November 2019 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 19 - 1083 words. I planned on typing longhand last night, so I wrote a flash scene first. Then when I went to type I realized I needed to write an opening so the longhand portion of the scene would blend smoothly with my previous typed entry. So I ended up writing at least 500 new words anyway, which punted me over the goalposts. Score!

April - how's it working for me? In a word: Arrrggghhhhh. I keep putting off writing until right before bed, then try to come up with 1000 words of anything before midnight. It's my own fault for not starting earlier in the day. But I do my best procrastination during the daylight hours...

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Bit of a driveby here.

It's the wife's birthday and we have relatives staying so little time to do anything other than the essentials. 758 words on Demon Hunter and a tiny scrap of work on Logic Bomb.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Taylor, it counts if you think it does.
April, I get 3x the cooked as the dry. If I want to cook with them, here’s my pattern - soak on Monday night, cook on Tuesday, use what I need when I cook on Weds, & freeze the other two portions for next project. Fyi/fwiw. & congrats on the 2 chapters of revising :D
Congrats on that drafting, Taylor.
Excellent work Ptero!
Congrats on the 758 Keith :)

Nov 20

WIP — 1/4 page
R/SC - errands & cooking (now I got the heart of ~10 lunches. W00t!)
PB/$$ — tidy/sorting/culling, working on some repair & other projects

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Taylor: Doh! Well, at least you got it the second time.

Pterofan: Ha! You’re doing it though! I find when I have to push for words I come up with ideas I wouldn’t have had otherwise (and the rest of the time I come up with complete drivel :p).

Keithy: Nice work. Enjoy the celebrations :)

Layla: That sounds sensible. God, you should write a Life book! In my own culinary adventures, I currently have home-made vegan almond croissants in the oven … They don’t look much like croissants.

I revised another two chapters. These early ones are not so bad, but I know there are a few horror-shows waiting for me near the end. Ho hum. I guess I’ll face them soon enough. Onwards!

Day 20: Decent bit; 3 miles; musical mishaps

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 21
Right, was feeling quite shonky this morning but decided that I was over being sick, and my body was basically telling me it was time to get back to life. Took a brisk walk and that felt nice, so proceeded to do yoga and jump in the sauna, and felt much refreshed after. Still a bit tired this evening, but tomorrow I intend to be back at it. Enough of this silliness!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 20 - around 1280-something. Wrote two separate flash scenes to bump up my word count, then ended up writing half a page longhand on the book. If I can keep this up, I'll have written over 30K words for the month without actually finishing anything. I think I know what my goal for December is going to be.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
April - I like your onwards! :)
Magnus - take care!
pterofan - good 1K+
Daniel - ah don't worry you've written tons in the last few weeks.

OK still very busy with relatives etc. Managed to get 550 words done on Demon Hunter. Ice demon vs some war galleys. The ice demon won.
Did some poking and prodding with the Sun Queen. that might be back to 7-8 POV characters.
Did another tiny bit on the outline for Logic Bomb.

I need to do so much research!

and so much housework :(

keep swimming.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Glad you’re feeling better, Magnus.

Pterofan: Woo! You can definitely keep this up :)

Daniel: You beat that blank page though!

Keithy: Well done for getting words in amongst all the life stuff.

Revised one stinky chapter then peeked at the next one and decided it was time for cocktails.

Day 21: Decent bit; 3 miles; fun run

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
“shonky”, Magnus? I guess one part of that word is ‘wonky’ ;) way to overcome :D
Ptero, love seeing your K counts!
Daniel, you’re a fighter!
Congrats on the 550 Keithy
April, way to keep at it!

Day 21

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - binge reading
BP/$$ - earning service, a bit of tidy/sorting

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Quick Drive by: We are getting ready to leave early for the Thanksgiving Holiday. Quick note - I received feedback from my second beta reader. Its interesting - I sent the ms out in three installments, the last one being the last half of the book ~110K in words. In both cases the two beta readers who have finished, pouring through the last half in a matter of days. Just to clarify, I don't know these people personally. We have a common acquaintance who connected us for the beta read.

This is what she said via text: "Hey just finished the rest of the book. WOW! Had a hard time putting it down when all the action and intrigue started. You are great at describing those battle scenes. … I will start working on the line edits for part 2 when I get back [from the holiday break]" - she has taken a little more time because she is line editing each chapter. She already sent me the line edits for part 1 - Ch 1-13. There are 54 chapters in all.

Beta3 is also line editing but is taking it much slower. She is currently on part 2 but stated that she is really enjoying the book.

So, all three Betas have provided very positive feedback so far. Two are line editing the ms. They've all provided me some very insightful feedback. I have started working on Book 1 edits for Draft #4 using the Beta feedback I have in hand so far. I've only reviewed the first 1000 words so far.

I hope everyone is doing well, and for those living in the US. Enjoy your family time during Thanksgiving and recall those things you are grateful for in your life.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Layla: Whatcha eatin’ Layla? Also, good work on getting organized and with keeping up with the important stuff! I organize my work area daily. :D

Vicky: Hey, words are words! Mind if I ask you what your fan-fiction project is? Just curious! :D

Starrystorm: Yeah, I’m fighting of a bit of a bug myself. My throat is taking a beating. Good solid word-count!

Ptero: That’s a great informative response! I also think the reasoning is solid, “They’re all drafts anyway, so what’s the difference?” I might experiment with this method and thanks for elaborating on the process and making it clearer to me. :) Also, great wordcount! You’re in the 1K club! :D

Magnus: Hope you feel better soon!

April: *Waves* No worries, hope to catch up tomorrow! Good job on revising!

Keithy: Nice answer! Ad-hoc seems to be a good way too! Thanks for making it clearer! Great word-count! Keep swimmin’ matey!

Starrystorm: It’s all good, catch up later! Good word count!

(Yesterday) Me: 2,416. I passed out before I was able to write up an answer so I thought I’d do it today. I’ll post another one about my progress today later. You’re all doing great as far as I can see! Keep it up! Can you believe we’re so close to December? :O

Crossover between the Dragon Age franchise and Skyrim. A mage terrorizing Thedas sends a bunch of characters in Skyrim (including herself). It has humor, massive conflicts between the characters thrown in Skyrim, and other stuff:

The world is in peril. Kasia St. Ikrudge, a mage, is reigning terror upon Thedas. The hero of Ferelden, the champion of Kirkwall and the ex-inquisitor have gathered with allies to discuss possible strategies to proceed. But it's a trap.

In an attempt to fulfill her plans, Kasia sends our heroes and their friends (plus herself) hurtling across time, and into a place they will eventually know as Skyrim. Now running out of time, and separated, our group of heroes must stop a plot to overtake Skyrim and Thedas. And they must find a way home before they are forever trapped in a world that is not theirs.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 21 - at least 1000 words, maybe 1100. Most of it was flash filler, with about 300+ longhand on book 2.

Book 2's looking to be short and fast-paced. Book 1, on the other hand, feels like it's dragging. No wonder I don't want to write it. :tongue

My witch is definitely up for a threesome with the two heroes, as long as the coyote shifter (or "dog boy," as she calls him) can refrain from sniffing her butt.

Spent some time this morning catching up on typing the longhand. I just discovered my total count for November 6 was over 1400 words. That's the best I've done all month. Can't wait to check out some of my other mystery totals.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to write a soft magic system for my WIP and it’s actually a bit harder than I thought it would be.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
April - well done on your stinky chapter
Robert Donovan - ooh sounds like you're onto a winner there!
Pterofan - your story sounds interesting.

I did 570 words today on Demon Hunter. Shana's helping Chancellor Kennie get the transport gate working.
Did a bit more on Logic Bomb - I need to do a lot of research on that.
Also did some work on Sun Queen - working out who knows what and how Liana "the reader" will find out. There's at least one character that I might not need as a POV.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow - I need to put the house straight after the visitors leave.

keep swimming! :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hello KR, woo! It’s really interesting to get feedback. That’s exiting, to hear it’s so positive.

Congrats on the words & the story progress, Ptero

Nice keeping at it, Taylor

Congrats on that 570, Keithy :)
(ps - if you ever see 'Keith' here, it's because that pesky auto-correct snuck its unasked for help in)

Day 22

WIP — 3/4 page (really had trouble with it this morning. I just wanted to write about my MC climbing a flight of stairs - that’s all. That shouldn’t be too hard, right? But the wise among us will be saying ‘it depends on the flight of stairs…)

R/SC — printed ads for finding a Jan 1 housemate & a few other errands & treated myself to some cafe time ;)
BP/$$ — advanced a few tidy/decluttering projects

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy: I agree, research is overloading my senses too right now! Good job on the 500 and making those scenes shine!

April: Thank you! Makes me feel better. :) Time for cocktails? Pull out the party hat! :D Also, I’m sure your “stinky” chapter is great! :D

Layla: Thanks Layla! Binge reading is awesome. I do it daily. = D

Robert: Great news Robert! Good stuff!

Vicky: Ooooooo! Thanks for elaborating! Sounds fun! =-)

Pterofan: Good work! Mystery totals indeed!

Keithy (Once more!): Good job! You’re keeping the consistency. That’s great!

Layla: Oh I hear you! I had such a hard time with such a minor part the other day too. Some days, it’s just not flowing. Still, you persevered like a champ! :D

Me: Better today. Coming out of a horrible mood that’s lasted a few. 400 words, but they were decent, and I had many new story ideas (5) over the last couple of days. Also, my work is taking a turn for the more literary and being complex. I really like it and it’s becoming more multidimensional. You see, I was all thinking about the mercenaries trying to locate the story, that aspect of it, but what about the story from the side of the ransomers? What if?

I read this, from wiki: “The Anglo–Persian War (Persian: جنگ ایران و انگلستان) lasted between November 1, 1856 and April 4, 1857, and was fought between Great Britain and Iran (Persia) which was at the time ruled by the Qajar dynasty. In the war, the British opposed an attempt by Iran to press its claim on the city of Herat. Though Herat had been part of Iran under the Qajar dynasty at the time the war broke out, it had declared itself independent under its own rebellious emir and placed itself under the protection of the British in India and in alliance with the Emirate of Kabul (the forebear of the modern state of Afghanistan). The British campaign was successfully conducted under the leadership of Major General Sir James Outram in two theatres—on the southern coast of Iran near Bushehr and in southern Mesopotamia. The war resulted in Persians withdrawing from Herat and signing a new treaty in which it surrendered its claims on the city, and the British withdrawing from southern Iran."

What if? What if the war figures in the story? What if this is before, or after, the conflict? I can change the time of the story, since it’s still in a very rough draft. What if, what if, what if?

I’m getting more inspired and that’s always a good thing.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Layla: Woohoo for 1 1/4 page! Mmm … cafe time sounds wonderful.

Daniel: Great news re the feedback!

vicky: I’ve never played Skyrim but I LOVE Dragon Age Inquisition. Your fanfic sounds so cool :)

Pterofan: I’m sure Book 1 will produce the juicy stuff when it’s good and ready.

Keithy: Very impressive to be thinking about two books on top of having guests.

Daniel: Glad you’re feeling inspired!

Fixed another stinker. I honestly have no idea if this book is any good … Need to get it to my CP asap for a second opinion.

Day 22: Decent bit; 4 miles; social dodging

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while. I'm still recovering from being sick. I wrote yesterday and finished up beta edits. One more draft and I'll send it out to a editor. Or at least that's the plan.

DAY 22-- Deleted a chapter since only one scene was important, and incorporated that scene to the beginning of the next chapter. Also finished writing that chapter from Shade's POV.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 22 - around 1100 words (600 toward the series, the rest flash)

Still typing. Hope I don't discover those longhand days fell short of 1000 or I'll be really ticked.

April - it better. Writing a series is tough enough, but a series with no Book 1? Yeesh. Even worse, the Book 1 characters return in Book 5, so they need to be introduced first. One of them turns into a vampire, but that's not what's holding things up. I may have to plow through this one, set it aside, then rip it apart and rewrite it. There goes my January.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel - yes, very interesting to have real-world events in a story. I'm thinking of doing "Fire Witch" just before the French Revolution. Coz I love the 18th century.
Starrystorm - get well soon.

Didn't actually write anything today, but fiddled with the plot for "sun queen" and for "Logic bomb".

research:

I need to learn something about American Football. I've only ever watched it for like ten seconds at most and don't like it. But it's a high school thing.

non-writing

as expected, putting the house straight.

keep swimming :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel - way to go, staying with it
April! You got this!
Starry, good to see you, glad to hear about your progress :)
Ptero, sounds like a good days work
Hi Keithy!

Day 23

WIP - 1 1/4 page. I pushed myself a wee bit.
R/SC — got groceries on the way home from work
BP/$$ — earning service, moar tidy/sorting & a wee bit of

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
April: Thanks! And I’m sure the book is good! :=)

Starrystorm: Exciting news! Great stuff!

Pterofan: I’m sure you can do it!

Keithy: Ooooooo! Such an exciting time! The French Revolution was intense too. Thanks too!

Layla: Comin’ in with that production! Great!

Me: I wrote 2500 words yesterday, but it was for an essay draft. It’s for a final, and I still get feedback, but I put a lot of effort in and am hoping for a good mark. If not, I’m at a loss of what to do in that particular course—I got graded a D- on the other essay for the course—the lowest essay mark I’ve ever gotten. :-(

Steady the course! December approaches everyone! Great work! :D

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 23 - about 1100 words. Longhand's always an estimate, so if I'm typing flash to fill in, I try to go at least 100 words over what I think I need, just to play it safe. The longhand I guessed at about 400 words, so I made sure the typing hit at least 700. One more week to go!

Yesterday I discovered my coyote shifter character is an Internet troll. He loves to punk cryptozoologists and conspiracy theorists.

Daniel - my only takeaway from being an English major was that all the writers we were made to study never went to college. I hope this puts your low grade into the proper perspective. :Hug2:

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel - whuuuutt?? That teacher!! Maybe s/he's trying to motivate you? Or maybe you look like the ex. Congrats on that 2500, tho! (ps - maybe ask the teacher why the low grade?)

Ptero - excellent work, keep at it! :D

day 24

WIP 1 1/4 page.
R/SC - cooked some chicken. Wanted to more but I'm feeling like it was already a lot when all I wanted to do was look at the internet and eat chips till I was too tired to stay awake.
BP/$$. earning service. Just shy of 11 hours.