Christmas Hymns book

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
A new word search book, this time Xmas hymn themed.

I've been struggling with this. Most of the existing Xmas word search book covers on Amazon are either too busy or don't look very xmas/bible.

others.jpg

I quite like the idea of nativity and so designed something based on that. It looks good, bit I feel it's missing something.

Cover 1A Click to make bigger

I've tried some variations, but none seem right.

Cover 1B Click to make bigger

Cover 1C Click to make bigger

I think am I stuck in a mental rut, but people on this forum are always helpful for snapping me out of it, so I'd appreciate any comments.

PS. I know I've been posting a lot of word search books lately, but this is the last for a long while, I promise!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I was going to chose one of the three, I'd go with 1C - the border makes it more seasonal than the other two. However, the photo of the statuary isn't very interesting, and the blue of the Virgin's robe seems at odds with the Christmas-y red and green. Since it's a word "search" book, have you thought about using some Wise Men artwork and maybe a star graphic? You could also try a more interesting font for "Christmas."

I have to add: how come you've titled this "Christmas Bible Hymns and Carols?" Why not just "Christmas Hymns and Carols?"

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
If I had to pick one, then option C, but none of these really say Christmas to me. The example in your top three (with the angels and the nativity is my favorite--the starry night, the angels)

Not sure about word search, but I read a LOT of Christmas fiction every year, and there's a definite look to the covers. Snow. Christmas lights. Bells. Wreath or greenery or bow or tree. Happy cheerful cozy that makes you recognize it as a Christmas book as soon as you see the thumbnail and want to click buy then drink a peppermint latte.

Debbie Macomber's books, which I read every year, follow this same cover theme whether they are a contemporary or a religious novel that particular year. I think you can go the nativity route, too, instead of secular objects, but right now with just Mary, Jesus, and nothing else, the cover looks pretty dry and may only appeal to a niche audience. I think if you're going to do that, I would go for more of a full cover concept like the example you had above (the nativity scene with the angels and starry background), or include sacred elements, but with secular ones as well.

Last edited:

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
@KBooks @mrsmig Thank you so much for the advice, especially the useful tips about the font and Debbie Macomber's Christmas books.

I've tried reworking the designs to make them more fun and Christmassy:

Cover 2A Click to make bigger

Cover 2B Click to make bigger

I did also try adding some Christmas Backgrounds, but I think that makes them too busy:

Cover 2C Click to make bigger

Cover 2D Click to make bigger

At this stage, I am not sure if the nativity figures have potential, or if I should just drop them at start from scratch.

I would love any opinions. Thanks!

have you thought about using some Wise Men artwork
There's multiple books in the series, and I am actually planning on using the Wisemen for the later titles. Also, it has Bible Hymns to match up with other books in the series. Thanks!

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I really like options 2C and 2D! They don't look busy to me, they look Christmasy. Think of a Christmas tree. It's busy, and people love that! IMHO, 2A and 2B are still kind of dry.

I would echo mrsmg that "Bible Hymns and Carols" would look cleaner as "Hymns and Carols." Are there hymns that aren't associated with the bible?

At this stage, I am not sure if the nativity figures have potential, or if I should just drop them at start from scratch.

I would love any opinions. Thanks!

I think using nativity figures will appeal to the religious corner of the market. It might be a turn-off for some who are not as religious but might enjoy Christmas word searches anyway, but you know your market and if that's who you mainly think is going to be purchasing your word searches, keep them.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I would think it depends on your audience: there are people who would like something Biblical, something Christian for Christmas, without getting Rudolph the Reindeer, or Dashing Through the Snow tossed in there. Or 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus'!
They would probably be grateful for the Nativity scene on the cover, as a heads-up.