my WIP) and am about 1/4 way through my fourth edit. The word count still isn't coming down as much as I would like (although it is down to 320k from 423k). My progress has been hampered because there is still lots to do in our new house, my job continues to consume my daylight hours. I am coaching 15 people for a fight night (boxing) on the 16th, that, combined with my own training, is accounting for most of my evenings.

I'm still optimistic that I can get beyond the 2/3s point of this edit by the end of November and I am hoping that the 4th edit will be finished by the end of the year and I can get on with my next project.

I've held off on my beta reader until I've finished the forth edit, partly because I chickened out, but also because he's going to visit his daughter in France over Xmas and so will have more time for reading then (at least that's what I'm telling myself!)

Good luck to everyone - your goals, sound ambitious, but you've got to aim big (rather than what I do in target shooting, which is to fire, and then declare that whatever I hit as the target :))

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations everyone!
I hope you're all doing well.

October wasn't great, but not as bad as I thought either. Through new writing and editing, I added just over 4K words to project. Was hoping for five.
This month I was going to continue working on the story, but an idea came to me that I might try for NaNoWriMo. A bit of a late start, but a start is better than no start, right?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, I'm coming along slowly. About 6400 words so far for the month, which is off the pace I need, but I got 1800 words today, so a much better day.

Hope everyone is doing well!

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Can't believe we are about to crest the middle of the month already! Once November is gone, we'll be staring down the barrels of 2020.

I'm still editing, editing, editing...

Fairly sure I will finish my (4th) edit by the end of the year. Word count is likely to still be north of 300k though (considering it was 423k when I first started editing, I suppose it's a small victory). Prose feels a little tighter and I've cut down on some sub-plots and characterisation.

The downside to finishing the edit is that I will have to finally pass it over for beta and potentially think about querying - frankly, I'd sooner fight Stipe Miocic!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations,

Generally a busy month so far. Getting some writing done when I can so the month shouldn't be a total loss. I decided to go the NaNoWriMo route after all.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
::hugs and cheers all::

Good grief, I haven't been here since the 1st? Shame on me.

I did finish the copyedit, so that's one thing off the list.

At about 6k (of 30k) on The Vanishing. I had to tell my publishing people that I'm probably not going to make my deadline. Work's been nuts. I've started dictating and it's an adjustment. Especially since I have it transcribed so I can't see the words and mistakes. A bit of a shocker reading over my first two transcriptions. I've done the dictation part before for many years, but it's been awhile and I forgot how to talk. (Yes, there's a special way to do it). So that needs to be worked out.

Headaches haven't been too bad, thankfully. The trigger point injections seem to be working.

Hopefully we can all make a push to finish strong.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Coming up to the end of the month... where does the time go? I'm pretty sure there's a little imp who eats all the spare chunks of time I save up.

I'm just over 14k for the month, hopefully 15k in the next couple of days. That will mean I will have achieved 50% of my obviously overambitious target, which is somehow more comforting than getting 46% of the way there.

How's everyone else doing? I think one of my goals for next month needs to be "update this thread more often"...

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to my American counterparts. A pleasant Thursday to the rest.

I hope everyone is doing well and hitting their goals. I cleared 10k on my NaNoWriMo idea. Not sure if I'll get anymore done before December, but that's alright. Best wishes that you're all doing well.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to our cousins on the far side of the pond!

November has been a mixed bag. I have a little over a hundred pages to finish my fourth edit and I've worked out what I will do next. Due to the fact that my WIP is still far too long, I've decided to cut out two characters and a subplot completely and also reshape one of the set-ups for one of the reveals so that it is shorter.

Completing the fourth edit will mean that I have my story in it's entirety as I intended it, before I start cutting out whole parts of the story.

I am hopeful that the fifth edit will be done by the end of the year - and that I can pass it out for beta (and also start my next project).

Hope you're making lots of progress!

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
::hugs and cheers and commiserates::

I wrote about 7,500 words on The Vanishing, way below my goal of 30k. I also have a thumb RSI, which happened a few days before Thanksgiving which threw everything into chaos because I was virtually one-handed. :( But other than that, things are okay. Still persevering.