How do I get my book published and sold?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
That's excellent, and yes of course it was much harder to do due diligence pre-internet.

But for the newbies: in general money (hah!) flows to the writer - to the extent that it flows at all. Don't be paying your agent to read or submit without having a very special reason to. It isn't the norm.

I agree - I was ripped off, but hopefully some good will come from it if new authors learn from my experience and take your advice.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Back in the 1980's I wrote two horror novels (on Wordstar :tongue). Self-publishing back then was only through vanity presses - and quite expensive. After sending a ton of query letters out an agent took me on - accepting my first, then later my second book. Anyone who has gone this route knows that getting an agent's attention is FAR from the end of the game... my agent would send teasers (the first 30 pages) out to publishing houses every month: no interest, not right for us, etc. I was paying my agent $60 every month to send the queries to the publishers. After something over a year, I gave it up and trunked the books.

There was no internet to investigate agents, or even do research on how to get a book published back then. (Only the ARPNET was around - I was on it, but it wasn't much use). As Sage and Lizmonster suggested above, I eventually reached my limit and decided to pull the plug.

After I retired and began writing again I went straight to self-publishing.

I'm sorry you were scammed like that. It was harder in the 80's to vet agents, and anyone can call themselves a literary agent. Thanks for sharing that experience. Writers on this forum should know that real agents don't charge for representation; nor do they send out "teasers" to random editors.

Last edited:

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Edit the book until you have no more to edit. Read it and edit it so much you know it word for word from beginning to end.
When it's as clean as can be, send it to betas.
Edit again.
Send it to betas again.
When no one points out any problems, submit it to an agent.
Hope the agent sells it to a publisher.
Promote it the best you can.