Scheduling a Sale for My Book on Amazon?

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but am I able to schedule a sale if my book is wide and not part of Kindle Unlimited? If so, how? Because when I googled it, all I found was how to do it through KDP Select and isn't that KU?

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a place to do this. I'm not in KU, and the price promotion section isn't enabled for me.

I've always just done it manually, ie, changing the price to what I want the sale price to be, then changing it back when I was ready for the sale to be over. The price will take 24 hours or so to update.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just FYI, KDP Select is where an author opts to have their book for sale on Amazon, and ONLY on Amazon. Kindle Unlimited is a subscriber service, where for a monthly fee readers can "borrow" KU-eligible books from Amazon rather than buy them outright. KU authors get paid by the number of pages read.

Your book can't be eligible for KU unless you're a KDP Select author - but they're not the same thing.

Since you're wide, just change your price manually as LJD suggests.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
The other thing you can do is manually lower your price on the sales channels outside of Amazon, and Amazon will do a price match. That is, if someone reports a lower price elsewhere.

That said, a sale on a first book by a new author isn't going to be effective as a marketing tool, at least in my opinion.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
The other thing you can do is manually lower your price on the sales channels outside of Amazon, and Amazon will do a price match. That is, if someone reports a lower price elsewhere.

That said, a sale on a first book by a new author isn't going to be effective as a marketing tool, at least in my opinion.

I agree. A sale on a new book isn't going to do anything for you if it's not part of a series or if you only have one book. Once you get a few books out then you can start doing sales. Just put the first book up at the price you feel is best. I wouldn't price 0.99 though out the gate because all it does is train readers to expect you will be pricing that low so if you want to raise prices down the line it will be difficult. I'd say 2.99 is a good price for a new book if you just want to get people to take a chance but other than that it is up to you. Pricing too low or too high can be detrimental starting out. A sale benefits you if you have other books to funnel readers to. At this point, it's the brand building that's extremely important so you need to get more books out to build readers. If this is a series then I'd get those books out pronto (not telling you to rush, but get them out in a timely manner at your own speed). Make them a priority and once you have 3 of them out you can do permafree (a must for wide authors IMO) for the first book or a sale, etc. Most readers don't trust a series from an author, new or otherwise until they've released three books in the series and some only read a series when it's complete. I wouldn't focus too much on advertising this book either because at this point advertising one book is not going to get much mileage. I can't stress how important it is for you to get more stuff out and then focus on the marketing.

Down the line, once you have a few more books you can try submitting to Bookbub for a Featured Deal promotion, which is INSANELY great if you can get it.

Last edited:

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
I'm only going to do it the week of Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I'm doing it because I seem to be getting good feedback with my facebook ads through engagements, but it's not translating into sales.

Also, my book is the first one of a two-book series.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
You can always lower the price on Amazon (and elsewhere) manually, you just can't do the easy promo via KDP if you're not exclusive.