Hello to all of you amazing writers, old and new and somewhere inbetween!

jjhoward

Purveyor of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you are all doing well and meeting your writing goals.
My name is Jeremy, with the possibility of JJ for my books (undecided). I am brand new to Absolute Write. I will admit that I am new to forums, other than in online college courses, and it gets a bit overwhelming.

I am getting into the writing scene a bit late in life, 44, as I never felt confident in my ability to create something that people might enjoy reading. Now I am more in the mindset of wanting to leave something for my family and friends to remember me by... but still hoping that others will find it and enjoy it as well.
Currently writing two books, one is a young adult Dystopian duology with a possible spinoff and the other sits somewhere in the fine line of YA and adult and is a series of short stories attached with an overall arc. I have a rather long list of book ideas that I want to get written, but these two are keeping me quite busy. The downside is that I have the attention span of a gnat, which makes staying on track a bit of a Mission Impossible episode. Any advice from those of you who have this issue? It would be greatly appreciated.

I have a varied past with lots of careers that didn't pan out: Bouncer, bodyguard, Marine, law enforcement officer, automotive paint lab technician and creator, carpenter, store manager, video game design instructor at a college, etc. A bit of a Jack-of-all-Trades, if you will. Health was usually the cause of change. With the development of persistent postural-perceptual dizziness (PPPD) and the inability to move my head without activating it, writing is one of the few careers left as an option. It is not, however, the reason for wanting to write. The best way I can describe PPPD is to watch The Hunger Games movie, where Katniss is stung by tracker-jackers and the awkward multi-zoom/multi-pan imagery the camera demonstrates as the effects of those stings. Now imagine living like that with random movements of your head, patterns, store layouts, horizons, etc that trigger it. I never lived through the 60's, but I'm guessing they had some pretty trippy similarities.

As far as private life goes: I am a father/dad/grandfather/husband who loves telling stories, made up on the fly, to trip up my family and provide them with laughter or a shaking head. I am a lover and collector of video games, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Divergent, and The Hunger Games books, movies, and collectibles. I spend my days primarily alone, if you don't count my cocker-spaniel Hershey and American long-hair cat Rascal (empty-nester) which gives me plenty of time to write, but also gets a bit lonely, which is why this forum sounded welcoming. I was listening to old episodes of First Draft with Sarah Enni and Veronica Roth had mentioned this website as being important to her when she was starting out. Thought I would take a look and see what it was all about. It's a bit overwhelming, but I'm looking forward to seeing what is on here and making acquaintances and hopefully friends. Not easy for introverts.

A year ago today, my wife and I moved to central Wisconsin from northwest Iowa. We'd never been here before, but her new job required it. I was hoping to find a local writing group, but haven't had any luck so far. It's beautiful up here, but not much to do in a small city/town.
A lot to take in all at once, but hopefully you've gotten to know me a bit and will say hi. It is a pleasure to meet all of you and I hope to be reading your works soon.

Last edited:

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
Hey man, good on you for pressing on with the writing. It is never too late and you offer a perspective that a lot of people probably lack. Looking forward to reading your stuff.

You mentioned you are new to forums so I'll give you a tip: Use paragraph breaks in your posts. Lots of them. More than you think. It'll feel like too much but it makes posts a lot easier to read. A lot of forum veterans will skip a wall of text altogether if it's not broken down into smaller chunks.

Peace!

Chronodendron

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

You came to the right place. There's much to learn here and plenty of introverts :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to this massive site, JJ. Enjoyed reading your opening intro. Enjoy browsing- something for everyone here. :welcome::Hug2::snoopy:

jjhoward

Purveyor of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Regdog. Looks like plenty of content to learn and enjoy. Thank you for the help. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Chronodendron. Looks like I finally found my people. :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Welcome! And good luck finding an in-person writing group. They're quite remarkable once you have the luck of finding one.

Enjoy!